Marek will NOT play in Italy (and other observations from Rothstein) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marek will NOT play in Italy (and other observations from Rothstein)

Actually, this is not true. Portion sizes are much more reasonable over there.

In addition, everything is fresh. None of the processed garbage that is in seemingly everything we eat over here.

You don't really see a lot of obese Italians...
If you eat Gelato 4-5 times per day...

I hope I am wrong, but I am starting to get the feeling Marek never reaches his potential here. He looked like the best "basketball player" on the court at times as a frosh, but didn't seem to improve much of any last year. Now he has another setback with his finger.

Hope he figures it out, but I am starting to lose hope a little...

I mean how much potential does he have really. He is a glorified glue guy who makes all the right plays, hustles, does the little things and is able to chip in and help us win, he isnt going to be a star. I thought his jumper looked much better as a soph and he seemed more confident in taking it. He needs to improve on not committing as many dumb fouls away from the hoop and working on his jumper/confidence even more. Finger injuries happen, its basketball. Someone said it above but i agree, he is the 1 person on the team who if he misses these summer reps, wouldnt be as big of a deal.

Marek is going to be the least of our problems. Guys who do the grunt stuff - defend and facilitate always mesh easily. I also think he improved quite a bit last year - seemed more confident on his jumper, excellent passer. I also know I'm in the minority but staying on campus hasn't proven that you will bulk up, etc. As for his potential - he's never going to reach it playing the 5 which he again will be doing this year IMHO.
He burns a lot of calories on campus if u know what I mean

Sid will start and pick up a quick foul or two.

Marek slides over to the 5, and QG plays a lot.
If Marek has to “slide over to the 5” for any extended period of time, then we’re in big f’n trouble.
He’s a 3 or 4, and that weight differential leaves him open to get abused at the 5 on a nightly basis in the ACC.
We need “something” from Ajak or Edwards every game, a few minutes here and there. But Marek at the 5 should not be something we look forward to happening. JMHO

I hope I am wrong, but I am starting to get the feeling Marek never reaches his potential here. He looked like the best "basketball player" on the court at times as a frosh, but didn't seem to improve much of any last year. Now he has another setback with his finger.

Hope he figures it out, but I am starting to lose hope a little...
Marek is a great 6th 7th man. We love him because he plays solid basketball. Old school basketball. He hustles, he scraps, he plays hard and unselfish. He gets everything out of his ability. However he isn't a great player. He is an overachiever and we love him for that. If we had 5 players like him we would unfortunately have JBs 1st losing season.

In my opinion, this isn’t good. It’s now 3 years in a row that Marek has missed meshing with teammates over the summer. (If I recall I don’t think he came in the summer before his frosh year but I of course could be wrong) With all the new parts to this team and this great opportunity to build chemistry, work on their roles, get a head start on possible lineups etc , I think not having Marek is a loss. Hoping that he attends the events with his teammates despite not being able to play.

I kind of wonder if this will be his last year here. I'm also kind of disappointed, but he does have an injury.

Marek is a great 6th 7th man. We love him because he plays solid basketball. Old school basketball. He hustles, he scraps, he plays hard and unselfish. He gets everything out of his ability. However he isn't a great player. He is an overachiever and we love him for that. If we had 5 players like him we would unfortunately have JBs 1st losing season.

I agree but I don’t. Marek has the ability to be a great player. He’s just not wired for it. He’s passive as opposed to aggressive, he’s pass first instead of shot first, and the one area he won’t ever be great in is physicality. Which in American basketball is a necessity. But I think he’s a very good player who could be a 10 & 7 guy if he shot enough.

The reason I like him is because he plays the right way and makes the right play. Not because he’s an overachiever.

Hmmmm... 5 guys who play hard on both ends of the court, are unselfish and tend to make the right basketball play...kinda sounds like Brotherly Love in TBT against us, doesn't it...

I'm hearing from my inside sources that this is a classic good news/bad news situation.

The good news is that the finger injury has allowed Marek to take some time off and gain some much needed weight.

The bad news is that so far all of the weight he's gained is from the swelling in his finger.

Also, more good news. The injured finger is on his lighter hand, so he hasn't been able to smoke cigarettes as fast as he used to.

I’m sorry, but Sidibe cannot start, nor play significant minutes. We have seen what he can do by now... please throw Edwards/JBA into the fire. Let Sidibe play 10min per... he was supposed to be pain free last yr and was atrocious...

I’m sorry, but Sidibe cannot start, nor play significant minutes. We have seen what he can do by now... please throw Edwards/JBA into the fire. Let Sidibe play 10min per... he was supposed to be pain free last yr and was atrocious...

I'm a bit down on him as well but if he can play 20+ mins pain free in Italy then I think we'll see a much improved and impactful season from him.

This thread has taken some strange turns. I'm surprised at the level of ambivalence and even negativity for a rising junior who has done everything he's been asked and then some without complaining. The guy busts his arse all over the court every game. I'll take 5 Mareks any day of the week.

This thread has taken some strange turns. I'm surprised at the level of ambivalence and even negativity for a rising junior who has done everything he's been asked and then some without complaining. The guy busts his arse all over the court every game. I'll take 5 Mareks any day of the week.

I remember when he was the most popular player on the team on Syracusefan in November, 2017.

He showed real promise at times as a freshman. I don’t agree at all with “we’ve seen what he can do” in college hoops. College players can get significantly better from one year to the next. Especially so, when health is a factor.

not great but no big deal

really hope Edwards plays

He’s probably going to have to play big minutes. Hearing ajok not going to be able to play either because Italy won’t accept his passport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom