Marrone Situation | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Situation

Jersey Orange

Legend
I do not see any way that Marrone returns to Syracuse next season and do not believe that he is posturing/leveraging. If he does not get an NFL head coaching position (I am convinced he will get one), I do believe that Marrone will selectively interview for collegiate HC positions and I do not believe it will take a ND / Oregon / SEC job for him to make the jump. Remember that there were rumors floating around several years ago (unverified) that Marrone was close to leaving SU for a comparable collegiate HC position after the first Pinstripe Bowl victory. It is a shame because this is a staff that is so strong from a scheme, player development and game planning perspective.

This comes at an awful time for Syracuse. While Marrone has rescued this program from disaster, he has done so through superb game planning, attention to detail, precise execution and player development (similar to UCONN's BCS run under Edsall) as opposed to high level recruiting and stockpiling of talent. While the program is absolutely turning the corner - it is also at a very fragile state - and at risk of slipping back to mediocrity.

With the move to the ACC - it is time for Syracuse to decide whether it wants to allocate resources to make a run towards being a program that competes regularly for BCS appearances. I really think that the next two weeks are going to shape the future of the program for the next 10 years. Very interesting times ahead.

This is the first I am hearing about HCDM almost leaving after Pinstripe 1, you got a link for any of that info?

I don't ever recall Marrone being "close to gone," after Pinstripe 1. I know he was praised for the turnaround that year and had mentions of being a candidate for other college positions, but, that is a far cry from close to gone.

You will not find a link to that rumor, but I have heard he was close to taking the Minnesota gig.

You will not find a link to that rumor, but I have heard he was close to taking the Minnesota gig.

If he did that...now that would be a huge slap in the face but I could see why he would leave, they have a beautiful stadium.

Minnesota!!???

So does this indicate that Doug has had an ongoing battle with [fill in the blank] over capital improvements for the football program since he first came on board?

I do not see any way that Marrone returns to Syracuse next season and do not believe that he is posturing/leveraging. If he does not get an NFL head coaching position (I am convinced he will get one), I do believe that Marrone will selectively interview for collegiate HC positions and I do not believe it will take a ND / Oregon / SEC job for him to make the jump. Remember that Marrone was close to leaving SU for a comparable collegiate HC position after the first Pinstripe Bowl victory. It is a shame because this is a staff that is so strong from a scheme, player development and game planning perspective.

This comes at an awful time for Syracuse. While Marrone has rescued this program from disaster, he has done so through superb game planning, attention to detail, precise execution and player development (similar to UCONN's BCS run under Edsall) as opposed to high level recruiting and stockpiling of talent. While the program is absolutely turning the corner - it is also at a very fragile state - and at risk of slipping back to mediocrity.

With the move to the ACC - it is time for Syracuse to decide whether it wants to allocate resources to make a run towards being a program that competes regularly for BCS appearances. I really think that the next two weeks are going to shape the future of the program for the next 10 years. Very interesting times ahead.

Thank you for making a return to the board.

If in the next two weeks, SU decides to allocate the proper resources to staff salary, facilities, upgrades, etc., is there any way you can see that Marrone stays?

I sincerely hope administration does the right thing. I don't care what steps need to be taken, and I really honestly and truly don't care about proper accounting principles and practices in getting facilities built, etc.

All I want is a competitive football team. And with the program on the brink of making a jump, I just really hope we can do everything in our power as a University and as an alumni base to keep ascending. I am not sure I can (or the football program can, for that matter) take another GRob hire. And if you don't think that can happen, look around the country and the NFL at all of the incompetent coaches that have been hired. It's staggering.

I don't claim to be an insider and certainly don't have the connections you do Jake, but I do know somebody very close with Doug. A former teammate and still a close friend, that speaks to the contrary, in regards to the change after Pinstripe 1. I've not spoken to this person since all of this has happened.

JO can you clarify the reasons why Marrone is looking to leave and why you feel he wont be returning. Seems there are several different factors at play here and would love to get your take. Also if he does leave which seems likely at this point, what would you like to see SU do, ie coach wise.

Get out?!?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect to Marrone and the OP, there is no way that we can slip back into mediocrity. For all the improvements that have been made since the G-Rob era, the highest level this program has achieved in the last 4 years is mediocrity. Two 8-5 seasons with two bottom to mid-level bowl wins and a 25-25 record over the last few years is the epitome of mediocrity.

Now obviously I'm happy with the progress that has been made, and mediocrity is certainly better than gouge-your-eyes-out terrible like we experienced in the G-Rob years, but lets not pretend like if DM leaves, then we are suddenly going to decline from being a national power back into mediocrity. We are currently in that state as it is.

I had asked around and that rumor was debunked.

With all due respect to Marrone and the OP, there is no way that we can slip back into mediocrity. For all the improvements that have been made since the G-Rob era, the highest level this program has achieved in the last 4 years is mediocrity. Two 8-5 seasons with two bottom to mid-level bowl wins and a 25-25 record over the last few years is the epitome of mediocrity.

Now obviously I'm happy with the progress that has been made, and mediocrity is certainly better than gouge-your-eyes-out terrible like we experienced in the G-Rob years, but lets not pretend like if DM leaves, then we are suddenly going to decline from being a national power back into mediocrity. We are currently in that state as it is.

Sure we were only 8-5 this season and played in a relatively minor bowl game - but taking a snapshot of the team as of today taking into account the way they finished the season - it is hard to argue that there is a better team in the Big East or more than 24 better teams right now in the NCAA. All of this while lacking special talent, having solid but unspectacular skill position players and minimal depth, and a QB (developed by Marrone and Hackett) that was a Wing-T player in HS who was bypassed for a Duke PG in Marrone's first season. I do think that this staff, with the proper support and infrastructure, is on the path to doing very very good things at SU.

I do not see any way that Marrone returns to Syracuse next season and do not believe that he is posturing/leveraging. If he does not get an NFL head coaching position (I am convinced he will get one), I do believe that Marrone will selectively interview for collegiate HC positions and I do not believe it will take a ND / Oregon / SEC job for him to make the jump. Remember that there were rumors floating around several years ago (unverified) that Marrone was close to leaving SU for a comparable collegiate HC position after the first Pinstripe Bowl victory. It is a shame because this is a staff that is so strong from a scheme, player development and game planning perspective.

Allocate resources in which way? 3 other ACC schools are building practice facilities, or just did, and all of them were 100% funded with donor money. What must the school do to find these donors? I know the school and even the staff have worked hard to identify and culitvate these people but what is the magic wand? I feel the investment in the program is lacking from a fan/donor perspective far more than an SU perspective.

Sure we were only 8-5 this season and played in a relatively minor bowl game - but taking a snapshot of the team as of today taking into account the way they finished the season - it is hard to argue that there is a better team in the Big East or more than 24 better teams right now in the NCAA. All of this while lacking special talent, having solid but unspectacular skill position players and minimal depth, and a QB (developed by Marrone and Hackett) that was a Wing-T player in HS who was bypassed for a Duke PG in Marrone's first season. I do think that this staff, with the proper support and infrastructure, is on the path to doing very very good things at SU.
What are the chances of a positive outcome to the million dollar question? That question being, the University making the investments needed to have a successful program and to keep this HC for the long term.

I do not see any way that Marrone returns to Syracuse next season and do not believe that he is posturing/leveraging. If he does not get an NFL head coaching position (I am convinced he will get one), I do believe that Marrone will selectively interview for collegiate HC positions and I do not believe it will take a ND / Oregon / SEC job for him to make the jump.

This doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

There are almost no college HC jobs open right now. Maybe 1-2 will open up if someone jumps to the NFL. Are you suggesting that Marrone will certainly fill one of those 1-2, or will somehow get hired into a job that isn't currently open right now?

If he leaves for the NFL, I get it. But the college part makes no sense.

well... the nfl seems to be shaking out. there are reports that he has no shot at the browns gig and the bills are infatuated with Wisnehunt.

I think everyone is getting worked up, but not Doc nor Doug. They seemed to have a nice chat at the bball game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom