Marrone is a big stupid turd and for once it thrills me | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone is a big stupid turd and for once it thrills me

Great is stretching the meaning of the word. He was good.

To be great you have to be more than an average recruiter.

He did a good job but go look at that 2010 schedule.
We beat 2 teams that were solid West Virginia and South Florida.
We beat Akron 1-11 team
I-AA Maine
I-AA Colgate
South Florida 8-5 team
West Virginia 9-4 team
Cincinnati 4-8 team
Rutgers 4-8 team

That job on a curve wasn’t as good as it appears. Marrone did a solid job but 2010 looks good when people were sick of the destruction Greg Robinson had done to the program.

I think we're looking at this through the lens of this year's success. The program was at its lowest point in 2010. To even compete in conference games was a leap forward from the GERG era. Was it great, not sure. Was it necessary beating Rutgers again to retain some degree of success over these teams that lapped us in the early 2000s...YUP

Marrone was what the doctor ordered in 2009. Perfect coach to follow GERG.

I think we're looking at this through the lens of this year's success. The program was at its lowest point in 2010. To even compete in conference games was a leap forward from the GERG era. Was it great, not sure. Was it necessary beating Rutgers again to retain some degree of success over these teams that lapped us in the early 2000s...YUP

Marrone was what the doctor ordered in 2009. Perfect coach to follow GERG.
Um no.
My god Greg Robinson was unmitigated disaster but he did leave some talent for his successor.
Marrone did a solid job but if the bar was just being competitive you are totally changing the narrative.
Our 2010 schedule was soft as charmin.
In 2009 Marrone has 8 home games and changed the culture.
The 2010 schedule was softer to help the program get to a Bowl.
Marrone was an elite game planner but the program played a garbage schedule and we got to a bowl.
I am not going to say anymore as I respect Orange79 and I am not going to cause this thread to go anymore down this road.

Marrone was beyond conservative and Dino has shown he gets it.

Great is stretching the meaning of the word. He was good.

To be great you have to be more than an average recruiter.

"Great recruiter"

I think that description has to be used in context.

I seem to recall - and I may be wrong - that Doug was either awarded or recognized as a top or the top college football recruiter at some point during his time at GA Tech.

Recruiting at Syracuse University in 2008-09 was not easy for three primary reasons: (1) we had just finished wining ten games in four years; (2) our recruiting infrastructure was very limited; and (3) our overall football infrastructure including training facilities and practice facilities was last in the Big East.

We are only now starting to recruit at a relatively high level - six years after Doug left.

I think it's clear that Dino is a compelling man who can sell and you certainly cannot discount that - not at all.

But, Coach Babers also has a better product to sell - aside from himself. He has much more money, a completely revamped recruiting infrastructure, the ACC and better training and practice facilities including an indoor practice facility.

What Doug Marrone did in 2010 was great - two years he had us in a bowl game against K-State and he got us a win. That was great.

Um no.
My god Greg Robinson was unmitigated disaster but he did leave some talent for his successor.
Marrone did a solid job but if the bar was just being competitive you are totally changing the narrative.
Marrone was an elite game planner but the program played a garbage schedule and we got to a bowl.
I am not going to say anymore as I respect Orange79 and I am not going to cause this thread to go anymore down this road.

I don't think you can call his 2012 offense conservative.

Um no.

In fairness, the bar was just being competitive. Never forget those Greg Robinson years -- you will live a happy life if you judge everything with that as the bar for how low things can go.

Once Fournette got tossed out of the game it was over. Lawson for Fournette was a solid trade off

He really worked his magic on fourth down today. BABERS
Me thinks you have issues letting go. The dislike you display for the guy who fixed the Gerg disaster is silly. Not one person on this board thinks we should bring Doug back over Dino. Still salty over the dream job thing? Yikes.

He did a good job but go look at that 2010 schedule.
We beat 2 teams that were solid West Virginia and South Florida.
We beat Akron 1-11 team
I-AA Maine
I-AA Colgate
South Florida 8-5 team
West Virginia 9-4 team
Cincinnati 4-8 team
Rutgers 4-8 team

That job on a curve wasn’t as good as it appears. Marrone did a solid job but 2010 looks good when people were sick of the destruction Greg Robinson had done to the program.

No doubt, it wasn't a great schedule, but that USF win was monumental -- the first time in a long time we beat a pretty good team. And it was a road win, as I recall.

That is terrible.
Hackett was Marrone’s guy. We all know it’s Bortles and they will draft a QB but man Doug has to be doing what Coughlin want there.
Hackett doesn’t deserve to be fired because Bortles sucks.

Agree. Not sure what Hackett is supposed to do when the QB is that bad and Robinson and Hurns are gone from last season. Side note - I was dead wrong on Bortles. I thought he would be a good pro when he was drafted.

Marrone's career reputation is based off being Drew Brees offensive coordinator while Sean Payton called plays. You would have thought Payton's aggressiveness would have rubbed off on him at least a little.

No doubt, it wasn't a great schedule, but that USF win was monumental -- the first time in a long time we beat a pretty good team. And it was a road win, as I recall.
I am not saying Marrone sucks FWIW
I thought he was a solid good HC.
He just didn’t overcome these crazy odds. He was left a nice top of the roster and had some soft schedules.
Marrone was an elite game planner and that was his pro coaching ability.
I just don’t think 2010 was that amazing. 2012 was a great year.

HA, dude, you're brutal... Lol.

I'll tell you what man, our last two conference games I really thought about it. Dino was ultra aggressive on fourth downs. It leaves you with the feeling that he really wants to put the hammer down on conference rivals. And I love it.

Every time I see a punt net a team 18 yards, I just think, holy shitezenberger' you're an idiot.

It's so nice not to be that idiot.
So, if a punt turns into a muff that SU recovers, what are your thoughts? Asking for Clemson.

Punting should be banned. I'm not kidding.

Game would be so much more exciting if teams had to go for it on 4th and 18 on their own 4 yard line.

I can see your point as far as excitement, but seems like we aren't exactly suffering from lack of scoring and excitement now.

I can see your point as far as excitement, but seems like we aren't exactly suffering from lack of scoring and excitement now.

I'm talking more about ending meathead football.

That is terrible.
Hackett was Marrone’s guy. We all know it’s Bortles and they will draft a QB but man Doug has to be doing what Coughlin want there.
Hackett doesn’t deserve to be fired because Bortles sucks.

Bortles looked like Marino against the Patriots. I don't get it.

I'm talking more about ending meathead football.

I don't see the need to force the end of it. Just hire a smart coach and he'll give you an advantage.

I am not saying Marrone sucks FWIW
I thought he was a solid good HC.
He just didn’t overcome these crazy odds. He was left a nice top of the roster and had some soft schedules.
Marrone was an elite game planner and that was his pro coaching ability.
I just don’t think 2010 was that amazing. 2012 was a great year.

I see it the other way in terms of 2010 and 2012. I think you are discounting the emergence of Uconn and Rutgers at this point and where our program was. I agree he wasn't a great coach but was a great hire by Gross at a time where we NEEDED to land someone competent coming off GERG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom