Marek is my biggest surprise | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marek is my biggest surprise

Still don't understand why Boeheim has made the decision to start Hughes instead of Marek.

Makes no sense for this team and probably has a lot to do with why Marek is struggling to fit in, in my opinion.

I would assume it’s because our anemic offense and what he sees offensively from Marek vs Hughes in practices. Hughes is tied with Oshae for 2nd in scoring.

But he won't shoot. Who cares about shooting percentage when you pass up so many shots?

People need to stop looking at stats and actually watch the players play.

He fouls people 80' from the basket. He didn't get 1/10 of a percent stronger in the off season. He's kind of phoning in this year.

I was hoping he would take his tremendous improvement from last year and build on that. But right now he seems to be even less than where he started last year.

I was there last night and I watch most every game (my own kids sports precludes me at times) and definitely understand the game of basketball. It is clear to see that he is not allowed to play through mistakes like others on the team and imo, that contributes to his lack of confidence on the offensive side of the ball. Additionally, he is clearly playing out of position at the 5 and that should be understood by all. As for shots, when the offense fails to provide you with adequate touches its difficult to get shots in the flow of the game.

If you watch Marek play you understand that he was probably better coached in a youth system than a majority of guys on our team. His skill set doesn't lend to iso ball unless he's setting the high screen on the pick and roll.

My overall point is that Marek is not the problem with this team this year. In my basketball opinion, its not even close. Brissett and Franklin are the major issues and I definitely think there are more minutes for Marek in the rotation at the 4. It will be interesting to see if JAB is willing to make changes or will close ranks and ride or die with Howard, Hughes and Brissett at 30+ minutes per game the rest of the season.

I would assume it’s because our anemic offense and what he sees offensively from Marek vs Hughes in practices. Hughes is tied with Oshae at for 2nd in scoring.

Hughes had 6 turnovers last night and is a nightmare decision maker. He is also probably the worst defender we have. We made the Sweet 16 last year with defense, and Marek has shown he can play offense effectively when given the ball and some time. Don't understand why Hughes is given a free pass. He was terrible last night.

Braswell won't be the answer right now, I'm afraid. Dolezaj just needs to become the player he was at the end of last season. It's obviously in him somewhere.

Agreed.

But after last night there is no point giving Braswell a scholarship if you aren't going to give him some run after that. Sure Hughes led us in scoring but he didn't really play well tons of turnovers. My guess is if his name ended in 'oeheim' and not 'raswell' he'd have got some decent run so far.

Asking to find him 10 first half minutes next game isn't clamoring for drastic changes.

Hughes had 6 turnovers last night and is a nightmare decision maker. He is also probably the worst defender we have. We made the Sweet 16 last year with defense, and Marek has shown he can play offense effectively when given the ball and some time. Don't understand why Hughes is given a free pass. He was terrible last night.

Hughes was literally the only player scoring at one point. If we sit him who would have scored.

Marek is scared to shoot. He passes up wide open looks every game. For a team that can’t score we can’t have that.

Hughes was literally the only player scoring at one point. If we sit him who would have scored.

Marek is scared to shoot. He passes up wide open looks every game. For a team that can’t score we can’t have that.

Hughes went 6-for-15 and 2-for-9 from 3. With 6 turnovers. He shot the most so he's the only player that can score?

I think he can be good but at this point, I think he's more of a liability than a help at both ends of the floor.

Hughes went 6-for-15 and 2-for-9 from 3. With 6 turnovers. He shot the most so he's the only player that can score?

I think he can be good but at this point, I think he's more of a liability than a help at both ends of the floor.

Hughes is averaging nearly 15 a game on 44% shooting. Yes he turned it over last night, but if you sit him we just put another person in the game the defense doesn’t have to guard.

Hughes is averaging nearly 15 a game on 44% shooting. Yes he turned it over last night, but if you sit him we just put another person in the game the defense doesn’t have to guard.

I'm not saying relegate him to the bench for 40 minutes, but Marek deserves to play more and would benefit from starting, IMO. Hughes can score but he gives up just as many points as he scores. He and Carey off the bench would be instant offense. Start the game with defense, then if we can't score, infuse the lineup with offense.

Gambles way too much, especially when there are guys you simply can't leave alone. He tried going for a steal, leaving Massenburg all alone in the corner. My 49-year old arse can make that shot, let alone a sharp shooter like Massenburg.

The defensive metrics say we are better with Hughes on the court than Dolezaj. If anyone has been below average defensively this year it has been Battle.

I was there last night and I watch most every game (my own kids sports precludes me at times) and definitely understand the game of basketball. It is clear to see that he is not allowed to play through mistakes like others on the team and imo, that contributes to his lack of confidence on the offensive side of the ball. Additionally, he is clearly playing out of position at the 5 and that should be understood by all. As for shots, when the offense fails to provide you with adequate touches its difficult to get shots in the flow of the game.

If you watch Marek play you understand that he was probably better coached in a youth system than a majority of guys on our team. His skill set doesn't lend to iso ball unless he's setting the high screen on the pick and roll.

My overall point is that Marek is not the problem with this team this year. In my basketball opinion, its not even close. Brissett and Franklin are the major issues and I definitely think there are more minutes for Marek in the rotation at the 4. It will be interesting to see if JAB is willing to make changes or will close ranks and ride or die with Howard, Hughes and Brissett at 30+ minutes per game the rest of the season.

Sorry, wasn't your stats I was really talking about. Someone mentioned that Chukwu's scoring efficiency has increased from last year. Well, that's like the dumbest stat I've ever heard mentioned here. I'd give up my left nut for a big who could actually turn and make a foul line jumper again. Chukwu misses at the rim, let alone from 5' and beyond.

And I completely agree about MD not being the major problem with this squad.

Marek played 9 minutes last night. I played 0 minutes last night. We had the same exact number of points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. I also had two fewer fouls and missed two fewer front ends.
You had a good game.
Congrats.

"2. Give Bras some of marek's diminishing minutes"

WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Are you trying to make America's skinniest collegiate team skinnier?
But I understand where you're coming from.​

His play has really regressed. He is making fewer and fewer of the non-box score plays. The positive box score plays are almost non-existent. Frankly, i would prefer to put Bras on the court right now and at least see what happens.

This team badly needs a shake up.

I do not think there are any magic bullets, but here are some things that will at least provide shake up:

1. Give Oshae some time at the five

I chuckle that JB took the time out of his press conference last week to bury that idea

I don’t understand how we can not make shots in practice

I posted this in another thread, but Hughes closed to the right-hand side of a left-handed jumpshooter (never crossing his line of vision) at least three times last night.

I'm not even mad. That's impressive.

I like his shot (when he's being reasonable and not chucking), I like him at the rim, and I think he's a pretty good weakside shot blocker. But hoops IQ is a question mark right now. He's made some shaky decisions.

Marek played 9 minutes last night. I played 0 minutes last night. We had the same exact number of points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. I also had two fewer fouls and missed two fewer front ends.
I think we know what Battle and Frank are and I think Oshae is what he is too so the player I was must excited about seeing improve this year was Marek, and last night may have been his nadir. What has - or has not - happened to his game and feel for the game?
I'm disappointed in the way Marek has developed from the end of last year. He was so up and down though that it isn't shock to me. Oshae is a shock to me. He needed to work on finishing around the rim and his perimeter shooting. He has regressed and I really was convinced he would make a huge leap. I thought he would do a better job of getting to the rim and since he was terrible converting I thought a small improvement was inevitable. Also with Hughes as 1 more perimeter shooter I thought that would open things up for him. It completely baffles me.

I'm not saying relegate him to the bench for 40 minutes, but Marek deserves to play more and would benefit from starting, IMO. Hughes can score but he gives up just as many points as he scores. He and Carey off the bench would be instant offense. Start the game with defense, then if we can't score, infuse the lineup with offense.
Start the game with defense, and then when we can't score and eventually dig a big enough hole, infuse the lineup with offense and try to catch up with a group of weaker defenders. Sounds like a plan.

Does he still have the same girlfriend, and is she giving it up?

I realize this is private information, so you can just PM me with all the details.

Start the game with defense, and then when we can't score and eventually dig a big enough hole, infuse the lineup with offense and try to catch up with a group of weaker defenders. Sounds like a plan.

LOL. You ever coach before?

LOL. You ever coach before?
In the last two games, SU played well and built decent first half leads primarily with his "offensive" lineup on the floor, and held those leads well into the second half before imploding late in both games. I don't have the answers, coach, but I'd generally rather be playing from in front, and it doesn't seem like playing long stretches with two or three guys who aren't threats to score is the way to get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom