Marrone out | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

Getting to bowls is a function of good coaching, talent and unless you’re a really good program - a favorable schedule.

His second year’s strength of schedule was so weak anyone outside of Gerg could have got us to a bowl game. It’s an accomplishment, I enjoyed the win over KState very much - but if we played that type schedule every year we’d be bowling every year.

Again, I’m not saying he is a bad coach. He’s a mediocre coach. The middle level. That’s an accomplishment worth something. There are a lot of coaches who can’t touch Doug. That’s good.

We just got to take saint doug down a slot or two and evaluate with fair eyes

You really have no idea what you talking about

You really have no idea what you talking about

Try me. Take it apart, using actual data.

point 1: Marrone had an easier strength of schedule during his tenure (2nd year stands out) than any coach since Mac

point 2: Marrone is a mediocre HC at both the college level and at the NFL level

point 1: Marrone had an easier strength of schedule during his tenure (2nd year stands out) than any coach since Mac

point 2: Marrone is a mediocre HC at both the college level and at the NFL level

He also took over a program that had won 3 conference games in the past 4 years in the Big East. That's how bad it was. He had to totally rebuild the roster to compete.

You still have yet to consider that in all your number crunching.

We've had 29 head coaches in our history. So many get left out of these and it's not fair.

Can we hear more about the Chick Meehan era? Dude had a .787 winning % over 5 years! Or Jordan Wells, who never even won a game!
Always knew, Meehan, was a woman.

He also took over a program that had won 3 conference games in the past 4 years in the Big East. That's how bad it was. He had to totally rebuild the roster to compete.

You still have yet to consider that in all your number crunching.

That is somewhat true. Gerg’s recruiting was ok by modern standards if I remember the deep dive into recruiting rankings and draft picks. But losing so many games, the depleted BE, revenue crunch, and a meh AD was a lot to fight against.

It‘s not just number crunching. I lived through those years too. Not unlike the last 5. Ups and downs, fits and starts.

Again, I’m not arguing that he’s bad or did a bad job. He’s the OL coach on the richest, most elite CFB team there is.

His record is what it is. The data says he’s mediocre. Just like it says Dino is a tick under that. Mac was exceptional. P was very very good for a long time.

Its all there.

Marrone's best position as a football coach is at OL. He's in his comfort zone, at the best college program, and has tons of NFL money. Life is good for him.

Data doesn't always tell the whole story. Context is necessary, and I think it suits your current argument to ignore some of it here. I also thnk people sometimes turn to data and stats too much when they don't actually understand all of the intracicies of the sport. When I see coaches on here say the guy can gameplan and strategize a team to wins and optimize talent, I take that as he is more than a mediocre coach.

Last edited:
That is somewhat true. Gerg’s recruiting was ok by modern standards if I remember the deep dive into recruiting rankings and draft picks. But losing so many games, the depleted BE, revenue crunch, and a meh AD was a lot to fight against.

It‘s not just number crunching. I lived through those years too. Not unlike the last 5. Ups and downs, fits and starts.

Again, I’m not arguing that he’s bad or did a bad job. He’s the OL coach on the richest, most elite CFB team there is.

His record is what it is. The data says he’s mediocre. Just like it says Dino is a tick under that. Mac was exceptional. P was very very good for a long time.

Its all there.
I think Doug is a mediocre NFL coach but I cant say the same about him as a college coach. Without any head coaching experience he turned a bad program to good. There's no telling what he could have done if he stayed. He also didnt have your typical building block jobs where you can pad your overall coaching wins at smaller programs. He's been coaching at the highest level of the game. Much harder to get wins in the NFL. I love Mac but he wasnt as good as Doug in the NFL.

Last edited:
I think Doug is a mediocre NFL coach but I cant say the same about him as a college coach. Without any head coaching experience he turned a bad program to good. There's no telling what he could have done if he stayed. He also didnt have your typical building block jobs where you can pad your overall coaching wins at small programs. He's been coaching at the highest level of the game. Much harder to get wins in the NFL. I love Mac but he wasnt as good as Doug in the NFL.
Belichick looked pretty mediocre this season without Tom Brady. Who did Doug have as an NFL QB?

Its all there.
Your long, incessant debates to "prove" your opinion about Marrone remind me of the long incessant debates you had with many us to prove that Scott Shafer was a good HC, didn't deserve to be fired, and was the "reason" behind why Marrone did as well as he did when SS was the DC.

Marrone out coached and out schemed many of the teams on the schedule while pulling the team out of the abyss of losing that was the Robinson Era. So much so, that it was obvious to those that saw past the record to realize the actual coaching and leadership taking place on the field and behind the scenes. This is why the NFL came calling. This is why why he took the Bills to their first winning season in 10(?) years, this is why he was offered a 2nd NFL HC position even after quitting the Bills, and this is why he took the Jags to within a few plays of making the SB.

The only thing that is "all there" is your anti-Marrone biases

Your long, incessant debates to "prove" your opinion about Marrone remind me of the long incessant debates you had with many us to prove that Scott Shafer was a good HC, didn't deserve to be fired, and was the "reason" behind why Marrone did as well as he did when SS was the DC.

Marrone out coached and out schemed many of the teams on the schedule while pulling the team out of the abyss of losing that was the Robinson Era. So much so, that it was obvious to those that saw past the record to realize the actual coaching and leadership taking place on the field and behind the scenes. This is why the NFL came calling. This is why why he took the Bills to their first winning season in 10(?) years, this is why he was offered a 2nd NFL HC position even after quitting the Bills, and this is why he took the Jags to within a few plays of making the SB.

The only thing that is "all there" is your anti-Marrone biases

I don’t know, all these pro-Marrone arguments need a lot of qualifiers. It’s ok to be mediocre, y’all. Not every coach is Dabo or Saban.

Also, I’ve not once made the argument that Shafer shouldn’t have been fired. I stood with him until a few games into his third season. I made the case for Marrone when everyone was digging him for losing to Cincinnati his last year. I’ll make the case for Dino until he proves that it’s time. I’m sorry my opinions (and the stats most of the time don’t line up) with other people here? It’s a message board?

It’s cool if you want to disagree. I sometime change my mind on things as I’m persuaded by a good argument. The best I’ve seen in this case is that he got hired twice to the NFL and won some games. It’s got holes, so I’ll stand with the he’s a mediocre HC. If he ends up coaching in CFB as a HC again, we’ll have more data and more eyeballs to change our opinions.

I’m ok with disagreeing.

no one is trying to use data to prove I’m wrong so

I think Doug is a mediocre NFL coach but I cant say the same about him as a college coach. Without any head coaching experience he turned a bad program to good. There's no telling what he could have done if he stayed. He also didnt have your typical building block jobs where you can pad your overall coaching wins at smaller programs. He's been coaching at the highest level of the game. Much harder to get wins in the NFL. I love Mac but he wasnt as good as Doug in the NFL.
This is more persuasive as I know you are more knowledgeable than the rest of us fools lol

The problem is that he left (he should have left) so we don’t have enough info on what he’d become or take us with an ACC budget. I wouldn’t be against testing that theory here if Dino doesn’t get it done and he’s available

Wildhack would be a better match, I think

This is more persuasive as I know you are more knowledgeable than the rest of us fools lol

The problem is that he left (he should have left) so we don’t have enough info on what he’d become or take us with an ACC budget. I wouldn’t be against testing that theory here if Dino doesn’t get it done and he’s available

Wildhack would be a better match, I think
Fair points and you guys are life long Cuse fans as well. I know no more than you.

As a Bills fan, I'll always be thankful for Marrone walking away from the Bills. Without that happening, we may have never hired McDermott and Beane.

He would be making a lot of money - he would be having success - he would be living a stable life - he would be the toast of Central NY.

I believed it then, and I believe it now.

Coach Marrone made a mistake leaving Syracuse University in 2012.
The question is-What does he believe?

Right, you still need great players no matter how good the coach is

Agree. Anyone who thought losing a hall of fame QB wasn’t going to have ima. Impact does t understand the game. BB’s biggest issue is he has let talent slide over the years because he had a HOF QB. No way they recover year 1. Year 2 and 3 will be the real measure.

Agree. Anyone who thought losing a hall of fame QB wasn’t going to have ima. Impact does t understand the game. BB’s biggest issue is he has let talent slide over the years because he had a HOF QB. No way they recover year 1. Year 2 and 3 will be the real measure.
Facts

Marrone turned around things in 2010 when all was literally lost. It was bad. To that he has my eternal thanks for figuring out a way to unlock big East wins and getting us back to the bowls. GERG took away 20 years of Pasqualoni bowl harmony in a flash. This isn’t a P debate just the idea we were competitive even when it slipped vs GERG who made us irrelevant, non dangerous and a has been

marrone could have gone the Boeheim route and made good money in a cheaper part of the country and allowed that good will to compound into other revenue streams in CNY. Jim prob left money on table too not going to Ohio st but grass wasn’t greener for him

marrone should have stayed and tried to outlive the admin. W wildhack and sverud he would have had the necessary competence

Marrone turned around things in 2010 when all was literally lost. It was bad. To that he has my eternal thanks for figuring out a way to unlock big East wins and getting us back to the bowls. GERG took away 20 years of Pasqualoni bowl harmony in a flash. This isn’t a P debate just the idea we were competitive even when it slipped vs GERG who made us irrelevant, non dangerous and a has been

marrone could have gone the Boeheim route and made good money in a cheaper part of the country and allowed that good will to compound into other revenue streams in CNY. Jim prob left money on table too not going to Ohio st but grass wasn’t greener for him

marrone should have stayed and tried to outlive the admin. W wildhack and sverud he would have had the necessary competence

So - he shouldn't have tried to further his career in the NFL?
(which he actually did a pretty decent job at)

All so he could hope to maybe try "to outlive the admin"??

Yeah, no. There's exactly zero logic or sense in any of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom