Maryland Game Preview (2/17/24, 6pm) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/17/24, 6pm)

Wow - tremendous summary! To me, face-offs and the Cuse offense vs Maryland D will be the deciding factors. We will learn a lot about how good our offense is. If Will Mark has a great game, he could be a "WILLD" card.

I like the way the schedule is set up - if we struggle against MD, it will be a reality check and we will have some time to work on improvement before we face the ACC pretty boys in late March and April.

I can't wait to see this one in prime time.

There will be sometime to work out the kinks if SU falls on Saturday but a Wed matchup with Utah won't be a cakewalk and then you get army the following Wed which is a fascinating matchup as Army looks loaded everywhere but goalie which is usually the opposite as they are usually incredibly strong there and good to OK most other spots.

Sat will answer a lot of questions on both sides of the ball. Faceoff and goalie play are absolutely enormous. SU can't allow Wierman to win 70% and hope to have any realistic chance of winning. Offensively they can't allow McAnaney to get into a groove where he's putting up 18-19+ saves. Have to challenge him with good shots and shot placement. SU has their hands full Sat.

I agree of course faceoffs have to be 50% or better at least. Offense has to be successful on majority of their possessions not wasting opportunities. Also think also huge huge factor in this game is will mark needs to be on point. Have not love what i’ve seen from him so far. He hasn’t been bad but have not see really any “wow” saves and he hasn’t made a ton. He seemed to be guessing at times instead of reaction just hasn’t looked like himself and for us to win he needs to be himself plus 2. Honestly in the mins in the one game mccool was in he made some pretty nice saves. Some right on door step. Have faith in mark of course no reason to not just he needs to be a lot better then he has as the comp is gonna vamp up from here. Also our shooters need to change plains when shoot and maby some even good old hard bouncers. Can’t wait for this game super excited hopefully cuse proves they truely are improved. Please coach also don’t keep kol in if he isn’t up to it. If he’s on maltz dude is finisher off ball guy, kol can not let him roam freely or lose him.

I agree of course faceoffs have to be 50% or better at least. Offense has to be successful on majority of their possessions not wasting opportunities. Also think also huge huge factor in this game is will mark needs to be on point. Have not love what i’ve seen from him so far. He hasn’t been bad but have not see really any “wow” saves and he hasn’t made a ton. He seemed to be guessing at times instead of reaction just hasn’t looked like himself and for us to win he needs to be himself plus 2. Honestly in the mins in the one game mccool was in he made some pretty nice saves. Some right on door step. Have faith in mark of course no reason to not just he needs to be a lot better then he has as the comp is gonna vamp up from here. Also our shooters need to change plains when shoot and maby some even good old hard bouncers. Can’t wait for this game super excited hopefully cuse proves they truely are improved. Please coach also don’t keep kol in if he isn’t up to it. If he’s on maltz dude is finisher off ball guy, kol can not let him roam freely or lose him.
I think Will got a little comfortable these games not seeing so many shots like he's used too. Don't forget he got peppered at LIU for 3 yrs then last yr at SU so not seeing many shots he might have gotten complacent. He's def made some good saves we're just used to seeing him making saves all game long because last yr losing so many face offs he was in the game non stop making saves. I think this week we know Weirman is a top Fogo so he's gonna win faceoffs. We hope our guys can keep it around 50% or more which how they have looked it's definitely possible but Will is gonna get tested this week. I bet he makes some big time save's Saturday. He's an excellent goalie. Yeah his percentage dropped the end of season last yr but he was getting peppered by 3 of the best teams in college lacrosse non stop due to those teams having so many possessions. I remember ND game the whole 4th Q they won every face off and had the ball the whole time. Ppl say ur percentage is not effected by more shots on goal but I just don't believe that. A QB can complete 8 out of 10 passes and be at 80% but if he throws 40 passes it's inevitable his % is gonna drop. Defense makes a great play just like Shellenberger or O'Neil takes a great shot on him.

Not that I care too much overall, but Gait is looking more comfortable with the news media lately. Some thoughtful responses as well. Hoping it is a sign he has a lot more confidence in the team this year and feels more relaxed. I think the point about the offense needing to be patient is spot on. We tend to get our looks, so don't settle for a lower percentage shot early in the clock when a better opportunity could be coming later. Thought that hurt us at times during the colgate game. And he's right that we know our guys have the talent to finish clean looks, but can they do it with the pressure cranked up? You can get away with a few blown easy opportunities against the Colgates of the world, but it simply cannot happen against MD if we want to win this thing. Have to focus and finish with pride tomorrow. McNaney will stop anything weak.

Also he is right how annoying it is that the refs can only review a crease call and not whether or not the guy was pushed in the crease on that same play. They see that on replay and they cannot retroactively throw a flag or still say good goal because of the push. They see you in the goal mouth and they will throw the flag no matter how you got there if there was no flag. Advantage to the challenger in that situation.

Wicks went down about half way through.
The Terps seemed to go the rest of the way with a rotation of the other 3: Sharkey, Redd and Stamos.
Rewatching the first half of the game. Wicks went down at 8:05 in the first quarter.
Btn+ didn't show us how Wicks looked walking off the field.

Would be hilarious if after all this talk of the Spallina Zappitello matchup they just put him on Hiltz like they did last year.

Would be hilarious if after all this talk of the Spallina Zappitello matchup they just put him on Hiltz like they did last year.

Lol, I don't think that's likely to happen. Zapp is far and away their best overall defender and though he's better suited for speed matchups I'm hard pressed to see them going with someone else.

<bitching>
Bummed that I won’t get to see this on TV live, just as many of you will miss the hoops game.
I’ll be at the hoops game in Atlanta.

Who scheduled these two games to conflict?
I suspect it was ESPN trying to stomp The CW.
The hoops schedule was available for quite a while. A 1:00 or 2:00 start would’ve been much better.

Yes, I also understand that it is a lax double header.

I’ll shut up now.
</bitching>

Go Orange!

<bitching>
Bummed that I won’t get to see this on TV live, just as many of you will miss the hoops game.
I’ll be at the hoops game in Atlanta.

Who scheduled these two games to conflict?
I suspect it was ESPN trying to stomp The CW.
The hoops schedule was available for quite a while. A 1:00 or 2:00 start would’ve been much better.

Yes, I also understand that it is a lax double header.

I’ll shut up now.
</bitching>

Go Orange!

Espn App, should be able to watch both without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom