Maryland fires Mark Turgeon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland fires Mark Turgeon

What has happened at Maryland post Williams is likely what we will happen here at Syracuse post-Boeheim.

They have good seasons and bad seasons.
Expectations needs to be adjusted around here.
We aren’t golden Era Syracuse anymore.
Gary Williams didn’t go out like he wanted either.

Not true. Ayala just wouldn't give us his commit. That ordeal went on for a long time.
That went on FOREVER. Our coaches kept trying to get him to reclassify but he kept dragging his feet. Then we moved on. Then he reclassified anyway over the summer and chose Maryland.

What has happened at Maryland post Williams is likely what we will happen here at Syracuse post-Boeheim.

Maryland has been solid and more consistent than us in the regular season. The Turd’s problem has been underachieving in the tourney.

Their freshman top recruit James Graham III had entered the transfer Portal a day earlier. The fan base was not thrilled with that.

Williard would be an awesome choice to keep Maryland crappy for another 5 years. He has that rat face and scumbag background the Terps like in their coaches. Rotten coach too,

Seems like a perfect fit.

It's not like the old days when they had an upstanding citizen like Lefty Driesell coaching there.

Why can't it be the Villanova model where we hire a guy that's pretty good and then hire someone who takes us to a different level?

John Feinstein nailed it. Some facts and interesting nuggets from his WaPo article:
—If there had been an NCAA postseason in 2020, Turgeon would have entered this season having been to six NCAA tournaments in the past seven seasons. (That’s much more consistent than Cuse in the past seven seasons and they also usually had better regular season records.)

—“Coincidence or not, Maryland took off under Turgeon after moving to the Big Ten for the 2014-15 season and went 79-25 the next three years, making the Sweet 16 in 2016. In 2020, the Terrapins were 24-7 and finished in a three-way tie for the Big Ten regular season title. That team never got to find out how good it might have been because the coronavirus pandemic shut down the postseason before it got started.”

—Gary Williams, who is a great coach despite some naysayers on this board, only made the tourney in 3 of his last 7 seasons, and never made it out of the first weekend of the tourney in those 3 seasons.

—“Turgeon was always aware that Maryland’s fan base never fully accepted him. He made a mistake by never embracing Williams, who is still on the Maryland payroll and would no doubt have loved to have some involvement with the program that went beyond fundraising.”

Last edited:
Why can't it be the Villanova model where we hire a guy that's pretty good and then hire someone who takes us to a different level?
Agreed. Or how about skip that middle step and just hire someone who can take us back to the level JB had us at for 40 years?

For those of you who don’t have a subscription Aldridge thinks Maryland ultimately hires Willard…

For those of you who don’t have a subscription Aldridge thinks Maryland ultimately hires Willard…

Great read, lots of potentially good short and long term choices. Bruce Pearl would be an absolute animal there.

Tom Crean and Mark Turgeon are great case studies for Syracuse. They both won a lot of regular season games at Indiana and Maryland, but in the seasons they were really good they underachieved their seeding in the tournament.

Fans had less patience for mediocre seasons because of it.

If you’re at a top 20 program winning in the regular season will never be enough.

Tom Crean and Mark Turgeon are great case studies for Syracuse. They both won a lot of regular season games at Indiana and Maryland, but in the seasons they were really good they underachieved their seeding in the tournament.

If you’re at a top 20 program winning in the regular season will never be enough.
Thats a great point. Unless you give the fans some excitement you are toast.

UConn won a NC post Calhoun and tbeir regular seasons sucking got Ollie fired.
I will take 3 terrible years if we win a title.

Balance is nice but winning it all is the point sum.

Look at Virginia now. They won their NC. This season looks like a rebuild.
They won a Covid ACC regular season like year but it’s okay to take a step back for a year.

Our problem is we win 2 March madness games but we aren’t capable of going the distance.

You need to win in the regular season to go the distance.

I don’t want to be a plucky team that wins 2 games and then loses in the sweet 16.

Boeheim is Gary Williams at UMD with a couple of sweet 16s at the end.

Wildhack has to nail the successor to Boeheim. The next HC needs to bring energy to the job.
It’s why I don’t want anyone on the bench now. Red would be the best one if they had too.
GMac is too much like Boeheim energy wise.

UConn won a NC post Calhoun and tbeir regular seasons sucking got Ollie fired.
I will take 3 terrible years if we win a title.

Balance is nice but winning it all is the point sum.

Look at Virginia now. They won their NC. This season looks like a rebuild.
They won a Covid ACC regular season like year but it’s okay to take a step back for a year.

Our problem is we win 2 March madness games but we aren’t capable of going the distance.

You need to win in the regular season to go the distance.

I don’t want to be a plucky team that wins 2 games and then loses in the sweet 16.

Boeheim is Gary Williams at UMD with a couple of sweet 16s at the end.

Wildhack has to nail the successor to Boeheim. The next HC needs to bring energy to the job.
It’s why I don’t want anyone on the bench now. Red would be the best one if they had too.
GMac is too much like Boeheim energy wise.
I guarantee this place isn’t going to be happy if we win 25 games and get bounced the first weekend in March.

JT 3 got Georgetown the tournament every year until the last 2 seasons and he ultimately go run out because those years he was contending with Syracuse, UConn, Pitt and Louisville for BE titles he kept getting beat early.

Same for Dixon at Pitt.

I want to contend for National Titles too, but our fans are lying to themselves if they are suddenly going to be happy because we are 25-6 on March 7th, but ultimately lose to Northern Iowa in the 2/7 game in the round of 32.

Regular season success is never enough for fans despite what people say now. Thats what we need to remember.

I guarantee this place isn’t going to be happy if we win 25 games and get bounced the first weekend in March.

JT 3 got Georgetown the tournament every year until the last 2 seasons and he ultimately go run out because those years he was contending with Syracuse, UConn, Pitt and Louisville for BE titles he kept getting beat early.

Same for Dixon at Pitt.

I want to contend for National Titles too, but our fans are lying to themselves if they are suddenly going to be happy because we are 25-6 on March 7th, but ultimately lose to Northern Iowa in the 2/7 game in the round of 32.

Regular season success is never enough for fans despite what people say now. Thats what we need to remember.
Regular season success means the program is good.
A one off tournament in March doesn’t matter if you win 2 games.

Georgetown choked in the tournaments but JT3 didn’t get fired till he started sucking in the regular season.

Pitt fans ran Dixon off. They didn’t get to the final four. They won some games in the tournament just didn’t get to the final four.

Our fans defend this mediocrity as much as people would complain about choking in the tournament.
We aren’t a big dog anymore.
Our fans here pretend we are. That is my crux.

That is why if people are going to pretend we are big dog I am going to respond with expectations of a big dog.
If we aren’t then I am fine being what we are. A plucky middle of the road team that can win some games in March but not a contender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom