Maryland Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

If they limited some of passing turnovers and won few more faceoffs and not so many penalties think they could of won. The olexo one was stupid guy didn’t have ball n back was clearly to him seem emotions got him there. Overall they kept battling O scored with most of their chances. I don’t get why ride one faceoff guy even tho getting beat cleanly. I thought at one point at end threw someone else in there n he won clamp n pushed it out but we lost ball wasn’t johnny. Could been seeing thing hard to tell numbers with that camera angle n how high. Either way defense settled in a bit had some nice moments but also left guys wide open by ball watching and not talking enough. Think this team can really do some damage tho if get rid of some of rookie mistakes. Maryland is still prob one of top teams even if lost to loyola who just beat hopkins so maby they are good. But without doubt have to win least two of these next three games. Curious if they drop us out of ranks tho as seen a lot of cuse haters out there after last year for polls. Also think offense got away to much from what they really good at which is passing and moving ball which prob was to avoid makar and ajax but think was a lot more iso and man on man dodging which did score. Didn’t think would win this game but really hoped they made a game of it and they did they kept battling just dumb mistakes run by emotions. To much stick swinging no body and defense didn’t seem as physical as first couple weeks. Also think on D they also stayed off their guy to much make maryland have easy passes thrown and catches while also giving them few steps before our guy engaged making it easier to fake out guys. Sadden by lost but think season can be bright.

The bad:
Face-offs - I think I saw Gibbs get in there for one near the end. Feels like they could have tried something different at the face-off X. Richiusa against Vermont and especially Albany seemed to be getting better as the game went on, but this game didn't feel like that. Hate, hate, hate not having a decent FOGO, as it's just such a defeating feeling. That said Loyola defeated Maryland last week winning just four. Have to find other ways to win.

Short stick defense - just a pitiful performance. Bad on ball, bad on switches, bad off ball. SU needs to enter the 21st century and realize that you need at least two or three SSDMs over six feet tall. Maryland had a clear strategy to pick on whoever the shorty was and Syracuse had no answer. I expect other defenses will try and replicate it. Aviles coming back will help but still feels like we need one or two more guys who can hold their own.

Canadian Connection - Simmons and Thomson did not play well today, though they connected at the end of the game for a meaningless EMO score. Thomson seemed to have trouble corralling the ball and also had a silly penalty after turning over the ball which I can't stand. Simmons had four turnovers. Those two need to play much better moving forward.

The good:
Will Mark - obviously without the new goaltender Maryland probably scores in the high 20s. Thought he would have to have a good game and he was pretty fearless today. 18 saves says it all.

Midfielders - nice to see the offense score so many unassisted goals as that had been a big question mark of the unit. Kudos to the coaches for not panicking and rolling out the first unit each time, given that possessions were in such short supply. They did this last year with pretty bad results, and each member of the second unit scored a goal today.

Overall if you had told me SU will lose to the defending champs by just three, I would be happy most times. But this game felt much different than just a three goal loss. Maryland were good, they had some really nice ball movement and they have some serious shooters. That said, it feels like SU has some pretty serious issues, at the face-off x and at the short stick d-middie spot. Not sure what there is to be done at the face-off x. Richiusa needs to show a little more fight and not give up free possesions so easily. Need to have someone in there who can counter if they don't win the initial clamp. Good news for the shorties is Aviles comes back soon, but again it feels like this unit will once again hold the team back.

if you just look at the stats (shots,GBS,FO,EM etc) it's hard to believe it was only 3 goals

Also think on D they also stayed off their guy to much make maryland have easy passes thrown and catches while also giving them few steps before our guy engaged making it easier to fake out guys.

Have noticed this too. It's like they played a little bit scared. But by not providing pressure they are letting Maryland dictate too much. Against a team like that, that has only so many "speed" guys, I feel like you have to press out and make them uncomfortable. SU defense still seems unsure of itself.

couldn’t agree more. Don’t know if that was game plan thinking if doing so get beat to much or over play i don’t know but def let maryland make what game their o wanted to play by that. Still young defense so maby played little timid but think showed some nice stances at times. The two man game at beginning tho they were killing us on that both guys going on one leaving other open for shot or fast pass other way for shot. Didn’t seem like talking enough or our guys giving enough space to stay with guy or to switch. A very young team whole diff defense pretty much as in playing together. But was first real hard test they faced and knew maryland was gonna come out after losing. Hopefully next few games get back to playing physical and on hands making every pass and catch contested.

Could not watch today. Will have to wait for some good samaritan to put it up on the ol youtube. From Mr. Powelfan's report it sounds like ssdm unit without Aviles went about as expected. Its a tall order with the high amount of possessions though, and Aviles is our best guy. The one guy in the unit who is really big and strong. Its a weakness, but it improves a lot when he returns.

Again will have to wait to actually watch the darn thing, but it was a tall order today and we did not fold which is good to see. Hopefully a lot learned from this one. Keep fighting lads

will mark is def legit. I am curious see if drop us out of polls think we shouldn’t since brown ranked lost to Quinnipiac and harvard getting smoked by uva right now. Realistically think cuse should stay where they are with few rank teams losing as did rutgers lose to army. Think cuse despite faceoffs and some as someone stated very fixable mistakes showed they are young but very talented team. Believe back home for hopefully a win vs unc.

Just got home. (well a little while ago).

I cannot talk lax x and o's like you guys, but a few takeaways:

-UMD was completely unprepared for Orange Nation. Limited concessions, only working toilets on the shady side of the field when everyone sat in the sun. Bathrooms out of paper towels super quick.

-First three goals by UMD felt like a drive by shooting.

-Brutal, brutal unforced turnover at about two minutes or so to go in the first half. Instead of down one or two at half ended down four.

-Faceoffs have been addressed, no good.

Joey was shut down minus that ridiculous goal. Didn't hear Finn's name at all (addressed in the thread)

-Maryland was good on their rides, screwed up a couple of our clears.

Considering that was the best team a lot of our kids ever played against, not terrible, room to grow. Wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Thanks all for the writeups. I couldn't pay the Big10 today. Wasn't going to happen.

Team would’ve lost by 20 last year. To only lose by 3 at Maryland with such a young team making (correctable) mistakes. The future is bright.
100% spot on! 3 goal loss at MD... This is good O and is going to be filthy soon!

Could not watch today. Will have to wait for some good samaritan to put it up on the ol youtube. From Mr. Powelfan's report it sounds like ssdm unit without Aviles went about as expected. Its a tall order with the high amount of possessions though, and Aviles is our best guy. The one guy in the unit who is really big and strong. Its a weakness, but it improves a lot when he returns.

Again will have to wait to actually watch the darn thing, but it was a tall order today and we did not fold which is good to see. Hopefully a lot learned from this one. Keep fighting lads

I was at the game and can't agree at all about the short sticks. The d was out there all game and they held there own. Can't expect them not to get beat once in a while even Aviles does. Team played tough the possessions and penalties hurt them.

I was at the game and can't agree at all about the short sticks. The d was out there all game and they held there own. Can't expect them not to get beat once in a while even Aviles does. Team played tough the possessions and penalties hurt them.
I wasn’t there, but I agree.

I also made the trek over to SECU (née Byrd Stadium). Quite cold in the shade and windy. Tough day for first game outside of the cozy confines of the Dome.

Outcome from a score perspective was about as expected, but it was a bit of a wild game. Honestly could have been 10-0 early without Mark‘s heroics. Clearly the Terps game plan was to pick on the SSDMS and they did that repeatedly and successfully, especially in the first half.

Toughest part is that this game could’ve been within reach if not for a few real bad stretches of play (Early 1st Q, end second Q, mid-4th). Effort was there til the end, Maryland just executes too well and makes you pay for most mistakes. Far too many bad turnovers at key times and some bad penalties, especially attackmen. I also don’t know how MD does it but every time I watch them they manage to get 3-4 breaks through the substitution game. Very impressive.

Much of this has been mentioned already, but some of my other notes from the game.

• Faceoffs - YIkes. Not surprising, but bad news. And I don’t believe Gibbs got a draw until the 4th quarter. MD did a great job pressuring Richiusa when he actually got the ball.
  • Jerseys - No more blue. Ever. Liked the Syracuse script on the front though.
  • Offense - Expected a tough day for Joey with either Makar or Ajax and he was forcing things early. Didn‘t do much other than that ridiculous backhand goal. Simmons had a brutal game. Been a bit surprised and disappointed with the slow start to the season with Simmons and Hiltz to some extent.
  • Defense - Mark was really fantastic outside of the early first quarter blitzkrieg. I thought SSDMS settled down some late in the first half and second half but they were picked on big time early. Murphy had some great moments both on D and in transition. Not sure I’ve seen more caused turnovers from a SSDM than he’s shown already this year. Dwan came in for Clary in the second half, not sure what that was about. Didn’t seem to be an injury because Clary came back in at points in the 4th quarter.
Great learning experience for this young team. Tough first road game. Several question marks still but lots to like. LGO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom