Marcus Smart Officially | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart Officially

Honestly if the dude called him the N-word then Smart had every right to do that. It's one thing to taunt but another thing to say a racial slur it today's day and age. I still think Smart should get punished just because it sets a bad precedent. You have every right to say what you want when you want to, but you also have to face the consequences of those actions. If the due did say a racial slur when all is said and done I think this will end up much worse for Jeff than Smart.

jdubs30 said:
Just because these guys are athletes performing doesn't give people the right ot say whatever they want to them. You're right, if this was at a bar, no way this dude opens his mouth to Smart. But since it was at a sporting event, people think the athlete's cant step to them if they open their mouth, so it gives them free reign to say whatever they want. Smart was wrong to react, but people like that "fan" have to learn that you can't just open your mouth and say whatever you want. Whatever you say to an athlete while he is on the court better be the same thing you'd say to him in public, or else you're just a coward and shouldn't open your mouth.

People always have the right to say whatever they want. Usually there are consequences - and there should be here if the guy said something awful. But Smart shouldn't be the one administering the consequences.

Chris Paul kicked a player in the acorns...didn't seem to affect his draft status. Pretty sure it means nothing as far as the NBA is concerned.

Well, ESPN just showed the apologies of both Smart and Orr. Orr admits calling Smart a "piece of crap". Texas Tech interviewed everyone, including cameramen and photographers, and NO ONE heard him use a racial epitaph. I hope those of you who were quick to jump on the race card bandwagon take a little more precaution next time.

Additionally, to me, it looks like the lady on the left was actually trying to defuse the situation by say "good job, good job" to Smart.

Issue is done and settled in my mind, well except for all the miscreants (I'm looking at you Stuart Scott) and the garbage they were spewing last night.

Last edited:
texascpa said:
Well, ESPN just showed the apologies of both Smart and Orr. Orr admits calling Smart a "piece of crap". Texas Tech interviewed everyone, including cameramen and photographers, and NO ONE heard him use a racial epitaph. I hope those of you who were quick to jump on the race card bandwagon take a little more precaution next time.

Additionally, to me, it looks like the lady on the left was actually trying to defuse the situation by say "good job, good job" to Smart.

Issue is done and settled in my mind.

Its not done yet. ESPN radio is going to run with it all day tomorrow. They will have every single talking head on throughout the day spinning it the way espn wants it to be spun

Issue is done and settled in my mind, well except for all the miscreants (I'm looking at you Stuart Scott) and the garbage they were spewing last night.
I'm not sure anyone here "jumped on the race card bandwagon." I thought this thread was pretty balanced and people were just speculating and waiting to hear the full story.

Its not done yet. ESPN radio is going to run with it all day tomorrow. They will have every single talking head on throughout the day spinning it the way espn wants it to be spun

Unfortunately, you're probably right. This country just loves stupid like this.

I'm not sure anyone here "jumped on the race card bandwagon." I thought this thread was pretty balanced and people were just speculating and waiting to hear the full story.

There were many people on here who felt he said it. Hell, in another more recent thread there's a poster who claims, based on reading his lips, he said "go back to Africa".

There were many people on here who felt he said it. Hell, in another more recent thread there's a poster who claims, based on reading his lips, he said "go back to Africa".
That's why I used the word speculated. I don't think anyone was definitive.

texascpa said:
Unfortunately, you're probably right. This country just loves stupid like this.

The ttu fan will be torn apart for the next few days by the media. He'll have media at his house looking for interviews. Based on his statement sounds like he secured legal counsel of some sort

The ttu fan will be torn apart for the next few days by the media. He'll have media at his house looking for interviews. Based on his statement sounds like he secured legal counsel of some sort

At least the media will be mostly reasonable. He's going to receive a Texas-sized pile of hate mail from crazy fans.

Here's a video of the incident. You can hear what Orr says. Clearly calls him a piece of crap and nothing else. Not a good look for Smart.

At what second does he call him piece of crap?
I couldn't hear it.

At what second does he call him piece of crap?
I couldn't hear it.

0:18, right after Smart crashes into the cameraman.

Either the tape was edited so you can't hear what was really said, or Smart is gonna come out of this looking like a punk and a liar.

Here's a video of the incident. You can hear what Orr says. Clearly calls him a piece of crap and nothing else. Not a good look for Smart.

I couldn't agree more...I heard the "piece of crap" utterance in the noise...It really says a lot about the true character of Smart for him to throw that apparent false allegation out there, especially since that individual is Caucasian. If I was that person, I would sue his ass for defamation of character. He indeed appears to be a "piece of crap" for such a blatant lie & knowing how damning that word can be...It will be interesting to see if Smart experiences the fall out he apparently very much deserves.

Last edited: