Marek next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marek next year

I suggest hiring an artist to paint a mural in the melo center of Marek taking a charge from Zion.
On one end of the center Zion. On the other end of the center Marek to emphasize how far Marek flew backwards after the tank hit him :)

Im not sure if he has peaked. I actually expect a very good year from him IF he doesn't have to play center. I believe the physical tool he takes at the 5 saps him for O. Playing the 4 on D is much better suited for Marek. I also think that he will play better if he gets a couple of 3-5 minute breaks each half.

I don't mind him getting a few stints at center from time to time but I think he's a guy who would benefit from a couple breathers a game and generally fits much better at the 4. Agree that he hasn't peaked but I think sometimes people chronically underrate guys who know what they do well and stick to that. Thought Brissett, for example, recognized that he wasn't shooting well as a soph and concentrated on banging inside with pretty solid results. It wasn't always pretty but he was a better player once he cut his 3-point attempts in half.

The thing with Marek is that he's incredibly unselfish. If you put some talent around him he's perfect b/c he doesn't need the ball. I always like that kind of player at least in terms of building a good roster overall.

what more do you expect from him lol? I don’t see any bump whatsoever he never had a high ceiling. Doesn’t mean I don’t think he is valuable but give those minutes to braswell and I’m sure you’d have a better shooter and possibly rebounder

Not sure how much more we get out of him AND I like Braswell. But what makes Dolezaj valuable is, in part, the fact that he understands what his role is. A guy giving you double figures with decent rebounding numbers and 3 dimes/game with a usage rate of 16.7 is a valuable player. I like Braswell but I really don't know what any of us could have seen to just essentially claim he's better. That's patently absurd. You want to see more of braswell, fine. He'd do more with Dolezaj's minutes -- there is zero evidence of that and to state it as fact is dopey.

If he comes back as exactly the same player, EXCEPT for no stupid fouls 90 feet from the basket, I'll take that as a 100% upgrade.

Seriously though, I hope he gets confidence back in his shot and isn't afraid to take them.

The most important part of having adequate depth at center is that Dolezaj won't be forced into playing center when it is a bad matchup for him.

If Sidibe is as good next season as he was at the end of this past season, we won't have any collations at center. Even if he reverts a bit to his prior self, we will have three center sized players to stand in so Dolezaj won't Need to play center.

However, there will be some games where Dolezaj hurts them worse than he hurts us at center, and JB can use him tactically to change the game in our favor.

I look forward to several minutes a half with Dolezaj, Guerrier and Griffin on the floor against a slower front line. Shockingly, Dolezaj was 7th in attempted free throws during ACC play. He was a foul making machine on both ends of the court.
For a good laugh, give him the ball on the perimeter and watch a lead foot center panic at least a few times a game.

The best news for MD this year (besides his hand feeling better) is named "Frank". The staff pulled a rabbit out of the hat getting a reclassified 5 so late in the cycle. The hope is that Frank can give JB 15-17 minutes, protect the rim and make all the Sid/MD whistle-mania, out-of-position problems go away. Edwards is there if we're in a boxing match, or even JBA. That will mercifully reduce MD's minutes from 33 pg down to a more reasonable number, with QG's minutes declining a little bit as MD spends more time at PF. All that's fine .. because MD's just coming into his own. If his hand feels better and he's in his natural position, he might give us 13-15 pg. Guerrier is a solid backup - good on the glass, developing jumper, grip like a vice.

The other bench player to watch is Bras. I say this because even if Griff plays and is as good as advertised, you don't want him in the 30's like JG and Buddy last year. Bras is in his third year, he can shoot and, if healthy, he can rebound. I think he's the other key bench player for us unless Griff is denied a waiver. In that happens it's 'break glass in case of emergency' for the staff to figure out a SF solution.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom