Maryland files 157 million dollar countersuit against the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland files 157 million dollar countersuit against the ACC

maryland is run by bathsoap smoking idiots - if they had waited a bit they could have stayed in the acc and had almost as much $$$$ as the big is paying- they tied themselves to joisey state when they did make the move -add in this and i rest my case about who runs that state and university

The Big 10 doesn't want that kind of lawsuit going forward, Maryland secretly conspired with the Big 10, they don't want their people to have to end up testifying, or secret negotiations becoming public records. Maryland will be told to drop the lawsuit, or find another conference.

How come the suit doesn't name ESPN along with the ACC. This suit makes no sense, the logic on this is hurting my head

I have not read the filings, but on the surface this apears to be a frivolous claim.

There is no dispute that UMD approved of the initial withdrawal fee s they will owe no less than that number. The ACC has the right to withhold payments to UMD in lieu of UMD's dduty to pay the exit fee. The only real issue is how much UMD owes.

As to Pitt and Wake recruiting a B1G school, UMD is essentially giving strength to the ACC claim against the B1G for tortious interference. This is likely to go nowhere. I cannot see where B1G teams would be willing to allow public scrutiny of their inner workings in such a volatile situation. There is no benefit to the B1G's dirty laundry being aired out in a competitor's forum and a competitor's benefit. Plus UMD and the ACC did the same to the Big East - TWICE!

As to the $157MM one has to wonder where that number comes from. As no teams left the B1G, where is the loss? Assuming UMD could prove their entire case, they must still prove damages.

This guy must be running for Congress. Only Congress is allowed to pull numbers from their posterior and use them as if they are fundamentally sound.

There is no dispute that UMD approved of the initial withdrawal fee s they will owe no less than that number. The ACC has the right to withhold payments to UMD in lieu of UMD's dduty to pay the exit fee. The only real issue is how much UMD owes.
I think the issue is whether or not the vote on the withdrawal fee was legitimate or not but Maryland doesn't seem to have an issue with that yet.

When this is all said and done, I hope the ACC countersues for the ridiculous legal fees, among other things.

This is such a joke.

I think the issue is whether or not the vote on the withdrawal fee was legitimate or not but Maryland doesn't seem to have an issue with that yet.
I aagree as applied to the current exit fee, this remains at issue. However, prior to this exit fee there existed another exit fee (between 1 - 1.5 of an annual TV disbursement, if I recall). That fee was unanimously agreed to and was never challenged. Hope this helps.

As I have said many times I think it may have been Lou_C or Billybud, but one of them said the reason Florida State voted no on the increase to 50 million dollars was that Swofford/ACC didn't follow the bylaws that required any vote change the bylaws required 14 days notice, and that notice hadn't been given by the ACC. Thus, Florida State president Barron voted no to protect FSU in case they were able to leave for the SEC. Maryland never made this procedural argument in their original suit, and I don't know if it was waived by not pleading it or not. I would think under the FRCP or NCRCP that yes it would be waived, but Maryland may try anyway. Maryland's argument is that this an anti-trust violation and I just don't see that argument being successful.

I forgot to add that if UMD prevails on the current exit fee, the former would apply. This makes the overall issue over the difference between the two and places the ACC on very firm footing to withhold payouts.

Would love for Loh and Delaney to be deposed regarding which ACC schools the B1G was targeting and who was behind that. And also how long Maryland and the B1G were in negotiations since MD voted against the exit fee increase. Storrs fanboys have hardons over ESPN, but just like the ACC destroyed the BE, the B1G seemingly tried to destroy the ACC.

Maryland comes off a little desperate with the Pitt/Wake thing. Pitt wasn't even a member of the ACC at the time, so not sure how they could have been officially acting on the ACC's behalf.

Every conference has interfered with other conferences, I just don't see where they are going with that. Also if Maryland is alleging that a school leaving the B1G for the ACC would harm Maryland, aren't they essentially admitting the ACC's contention that Maryland leaving causes irreparable harm to the ACC thereby necessitating the high exit fee?

"Well, Your Honor. We've plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence."

Lionel_hutz.jpg

PSU and who else?

The only other 2 that seem desireable are Michigan or Ohio State. UM would match up well academically in the ACC, not sure on OSU.

edit - Maybe an outside shot at Sparty as well. UM or MSU would make the most sense as it pertains to selling ND on full time membership.

Judge Judy would have this sorted out in a half hour.

Does the ACC now countersue Maryland's countersuit? Can you countersue a counter suit or is it like a double stamp?
images

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 5m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

Obviously Penn State is one of the schools. The second.....Maryland?

Think about it. Take an established B1G school along with their link to the Mid-Atlantic...and stick the B1G with Rutgers.

How EPIC would that have been?

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 5m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

Lol, I wish I could be the ACC lawyer to file for summary judgment. This is going to be delicious and shows Maryland is trying to be aggressive to let the ACC let them go for 20 million. Get your popcorn ready. The only negative is WVU Jihadists will love saying this is the end for the ACC.

What does Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials talking to Big Ten members have to do with Maryland? That makes no sense.

What does Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials talking to Big Ten members have to do with Maryland? That makes no sense.

Agreed. And how does that cause irreparable harm to Maryland and from Maryland's point of view, them leaving the ACC does not cause any harm to the ACC to justify the exit fee?

Northwestern seems like the other school that would have been targeted. HCSS one step ahead of everyone already adding the midwest into our recruiting frootprint.

This suit makes no sense, its why I think its all about publicity for the MD AG in an election year. If Pitt/Wake talking to B1G members impacts UMD then UConn/Cincinnati/South Florida would have sued the crap off the ACC. Its the free market you can always try to make your situation better. Htown nailed it above it would actually be tortuous interference from the B1G towards the ACC on Maryland if UMD's own claim is to be believed.

I wish I could like this 100x times the Chewbacca Defense
Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca . Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Relax guys, this is all just posturing to determine who will rule the new super duper conference called the Super B1G ACC, which will be adding Oklahoma (explains their delay in joining the B1G), ND, Texas and a school to be named later. That's the rumor I heard, and now it is on the inter webs so it must be true.

I wish I could like this 100x times the Chewbacca Defense
Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca . Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

I just figured Chewy was a freak with a fetish for little people.