Marrone Situation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Situation

If he leaves, it's going to really mess up my plans for the HCDM tattoo I've been saving up for...
Please tell me your tat was going to be framed within a piece of bologna.

OK, fair enough. You basically think it's a lock that he gets an NFL HC offer then, right? Because if you're certain he won't be back those college scenarios involve a lot of unpredictable moving pieces.

Also seems strange that no insiders here have hinted that he is feeling that insurmountably bad about being at SU. I mean you make it sound like he hates the place now and wants to be anywhere else, right? That's something that I would assume might have come up prior to a week ago.

Just think it's odd that this hit the fan so quickly and violently. As Chip just said, if he's THAT down on SU why didn't he vigorously pursue the dozens of open jobs there were 4 weeks ago?
if he were a lock, he wouldn't need to float his name out there (which i think he did)

OK, fair enough. You basically think it's a lock that he gets an NFL HC offer then, right? Because if you're certain he won't be back those college scenarios involve a lot of unpredictable moving pieces.

Also seems strange that no insiders here have hinted that he is feeling that insurmountably bad about being at SU. I mean you make it sound like he hates the place now and wants to be anywhere else, right? That's something that I would assume might have come up prior to a week ago.

Just think it's odd that this hit the fan so quickly and violently. As Chip just said, if he's THAT down on SU why didn't he vigorously pursue the dozens of open jobs there were 4 weeks ago?
maybe he's impulsive. i don't think he has great control over his emotions - was pretty easy to tell how the next game would go by looking at his demeanor the week of

if he were a lock, he wouldn't need to float his name out there (which i think he did)

Yeah - sportscenter wouldn't simultaneously announce that both the bills and browns would be interviewing him if it wasn't confirmed by him (or, more likely, his agent)...

Sure we were only 8-5 this season and played in a relatively minor bowl game - but taking a snapshot of the team as of today taking into account the way they finished the season - it is hard to argue that there is a better team in the Big East or more than 24 better teams right now in the NCAA. All of this while lacking special talent, having solid but unspectacular skill position players and minimal depth, and a QB (developed by Marrone and Hackett) that was a Wing-T player in HS who was bypassed for a Duke PG in Marrone's first season. I do think that this staff, with the proper support and infrastructure, is on the path to doing very very good things at SU.

Good to see your input here as always.

I wouldn't read anything in to the chat at the hoop game. They are both professionals and I am sure there would be no hard feelings if Doug leaves. That is the business they have chosen. Does anyone really doubt that if UCLA or USC opened up, tgd wouldn't leave if they offered him?

USC, he would seem to be a Pat Haden kind of guy. How bad would SC fans riot if a Hackett was back running the offense?

USC, he would seem to be a Pat Haden kind of guy. How bad would SC fans riot if a Hackett was back running the offense?
LOL I'm thinking how bad they would riot losing to a UCLA team run by an offense by a guy named hackett. That my friend, would be a riot. Make the 4 cops being acquited look like a church social.

LOL I'm thinking how bad they would riot losing to a UCLA team run by an offense by a guy named hackett. That my friend, would be a riot. Make the 4 cops being acquited look like a church social.

Mora's not going anywhere, this year.

If he leaves, it's going to really mess up my plans for the HCDM tattoo I've been saving up for...

You bringing in your SU memorabilia too and trading it for free tattoos?

I'm running out of space and I still have a few GRob autograph pics to unload. sigh
images

You bringing in your SU memorabilia too and trading it for free tattoos?

I'm running out of space and I still have a few GRob autograph pics to unload. sigh
images

I've got a spot on my backside, just waiting for it...right next to the pic of The Little Engine that Could!

But leaving for another college job? That would kinda make him full of .

And, for the record, I don't think he's full of .

I don't know about this part. I think there is a difference between getting a dream job and simultaneously souring on it vs. BSing your way into a job you pretended was a dream job but were just planning on using it as a stepping stone. Circumstances change all the time and the fact that most of us aren't held accountable by public record for all of our opinions is a very good thing for all of us.

I don't know about this part. I think there is a difference between getting a dream job and simultaneously souring on it vs. BSing your way into a job you pretended was a dream job but were just planning on using it as a stepping stone. Circumstances change all the time and the fact that most of us aren't held accountable by public record for all of our opinions is a very good thing for all of us.

I get that, but to be this sour on it already and go to another college for essentially the same job?

If he didn't know what he was getting himself into at SU, then that's an entirely different story. But never once did I have that impression. If it's about promises that weren't kept, I hope we get to hear them someday. Especially the part about why they weren't kept.

ACC alone should make this a better job, not worse. Marrone's hiring wasn't some Randy Edsall behind a podium saying I grew up in Pennsylvania so Maryland is my dream job moment. It was a lengthy and detailed story about all roads leading here from an alumnus who would tell anyone that cared to listen. And he's done a great job. The program is in much better shape. Suddenly he's sour?

I hate speculating on this stuff when I don't know the whole story, so I try to stay high road. But something here really wouldn't add up if Marrone ever seriously considered taking the head coaching job at another FBS school.

I get that, but to be this sour on it already and go to another college for essentially the same job?

If he didn't know what he was getting himself into at SU, then that's an entirely different story. But never once did I have that impression. If it's about promises that weren't kept, I hope we get to hear them someday. Especially the part about why they weren't kept.

ACC alone should make this a better job, not worse. Marrone's hiring wasn't some Randy Edsall behind a podium saying I grew up in Pennsylvania so Maryland is my dream job moment. It was a lengthy and detailed story about all roads leading here from an alumnus who would tell anyone that cared to listen. And he's done a great job. The program is in much better shape. Suddenly he's sour?

I hate speculating on this stuff when I don't know the whole story, so I try to stay high road. But something here really wouldn't add up if Marrone ever seriously considered taking the head coaching job at another FBS school.

Fair points. I guess I have been in enough crappy jobs that weren't at all what they were sold to be. So perhaps it's my own experience that has that coming through. I also tend to take everything any coach/politician/public figure says with a grain of salt so I never quite bought into all the dream job stuff -- which truly may have been entirely sincere.

But why would he take another college job? Because SU can't compete on a facilities level with the big boys? This wouldn't imply that he's a smart guy, because everyone knew this. Only a dumb guy wouldn't. For the record, I don't think Doug is a dumb guy. At all.

If he leaves for an NFL job, great. It's the pinnacle. But leaving for another college job? That would kinda make him full of .

And, for the record, I don't think he's full of .

Doug is undoubtedly a strategic planner and smart guy, Chip. Just because he "perceived" SU to be his dream job during the interview process and upon his hire does not mean that circumstances cannot change. The pinnacle may be an NFL job, but it also may be competing for an NCAA Championship which may or may not be possible under the current circumstances. There are other circumstances at play too which I am sure D.R. will reveal in time.

Yes I do believe that Marrone will get an NFL job and I also believe that he will look at major college openings which I would never have believed previously.

Marrone's stock was simply not as high now as it was 4-5 weeks ago prior to the Pinstripe Bowl and the final two weeks of the season. Further, I believe he would prefer an NFL job over another college job and the NFL regular seasons had not been completed at that point.

There is the facilities and the commitment point as well as some other factors at play that hopefully Dave Rahme will at some point share in a chat.

Yes I do believe that Marrone will get an NFL job and I also believe that he will look at major college openings which I would never have believed previously.

Marrone's stock was simply not as high now as it was 4-5 weeks ago prior to the Pinstripe Bowl and the final two weeks of the season. Further, I believe he would prefer an NFL job over another college job and the NFL regular seasons had not been completed at that point.

There is the facilities and the commitment point as well as some other factors at play that hopefully Dave Rahme will at some point share in a chat.

Fair enough. I certainly don't know what's up, so that's something interesting to chew on.

Doug is undoubtedly a strategic planner and smart guy, Chip. Just because he "perceived" SU to be his dream job during the interview process and upon his hire does not mean that circumstances cannot change. The pinnacle may be an NFL job, but it also may be competing for an NCAA Championship which may or may not be possible under the current circumstances. There are other circumstances at play too which I am sure D.R. will reveal in time.

I think he was completely sincere, and I think he built it up to the point were reality couldn't meet it. At the same time that doesn't mean that things haven't happened that would lead anyone to think twice.

I think he was completely sincere, and I think he built it up to the point were reality couldn't meet it. At the same time that doesn't mean that things haven't happened that would lead anyone to think twice.
Honest question. In general, if Marrone were to take an NFL HC job, how would his working hours (in terms of #/day) compare to what he does now? Would it be year-round?

A lot of this could just be timing as well. We know that there has been a big push back towards an emphasis on academics and raising the academic profile/standards of the Univ. in line with the Wee One's announced departure. If that's the case, asking the BOT to pump a bunch of money into FB right this moment would likely not be well received. I also suspect that the next Chancellor's Job #1, #2 and #3 is going to be increasing the schools academic profile/admission's standards. Everything else will be secondary. Maybe DM and TGD know who some of the replacement chancelor candidates are and they're more Buzz then Nancy.

Fair enough. I certainly don't know what's up, so that's something interesting to chew on.

And for the records this is not one of those "I know something" posts that float around on those boards because I do not have any answers. I have heard rumors but have no way of knowing if they are true.

Does anyone see the University stepping to try and resolve or at least show an effort to resolve the "issues" and "frustrations" that Doug has before it is too late?

Or is it already too late?

I personally would be stunned, and I mean stunned, if he left for another college job. And if he was close to leaving after the first PS game he never mentioned it to me. Never.
Very very interesting comment. At least, I think so. Hm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom