Maliq Brown | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown

Not prepared to say "Brown can do anything JBA can do better" at this point. I think we are very much on the same page as far as potential long term. But at this very moment - last few games and few more going forward until Brown can show he understands the defense - JBA is the better overall fit. Brown is definitely a better rebounder and finisher but we have not seen him in a game situations with starters from the opposing team. JB does not put him out there! Has to be a reason. JBA in the last two games is the change that sparked the team. Brown has a much, much higher ceiling but as of right now JBA provides what the team seems to need to play together. Others on the board claim the real key is getting Benny out of the game. This could be what is really happening and only JB and the coaching staff really know.
And I’m not prepared to say JBA is the better overall fit at this moment. All we know for sure is Brown isn’t playing. We don’t know why.

Even if JBA is the better fit, zero minutes for Brown in most games makes zero sense.

Bell doesn't bring anything unless hes hot from 3. Kid shoots set shots from 3. I just dont see it.

He is trying. I see that improvement vs. the first couple games. But he has to get tougher and hungrier for the ball.

It may just be simply a timing thing but last night the team was not able to break away from Oakland during the first ten minutes or so and seemed disorganized on both ends of the floor. Jon Bol entered the game and immediately the team settled down. Both the offense and defense started to smooth out. This is similar to the ND game except he played many more minutes at ND. Jon Bol seems to be the "little gear" that make the big gears run smoothly. At least for two games he has been the catalyst to better the flow of the game for the Orange. His last play, seconds before the first half buzzer, when he grabbed a rebound and fired it the length of the floor to Mintz for a layup was a heads up play.

Yes, the last couple games, JBA is kind of doing what I expected to see from Copeland. Unfortunately, Copeland is really trying too hard right now. Way too many turnovers, bad passes, forced shots, dumb fouls. He's a good player and has a good attitude. He just needs to calm down and make the simple play, like Maliq Brown has been doing.

E198BA7E-D7CD-4120-888F-AC39460E6AA3.jpeg

The numbers are the numbers. In games, Brown has done everything that he can possibly do and then some when he’s had the chance, so far.

If it’s not enough in a year where our forward production is probably the weakest it’s ever been…..hey. What can really be said?

The numbers are the numbers.

The numbers are the numbers. In games, Brown has done everything that he can possibly do and then some when he’s had the chance, so far.

If it’s not enough in a year where our forward production is probably the weakest it’s ever been…..hey. What can really be said?

The numbers are the numbers.
This is very interesting and kind of feels right (although Hima seems high). Some of these players contributions may take place in mop up time with lower level players to play against. That may be the one weakness of this measure but I don’t know how you’d correct for it. It does support what our eyes are telling us with Maliq and Bol.

I've been very surprised at JBA's play. He's been good out there on d, hustling around, making nice passes on o. Definitely more than I expected. But his ceiling is severely limited, bottom line. I'd like Brown to get half of his minutes, at least, right now. Nobody on this front court is good enough to never sit vs the options behind him (except Jesse when he's not in foul trouble).

I've been very surprised at JBA's play. He's been good out there on d, hustling around, making nice passes on o. Definitely more than I expected. But his ceiling is severely limited, bottom line. I'd like Brown to get half of his minutes, at least, right now. Nobody on this front court is good enough to never sit vs the options behind him (except Jesse when he's not in foul trouble).

Really, the elephant in the living room is the lack of productivity from the starting forward tandem, relative to the reserves. And I'm not trying to throw Benny / Bell under the bus -- but they are inconsistent, at best.

Benny is a five-star recruit. It makes sense that he [as a non-frosh] is being given the opportunity to start, but if he doesn't produce any given game, then it should just be a token start.

Set aside the HS rankings -- if players like Brown and Taylor are playing at a higher level, then they should get the bulk of the minutes.

And I extrapolate that to JBA. Lowest rated guy on the roster. But unless I'm mistaken, this is his fourth year in the program, and he's clearly a guy that JB trusts. Plus, he isn't playing badly. So that explains why he's getting minutes -- JB plays guys that he trusts.

At the end of the day, we need to play the guys who deliver. Doesn't matter who they are.

This is very interesting and kind of feels right (although Hima seems high). Some of these players contributions may take place in mop up time with lower level players to play against. That may be the one weakness of this measure but I don’t know how you’d correct for it. It does support what our eyes are telling us with Maliq and Bol.
Yeah, it doesn’t take into account if it’s “garbage time” or the level of the competition. And also inside players always rate higher because they tend to have higher FG%’s and less turnovers. So it’s really only useful for comparing to others that play the same position.

Yes, the last couple games, JBA is kind of doing what I expected to see from Copeland. Unfortunately, Copeland is really trying too hard right now. Way too many turnovers, bad passes, forced shots, dumb fouls. He's a good player and has a good attitude. He just needs to calm down and make the simple play, like Maliq Brown has been doing.
It is almost painful to watch Copeland like he played against Oakland. It is so obvious that he is pressing to get floor time. He has to be totally frustrated to go from a star high school player to last man off the bench. He sees all his opportunities rushing out the door. What makes him good is now making him bad, resulting from his over reaching effort. I agree, he needs to settle down and make the simple plays. This is where we need coaching support like Hopkins provided.

Glad to see Maliq get some good run. 11 and 7 is a solid game. And as usual he just doesn’t make mistakes. We need rebounds and he’s getting em darn it. He and Benny should be starting. Bring JBA and Justin in to sub. Bell is a situational player.

Glad to see Maliq get some good run. 11 and 7 is a solid game. And as usual he just doesn’t make mistakes. We need rebounds and he’s getting em darn it. He and Benny should be starting. Bring JBA and Justin in to sub. Bell is a situational player.

Yes - as long as that situation is:
Giving up open 3’s, and getting ZERO rebounds.

Bell hit 2/2 3’s in his 12 minutes.
Which is nice!

But he had no other stats. None.

Maliq put up 11 & 7 in his (well-earned) 24 minutes.

Plus played excellent D, and was generally in the right place at the right time.
That ooop he threw down from Mintz from half court was probably the highlight play of the game.

The Frosh CJ Fair vibes go beyond the headband. Kid is a baller.

Like 721Comstock said, that oop was a thing of beauty. When I saw the pass go up I thought no way Brown had a chance at that ball but he made it look easy. Jackie Moon would have been proud!

So why doesn't Maliq get more minutes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom