Marcus Smart Officially | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart Officially

This minor incident doesn't help Smart's slipping stock. It's not just shoving a fan, but kicking a chair, the increased flopping and his poor shooting are all combining to raise questions about him. He's obviously a talented player, who I believe should have left last year because I think Orlando would have taken him at #2 over Oladipo. Maybe there is some other issue on his mind, because as others have said, it's out of character for him.

He's a lottery pick, but the notion that he's clearly ahead of Ennis at this point isn't correct. Hopefully, TT and the Big 12/NCAA look into the fan's behavior and if he did indeed cross the line, then he should be disassociated from the program.

What people don't understand is that there are people that hate you if you aren't white. Hard to know about it if you haven't been through it. That's why racial slurs are taken very seriously.
Every race, color and creed on this planet is hated by someone...trust me.

Like Stephen A just said, it's not what Smart did, whatever stupid decision but it does show that he can be gotten to.

longislandcuse said:
Texas Tech already defending the superfan.

Really? If it comes out quick that he did say something incredibly racial I can see then doing a quick 180 on the support.

Really? If it comes out quick that he did say something incredibly racial I can see then doing a quick 180 on the support.
Yea, they issued a statement read on SportsCenter basically saying Orr has never done anything questionable or out of line before and yes, they've seen the other video from a few years ago.

Last edited:
The article about this "superfan" says he's very an '83 grad of TT, so he's probably around 53 years old. Not young but not that old either.
Old people want to double-like this post...

One former GM quoted in the ESPN article:

A former NBA general manager who is currently a scout said Saturday's incident shouldn't affect Smart's draft status, should he declare for the NBA draft, since he will have time to talk about it during the interview process this spring. The former GM said Smart's character hadn't been called into question in the past.

Teams will still draft his talents. Don't think this affects him at all.

Yeah, pretty much what Bilas said.

Bottom line with Smart and the draft is that if you are a guaranteed lottery pick you should go because there is no guarantee you ever will be again. You are holding a winning ticket why toss it and hope that you win again the following year? He may still be a lottery pick but his real issue is that these incidents are combined with his declining play and his teams losing streak. Teams are letting him shoot because he isn't making them, he then forces things too much off the bounce into traffic and gets frustrated that he is not getting calls. He is also focusing more on his own scoring and shooting which takes away from being a playmaker for others.

tptgeek said:
Remainder of the year? That's excessive.

Excessive, maybe. But unless the punishment is severe we will set a pretty poor precedent. There is no excuse for a player to go after a fan. EVER. I don't give a damn what he says, walk away.

And about the fan. He's a booster. Texas Texh needs to deal with him. His behavior is not to be tolerated either.

Excessive, maybe. But unless the punishment is severe we will set a pretty poor precedent. There is no excuse for a player to go after a fan. EVER. I don't give a damn what he says, walk away.

And about the fan. He's a booster. Texas Texh needs to deal with him. His behavior is not to be tolerated either.
Two or three games is severe enough, IMO.

That being said, it is kind of amazing that there isn't a precedent for this type of incident. With as many teams and obnoxious fans, coupled with the tempers/maturity level of college-aged kids, you would think there would be rules in place.

Two or three games is severe enough, IMO.

That being said, it is kind of amazing that there isn't a precedent for this type of incident. With as many teams and obnoxious fans, coupled with the tempers/maturity level of college-aged kids, you would think there would be rules in place.

I think 3 games for Smart. Its severe enough to send the message you cannot go into the stands with the fans for any reason while not ending his career over a miss step. HE would be back before the end of the Big12 season and for the tourneys. I think the fan needs to be dealt with as well.

you want to see out of hand? this is out of hand

The announcers comments are hilarious..so understated. "Oh its too bad that after the game it gets out of hand like this"

as if its just some minor dust up

No doubt Smart needs to be punished but if you look at the older lady to right of the A-HOLE fan she just knew something was going to happen just a split second before it happened. Looks like she was going to get between them. I highly doubt that this fan sits peacefully at all games as he was still yapping away at him as Smart stood up. Then A-HOLE was all smiles after the incident as if he did his team a big favor. He was described as a T.T. SUPERFAN later last night on ESPN which to me means a big doner.

No way should this fan get a free pass here as the reaction by Smart shows that the idiot said something that crossed the line.

Cost himself millions!

He will still get drafted in pretty much he same spot as before this happened. If anything it will cost him on his second contract if his behavior is the same as this.

That booster needs to have his seats revoked as it was obvious he instigated this mess.

Didn't he just say last week he was going to calm down and stop acting like a jackass?

Eh, suspend him three games. It's an easy enough rule of thumb - don't push the fans.

In 88', Jayson Williams got zero games for tossing a chair into the stands during a scuffle between St. John's players and Providence fans. He injured a fan in doing so and was arrested after the game for assault. He did receive a one game suspension from the BE for punching a Providence player before the confrontation with the fans.

In 88', Jayson Williams got zero games for tossing a chair into the stands during a scuffle between St. John's players and Providence fans. He injured a fan in doing so and was arrested after the game for assault. He did receive a one game suspension from the BE for punching a Providence player before the confrontation with the fans.

See, not everyone that goes after fans is a complete nutjob. Sometimes people just overreact, but deep down they're just nice upstanding citizens. We can only hope that Marcus Smart can grow up to be half the man Jayson Williams became.

No doubt Smart needs to be punished but if you look at the older lady to right of the A-HOLE fan she just knew something was going to happen just a split second before it happened. Looks like she was going to get between them. I highly doubt that this fan sits peacefully at all games as he was still yapping away at him as Smart stood up. Then A-HOLE was all smiles after the incident as if he did his team a big favor. He was described as a T.T. SUPERFAN later last night on ESPN which to me means a big doner.

No way should this fan get a free pass here as the reaction by Smart shows that the idiot said something that crossed the line.

It looked to me like once Smart heard him and turned around the guy was trying to apologize to him and then Smart just decided an apology wasn't enough.

I guess I'm the only one who's not outraged..

I wish Smart had shattered the guy's jaw.

Too many people feel it is their right to say whatever they want to whomever they want.

I see it all the time. And it doesn't just happen at pro or college sporting events. I see it at high school and at even younger ages.

And you can bet that that fat, out of shape POS wouldn't have the guts to say boo if he saw Smart on the street.

I wish Smart had shattered the guy's jaw.

Too many people feel it is their right to say whatever they want to whomever they want.

I see it all the time. And it doesn't just happen at pro or college sporting events. I see it at high school and at even younger ages.

And you can bet that that fat, out of shape POS wouldn't have the guts to say boo if he saw Smart on the street.

AMEN! fat, white, rednecks think they are entitled to say whatever they want and don't have to face the consequences...the old bag clapping in his face is no different...she think she's exempt because she is a female

you want to see out of hand? this is out of hand

The announcers comments are hilarious..so understated. "Oh its too bad that after the game it gets out of hand like this"

as if its just some minor dust up
Ha I was just about to go look for that video.