Maryland Gameday... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

The review should have served as the TO as they used their one OT TO to set up the Leo dive.
I just went back & looked at the end. You are correct, we had used our TO already. But as Carc said we didn't have all our right people out there. We weren't ready. Rice was coming in trailing the play and acting like Md was going to throw the ball around. Did Gary do any coaching/preparing while the officials were reviewing the play or only lobbying them? Does Gary do any in game coaching? Does Gary coach? It seemed the Syracuse coaching staff was outcoached by the Md staff most of the game.

Mark got better as game continued
he did make some big saves as game went on but was under 50%. He has to be least 50% every game. Some of their goals he had no shot as was door step pass goal. But the koras bounce was weak n slow he didn’t step to it. The spanos goal at end he dove from back of net n beat him far lost which can’t happen. Also on the one think erska goal where he dove mark was low to ground n got beat high if just stood tall not dropping prob makes that save. He seems to be guessing at times not reacting. He had 9 saves which is really what’s he’s been avg so far this season think only hit double digit saves once.

I just went back & looked at the end. You are correct, we had used our TO already. But as Carc said we didn't have all our right people out there. We weren't ready. Rice was coming in trailing the play and acting like Md was going to throw the ball around. Did Gary do any coaching/preparing while the officials were reviewing the play or only lobbying them? Does Gary do any in game coaching? Does Gary coach? It seemed the Syracuse coaching staff was outcoached by the Md staff most of the game.
Too busy complaining about the call, being incredulous, etc. Definitely were outcoached in that particular moment. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Honestly, it's on the DC to own this failure. After being so brilliant w the zone D on the series before, it's quite the breakdown.

Nothing to feel good about this weekend.

Last edited:
No disagreement there. It’s as if we were surprised they restarted the game. It was far too easy.

Too busy complaining about the call, being incredulous, etc. Definitely were outcoached in that particular moment. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Honestly, it's on the DC to own this failure. After being so brilliant w the zone D on the series before, it's quite the breakdown.

Nothing to feel good about this weekend.
im sorry you feel this way I witnessed two amazing lacrosse games inside the Dome yesterday with an awesome crowd and atmosphere. The results weren’t what I wanted but in the end the lacrosse was spectacular and the creator was happy

im sorry you feel this way I witnessed two amazing lacrosse games inside the Dome yesterday with an awesome crowd and atmosphere. The results weren’t what I wanted but in the end the lacrosse was spectacular and the creator was happy

I think he was referring more to the end result. Obviously the game itself there were several positive developments and clearly the team showed it's ranked where it should be.

The creator was definitely happy. I can agree on that.

Of course, you and I know, the creator has absolutely no concern whether SU makes it to the final 4 or not, or really who wins, or anything about victories.

I hear you, but not into the moral victory at the moment.

Understood. Believe me I wanted this and to have the guy who won it drives me nuts

But the upside is the process is working and hopefully we get another shot at them.

We have a top 5 program. That’s not nothing.

Huge leap from last years game
Not sure we are a top five program again. Haven’t made the tourney in consecutive years and we are in a stacked ACC where are are on the bottom-end of a great conference. But damn are we getting close.

I think he was referring more to the end result. Obviously the game itself there were several positive developments and clearly the team showed it's ranked where it should be.
There is zero progress in a teams comfort zone this team will learn 10000x from last night then their first 3 games. How many future recruits saw last nights game on TV and said wow that looks like an amazing place to play good times are coming

Ref's can't review the push, all they can review is whether or not he entered the crease.
What's the point of a review then? Ridiculous. The rule's bad and that review limitation makes it even worse. Hopefully they change it.

Yeah and at some point these 30 year olds at Virginia ND Duke will be gone.

Conference flips a bit next year, don't get me wrong UVa has a ton of young talent and ND and Duke aren't exactly hurting either but all have major graduation losses. Shellenberger, Cormier, Kastner, their goalie and others are gone, Duke loses O'Neil, Dyson, Naso, Multiple defenders, Zawada and others, ND loses Pat Kavanaugh, Taylor, Conlin, Entenmann, Multiple middies etc.

Conference flips a bit next year, don't get me wrong UVa has a ton of young talent and ND and Duke aren't exactly hurting either but all have major graduation losses. Shellenberger, Cormier, Kastner, their goalie and others are gone, Duke loses O'Neil, Dyson, Naso, Multiple defenders, Zawada and others, ND loses Pat Kavanaugh, Taylor, Conlin, Entenmann, Multiple middies etc.

Meanwhile we will have a bunch of dudes entering their third year that are very battle tested

The poor play extended well into the 2Q too. SU led 2-1 in the beginning and then didn't score their next goal for some 20 minutes or so later once they got the 2 minute full time penalty by MD late in the 2Q. We got two goals there to close to 5-4 at the half.
Goal #3 was on the play that led to the second 2-minute penalty. So only 1 goal during the penalty.

The complete melt-down during the first non-releasable was a killer.

He hit the goalmouth, the call was correct under the rules
Understood. And I get the way it called.

I'm no rules expert, but looked to me like he got pushed.

I'm biased, clearly. But seemed like defense initiated contact before he dove.

It would have been a clear goal in the year they made diving legal but still had no goal mouth. Ball was in the goal before any part of him had touched the crease. Correct call by the current rule unfortunately because they do not care when you go in the goal mouth. It could happen seemingly any time after the shot and the ref has to call it? Not sure about that exactly but that was one twitter persons interpretation.

In any case, not really what cost us the game. As BJred and others have said it was mostly the missed opportunities from the offense, especially in the first quarter. Capitalize on those often wide open opportunities and its ours. Finn Thomson 0-8 shooting with at least 4 of those being wide freaking open. Still cannot believe that happened. Defense did its job against a good but not great offense. Fogo unit did its job against one of the best in the nation.

All we needed was the offense to make the equivalent of layups early in the game. Do that and we are just as back as we ever were without this horrific hate festival and taunting surrounding the goal controversy. Terp fans getting cocky after that victory is hilarious. If Gait is so trash then isn't it embarassing that they needed a miracle to beat him? Its February. We have a good team here. Certain guys on offense have time to get their head out of their asz or be replaced with guys who can actually do the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom