March 1, 2020 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

March 1, 2020

The GC on this job is going to have one HELLUVA time pushing these guys to get the roof done in 5.5 months to be ready for football. The epitome of being bad cop. Such a tight timeline.
Do you know any specifics of the construction sequence? I thought I'd heard that the existing roof would remain intact until the new roof is complete. Am I correct that's the plan? If not and construction hits delays, what's our plan B do you think?

Look up Galloping Gertie(Tacoma Narows) if you think suspension bridges can not fail or engineers always get things right.
Did I say that?

Wind torsion is a problem to this day if it isn't accounted for. Not too long ago a skyscraper went up in Boston and it started shedding windows pretty quickly. The building twisted in the wind like a big ice cube tray and windows popped out.

My comment was only to point out that "hanging" is not an epithet.

(And yes, I knew about the bridge in Washington. Great video if you haven't seen it.)

Did I say that?

Wind torsion is a problem to this day if it isn't accounted for. Not too long ago a skyscraper went up in Boston and it started shedding windows pretty quickly. The building twisted in the wind like a big ice cube tray and windows popped out.

(And yes, I knew about the bridge in Washington. Great video if you haven't seen it.)
Fair warning -nerd alert- Building in Boston is the Hancock Tower. Wind issue yes, but slightly different. The building is a trapezoid shape and they didn’t understand what effect the shape would have when the wind hit straight into the “narrow” side. The building acted like a plane wing and created lift on the back side, which caused the twisting, but the windows were a result of incorrect design of the IGU. The air in between the glass when heated by the sun caused the glass to pop from its frame. Windows were replaced with single pane glass.

Our roof will be a bit like the Bunker Hill Bridge, or the Alamo Dome

Don’t think this has been mentioned but...

Could they replace the concrete walls above the 300-level end zone seating with retractable glass? If the new roofline is basically starting at the same height then this might be the only engineering possibility to allow fresh air inside the stadium on those nice fall days. Would also be a nice aesthetic enhancement.

Didn't realize they were working, pretty much, straight through. Jan/Feb Off... We open the new dome against Colgate, Sept 18, 2020

Didn't realize they were working, pretty much, straight through. Jan/Feb Off... We open the new dome against Colgate, Sept 18, 2020
I don't think that Colgate game has been formally announced. Surprised they scheduled it so early in September.

September 18th is a Friday. Why would they play this game on a Friday? That night is the start of Rosh Hashanna. Could they be planning on playing in the afternoon?

I wonder if we end up playing away that week instead...

Last edited:
I wish they would release a new full-color rendering of the outside. Now that steel is ordered, they must have a completed design. All we've got so far is that dull black and white structural rendering.

I wish they would release a new full-color rendering of the outside. Now that steel is ordered, they must have a completed design. All we've got so far is that dull black and white structural rendering.

Don't you want to be surprised?

Or were you one of those kids who demanded to know in November what he was getting for Christmas?

As NJCuse97 stated this is an "engineered design". You may not see any pretty architectural renderings.

I think NJCuse97 is being quite diplomatic by saying that he's not crazy about the aesthetic solution and that it could've been better. I think after we all saw that rendering leaked by the Walter's Group in May of '16, which was aesthetically stunning, the ensuing visuals in comparison to what is actually going to be done, is certainly disappointing aesthetically. I don't know how anyone can truly say otherwise. Now, maybe what we have been privy to see, isn't the finished product, but common sense here suggests there's not a whole lot of viable options based upon what was decided.

Interestingly, Sala states in the May '18 presser that they walked around the building to see where you can really see the Carrier Dome roof from, and that it's notable from I-81 and that they want to make sure from that vantage point that it's "special." It would be interesting to know what specifically he means by "special" and if whether that is from a sheer engineering standpoint, aesthetically or a combination of both.

I think NJCuse97 is being quite diplomatic by saying that he's not crazy about the aesthetic solution and that it could've been better. I think after we all saw that rendering leaked by the Walter's Group in May of '16, which was aesthetically stunning, the ensuing visuals in comparison to what is actually going to be done, is certainly disappointing aesthetically. I don't know how anyone can truly say otherwise. Now, maybe what we have been privy to see, isn't the finished product, but common sense here suggests there's not a whole lot of viable options based upon what was decided.

Interestingly, Sala states in the May '18 presser that they walked around the building to see where you can really see the Carrier Dome roof from, and that it's notable from I-81 and that they want to make sure from that vantage point that it's "special." It would be interesting to know what specifically he means by "special" and if whether that is from a sheer engineering standpoint, aesthetically or a combination of both.
13wbp5.jpg

I know nothing about the new roof design, but the word hung scares the heck out of me when talking about six Acres subject to some of the worst weather conditions you can come by.
Would guess they have some competent engineers in the fold, wouldn’t worry .

Would guess they have some competent engineers in the fold, wouldn’t worry .

Ha, no kidding. I'm glad after reading a couple of posts here he went from being concerned to no longer concerned. Never mind those professional folks who actually possess the constraints, engineered drawings, specs, environmental factors, etc. Whew! ;):)

Did I say that?

My concerns were weather related and based solely on the term hung being an incomplete description, I even said I needed more info, and it might be mere semantics.

Do you know any specifics of the construction sequence? I thought I'd heard that the existing roof would remain intact until the new roof is complete. Am I correct that's the plan? If not and construction hits delays, what's our plan B do you think?

Good question, the Atlanta dome was delayed two months when there was a construction fatality, although that is unlikely, other delays are quite possible.

I know all about those folks and rely heavily on their abilities, however they are not perfect, and occasionally screw up. I was not questioning the design but the term hung as a description of that design. Turns out that description is incomplete. I have worked with many of these types of people over my carreer in a different discipline, and have occasionally found a few of their mistakes.
If you are going to mock me at least use the correct quote, I said I am not now particularly concerned, and I originally never said I was concerned, only scared by the term hung.

Relax, my comment was in jest, hence the emoticons. If you were offended, maybe you shouldn't take yourself so seriously on this internet board. I mean, it's kind of funny that your 1st post in the thread you admit that you know "nothing" about the roof design, yet the word hung "scares the crap out of you" notably due to 6 acres of spanning fabric subject to harsh weather conditions. As if the people involved with the knowledge, haven't considered all of these very obvious factors.

Your second post states how you are aware that structure (fabric) under tension is much stronger than one not under tension, but that a hung roof doesn't conjure a strong roof in your mind and doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling and you needing to know more. It insinuates that these guys got their licenses out of a Cracker Jack box, or possibly they simply stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and haven't any real or signifcant experience in considering the obvious you mention, let alone building anything similar in nature, etc.

At last, after finding out "a little bit more" you came to the realization that the acres of fabric was indeed being hung under tension accompanied by cables. Well, imagine that. You possibly being 'hung up' by semantics, is somewhat dishonest in my opinion, as with your apparent knowledge, you must've had an educated idea that NJCuse97's reference of the word 'hung' wasn't simply fabric being hung out of thin air or under tension of some sort. ;)

Moreover, if you were truly initially "concerned" as claimed, wouldn't it behoove you to find out more of the details prior to posting anything about being concerned on fabric being hung? I mean, it's only been out there for months now.

Last edited:
Now now boys, stop fighting. It sounds like you are both in favor of anything well hung. ;)

For sure, as long as those rods don't bend at that crucial point of tension. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom