Marrone is new specials coach | Syracusefan.com

Marrone is new specials coach

It worked at VT with Beamer. Let's hope we get something similar in result. If so, it would be a monster improvement.

Casullo is going to love this one...

Maybe this means that he plans on bringing in the "wow" factor hire on the offensive side of the ball?

We already have the WOW factor :D

Special teams is all about shift in attitude. Players have to want to make the play and motivate them to do so. Instill a sense of pride. Anyone can do it, it's all about the motivational factor.

I thought it was obvious this was coming based on a couple of comments Marrone made near the end of the season. He was already talking about how he was going to make changes to formations on kick-offs, etc but just couldn't do it so late in the season.

wonder why he didnt give them any attention last year if he has the time this year?

maybe if he spent some time adjusting them last year we would have found that 1 win-specials were beyond description

not sure how i see this -

Until proven otherwise, Doug needs to focus on being the CEO of this program. Not happy about him taking this on.
so he needs to stand there and do nothing all practice?

wonder why he didnt give them any attention last year if he has the time this year?

maybe if he spent some time adjusting them last year we would have found that 1 win-specials were beyond description

not sure how i see this -

So unlike you to second guess every single thing Marrone does

So unlike you to second guess every single thing Marrone does

no its called paying attention to the state of the program-
am i anti marrone-hell no
do i think he is beyond reproach ?hell no

Sounds like a "cheap" fix to a serious problem. I have my doubts. We will see though

Sounds like a "cheap" fix to a serious problem. I have my doubts. We will see though
saves money for a 'big' hire -- we will see what happens with remaining slot before however

When we are talking specials, are we talking about:
1. blocking for our punter
2. trying to block punts or FGs
3. run back teams
4. coverage of kicks
5. our FG unit?

If he hired someone with his own resume to coach these units, it would not make sense. His background is OL and OC. Come on -- specials are an important part of the game.

With our new kicker, that solves our biggest problem of kickoff coverage. If he puts it in the end zone, Marrone will look like a genious.

With our new kicker, that solves our biggest problem of kickoff coverage. If he puts it in the end zone, Marrone will look like a genious.
Marrone talked about that specifically at the presser when asked about guys who will make an immediate impact.

what we think? cant get any worse?
I am fine with it. From my perspective, this means the new coach will be on the offensive side of the ball and will take some of the responsibilities Coach Hackett has been handling.

Maybe a QB coach? Hard to believe someone would be hired only to coach the TEs. That would only happen if they were a hired gun prime recruiter, which makes no sense given the timing of this hire.

No BNORO he needs to free himself up to pay attention to all units.

Which he will. Because guys who play on special teams also practice with their main units. He's not going to be missing anything.

No BNORO he needs to free himself up to pay attention to all units.
When the team practices special teams, there is nothing going on but special teams. DM can coach these units and not miss a minute of regular practice. If there is any concern about this, I would think it would be regarding coaching the units during games.

I bet DM enlists the help of a GA or two to assist him here...making sure adjustments are made, injured players are replaced on units properly, etc.

so he needs to stand there and do nothing all practice?

He needs to be involved in managing a little bit of everything and helping his staff fix problems that inevitably arise. Plus, on game day, he's got to be someone overseeing the big picture, making high level decision, working the refs, etc. Don't need him talking to the ST unit with his back to the field at any point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom