Maryland Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

It is more than obvious that you are fond of the former LIU players. So much so that I would suspect that you are either one of them or their siblings/family members. It's all good, we appreciate a lot of the info.

That being said, DMID play was brutal yesterday. On ball, on the wings, everything.

DMID is IMHO the hardest position to play on the field. With how athletic players are now and with stick technology, its a near impossible task.

Side note: I was not impressed at all with Teddy Dolan. Maryland could in big trouble this year with him in cage.
They may be going to the freshman at some point. He was supposed to redshirt but sounds like plans have changed.

They may be going to the freshman at some point. He was supposed to redshirt but sounds like plans have changed.

Going to him would make a lot of sense. Seasons only 4 games in and its clear we need a second guy to go to when Richusa is struggling.

Going to him would make a lot of sense. Seasons only 4 games in and its clear we need a second guy to go to when Richusa is struggling.

Could have missed something but I think DMV was referring to Maryland’s goalie situation.

Could have missed something but I think DMV was referring to Maryland’s goalie situation.

Lol your right, i was scanning the threads quickly and got that post confused with another about the faceoff situation. Thought he was talking about burning Gibbs redshirt against Maryland.

Lol your right, i was scanning the threads quickly and got that post confused with another about the faceoff situation. Thought he was talking about burning Gibbs redshirt against Maryland.
Your still right about Gibbs tho.. cant have one guy doing all the FOs all year

Last edited:
I rewatched the game. Trujillo isn't ready to play yet we need Aviles back. Murphy and Rice were fine. Asking a freshman SSDM to play agajnst Maryland is a lot so not blaming Trujillo but we need Aviles back next week. I thought Murphy played well he got beat by Owen Murphy for a goal but that was it he hung tough and Rice got beat twice but again all shortys get beat. Trujillo wasn't even close and these next few weeks will be tough on him so hopefully Aviles is back.
I haven't watched the MD game yet, but I did watch UVA - Harvard. They attacked each other's ssdms. All of them were smoked at least once or twice. Watched Loyola - HOP. Loyola's ssdms stood up very well I think because their longs hedged beautifully. Attacking ssdms is the goto strategy for everyone. Unless the longs hedge well they all have been beaten. Defensive integrity is systemic.

I haven't watched the MD game yet, but I did watch UVA - Harvard. They attacked each other's ssdms. All of them were smoked at least once or twice. Watched Loyola - HOP. Loyola's ssdms stood up very well I think because their longs hedged beautifully. Attacking ssdms is the goto strategy for everyone. Unless the longs hedge well they all have been beaten. Defensive integrity is systemic.

I agree 100% every team attacks the short sticks so they will get beat sometimes. One of the toughest jobs on the field. Need them to hang tough which I felt like they did in the 2nd half vs MD.

Gibbs is not an ACC athlete. He runs weird.

I am not sure Wierman is exactly Baptiste out there but he's probably the best FOGO or top 3 in the country. Not saying Gibbs should be given a time share with Richusa but when Richusa is losing clean with little resistance is giving Gibbs 2 or 3 draws to see what he can do that big of a deal? Would be nice if one of the lax reporters could actually ask about this at this weeks PC.

Last edited:
The one draw gibbs actually took he did win clamp n pop it forward but stumbled on ground ball then got checked n lost ball but he won the clamp n that was it never took another all game which thought i’d he was least able to clamp it n get it out least better then what was happing. Also the few FOs that were even scrums maryland came up with it we missed a lot of first time groundballs. Also notice with phaup also last year if won n got in trouble quickly looked to pass instead of just running to space. Johnny def fast then phaup was phaup wasn’t fast so would been difficult. Seems like our fogos arnt very confident with ball in stick as a naso or even petey lasalla(straight beast) feel that should be practiced little bit more their stick work or protectin or even just running to open space. I feel a very big part of lost besides FOs n penalties of course was defense was not aggressive as first 3 games mean murphy had that one take away but didn’t see him throw that check much where first couple games he was a lot. Also stated before the defense played off maryland way to much letting them catch and pass with ease no worries of someone checking their hands. Which also allowed maryland to fake guys out easily cause had more then few steps before was engaged and seem our guys were guessing instead of playing body while stick swinging a lot instead of body. Just didn’t see the physicalness that they showed first few weeks. Yes better team this team but def need to be aggressive against that team as you let maryland do what they want to they will do exactly what they did.

Very young team and still growing and learning and think this can be bright season maby not final four but think if fix the fixable mistakes made should def be tournament team.

I am not sure Wierman is exactly Baptiste out there but he's probably the best FOGO or top 3 in the country. Not saying Gibbs should be given a time share with Richusa but when Richusa is losing clean with little resistance if giving Gibbs 2 or 3 draws to see what he can do that big of a deal? Would be nice if one of the lax reporters could actually ask about this at this weeks PC?
He very well may win a lot of clamps against anyone in the country, but he will get demolished by the wings. He can’t run.

If they limited some of passing turnovers and won few more faceoffs and not so many penalties think they could of won. The olexo one was stupid guy didn’t have ball n back was clearly to him seem emotions got him there. Overall they kept battling O scored with most of their chances. I don’t get why ride one faceoff guy even tho getting beat cleanly. I thought at one point at end threw someone else in there n he won clamp n pushed it out but we lost ball wasn’t johnny. Could been seeing thing hard to tell numbers with that camera angle n how high. Either way defense settled in a bit had some nice moments but also left guys wide open by ball watching and not talking enough. Think this team can really do some damage tho if get rid of some of rookie mistakes. Maryland is still prob one of top teams even if lost to loyola who just beat hopkins so maby they are good. But without doubt have to win least two of these next three games. Curious if they drop us out of ranks tho as seen a lot of cuse haters out there after last year for polls. Also think offense got away to much from what they really good at which is passing and moving ball which prob was to avoid makar and ajax but think was a lot more iso and man on man dodging which did score. Didn’t think would win this game but really hoped they made a game of it and they did they kept battling just dumb mistakes run by emotions. To much stick swinging no body and defense didn’t seem as physical as first couple weeks. Also think on D they also stayed off their guy to much make maryland have easy passes thrown and catches while also giving them few steps before our guy engaged making it easier to fake out guys. Sadden by lost but think season can be bright.
I believe your right on Faceoffs. For three games up in the stands I have screamed for him to use another faceoff man. Just for experience only . He was winning big in two of the games. My friends around me agreed but told me to shut up as I was harping on it all the time.
So you get beat 24-7 on faceoffs. . Plus you put your wings in a defensive position according to the radio announcer. So you decided to give up on faceoffs before the game started.
Why why why would you not put another one in to faceoff? Would he have won. Probably not. But maybe just maybe he might. Would he have gained experience? Yes. It's a win win situation to put in another guy. Put Gary Gait who I love. Refuses. He made the guy last year take ever faceoff except some at the last of the first game. By the way in won one and scored. So he transferred this year because he wasn't used. Someone please explain to me not using another faceoff guy once in awhile. Its a coaching flaw not to adjust to certain situations. This one is a huge Gait flaw. Would they have won the game? Probably not. The offense can score on anyone but they need the ball.

He very well may win a lot of clamps against anyone in the country, but he will get demolished by the wings. He can’t run.
I totally agree. Nothing lost trying someone else a couple of times.
Got a couple of great players coming next year from the portal but still need a strong guy at the X. Hopefully the coaches can snag one.
How do you know one of these can"t be the one. Never seen any of the others . Except the one that won two out of four in Holy Cross game .While other guy was beaten alot in the same game. Try someone else. Don't have to change if you don't want but try different things Practice is not game situation. Try

Finally someone was gracious enough to share the game. The youtube crew does the lords work sometimes. Watch it now if you can because who knows how long it will be up. Just some thoughts on the D since that what I was looking at seemingly 95% of the game.

-The D got punched in the mouth early but I thought it looked really solid for most of the second half in 6 on 6. The one true rough patch was the tail end of the 2nd quarter where they both had the ball the whole time and were running Murphy and Long out of the box. For some reason during that stretch and even some times in the 1st quarter we were seemingly not putting a long stick on Murphy by choice. Not 100% positive it was intentional, but if it was then that is a serious head scratcher choice. Burned us a bunch in the second quarter dodging against a short stick. No idea why we would allow that. He is their best offensive player. To me thats obvious even if he struggled against Loyola.

-Thought ssdm play was actually solid on everyone outside of Murphy and Long. Second half we tightened the screws and also made sure to put the pole on Murphy. Liked the improvement from the D in 6 on 6, even when MD had so many opportunities. Saw how MD could be beatable if you contain the main dodging threats properly and not be so quick to slide. D got better from the challenge and it will help them going forward.

-Only other serious problem was man down. Yes MD has a good unit/scheme but they were getting looks almost instantly. It was rough from start to finish. If not for Mark they would have scored on nearly every opportunity. Simply has to be better. Guys fighting over who is supposed to be where after the other team scores in two seconds is not a good look. It happened last year too.

Overall I liked a lot of what I saw from the D given the barrage of possessions they had to face. Second half settled D was legitimately encouraging at times. That score could have been a lot uglier though if not for Will Mark. We needed him out there.

Please, please, please a reporter ask Gait why not try someone else just once or twice. I just don't get it. Would love an explanation.

Wing play was for the most part atrocious on Saturday and that was with Richusa so I don't know how that could get worse.

I am unsure what you mean by "he can't run". He's a D1 FOGO on a partial scholarship who had pretty good #s in high school. Do you mean he's not athletic and will struggle if he wins the draw and has to run around with it? That's an area SU needs to work on overall as Richusa I think on 3 occasions actually won the faceoff and then proceeded to absolutely panic and throw the ball away.

Not sure there’s another option. I think I’d ding the staff more for Richiusa being the guy they brought in. He will compete but likely get owned in similar fashion but LaSalla, Naso, etc.
How do you know there isn't another option if no one else is tried. Even if that other guy gets beat what do you lose trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom