Marek is my biggest surprise | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marek is my biggest surprise

Well that's part of the problem - he should only play center in a sixth overtime or something like that. Reminds me a little of the staff yo-yo-ing around with Rick Jackson's weight for his first three years. No need to beef a young forward up to play center when the team has two centers.

Yup. It’s so bad right now. Friends text me after/during our games wondering who the heck these guys are on the frontline. All three of them...Marek/Pascal/Sid...seriously, friends ask if they are walkons. Can’t blame them. The lack of physicality is really sad.

Just because someone individually has better 'talent' offensively doesn't mean they should start because our team can't score. I know it's not intuitive, but there are a TON of factors that play into it.

You bring up the first halves. Marek played six minutes last night in the opening half. We were up 6-4 when he came in, and up 20-14 when he exited. I'll also add he played a forward position during this stretch, not the center.

He came in for the final minute of the first half as the center and we increased the lead again by two, and he missed a FT which could have added even more. Overall +6 in the first half.

Second half rolls around he doesn't play for the first 15 minutes of the half. FIFTEEN. We go from up four to down three (-7) without him. And at that point, he was playing in the middle again.

So overall with Marek playing as a forward last night, we were a +4. And without him playing at a forward last night, we were a -16.

Marek is a role player. He doesn't need the ball. And towards the end of last year, he had grown confident in his ability offensively. It showed in the NCAA Tournament, where he was a key reason why the team won those games.

Fast forward to this year and Elijah Hughes is taking up the majority of those minutes. I appreciate his scoring ability but it is inefficient and he is a minus in most if not all other areas.

All of this is without adding the mental aspect of starting as it relates to a player's confidence. Or at the very least, playing a defined and substantial role. Marek has turned into a bit player and it's not only hurting him individually but in my opinion, it's hurting the team collectively.
such a good post...couldn't agree more. Marek needs time on the floor to get into the flow. He does all the little things over time. He isn't coming off the bench cold to nail a three when you need it.

Not for him. Don’t you see him get pinballed around? It’s comical watching him set picks. Almost unfair. The poor kid has to play Center here sometimes. It’s mind-boggling and unfortunate we are in these predicaments.

The fact that we are needing to play Marek Dolezaj at C at Syracuse tells you all you need to know about the state of the program right now.
True but outside of Sid and Oshae most of our guys get pinballed around.

if you're playing underneath extra mass helps make you immovable . on the wing not so much.

I agree not enough time in games.
So who do you sit in order to give Dolezaj more playing time? Hughes? Brissett? Chukwu? Unfortunately until Marek can find himself to be another option on offense, his playing time may be severely limited.

So who do you sit in order to give Dolezaj more playing time? Hughes? Brissett? Chukwu? Unfortunately until Marek can find himself to be another option on offense, his playing time may be severely limited.
Hughes if I have to pick. If Carey and he were the first two off the bench, it would be a super change of pace.

Hughes if I have to pick. If Carey and he were the first two off the bench, it would be a super change of pace.
Great answer and exactly what I was thinking. Marek is a good all around player who gets everyone into the game. He team plays tougher when he is out there and in the forward spot. Yeah center for a bit and yes Hughes is a good player but somehow someway it’s different this year than last because he is the only different thing that’s been done. Marek needs time to get into groove of game and when he does he makes everyone better. Hughes is like waiters and can come in and blow the lid off offensively but we need to be a defensive team now cause offensively oriented team isn’t cutting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom