Maryland Gameday... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

Now that I have gone back and watched the overturned goal/Maryland's game winner a bunch, I just keep thinking how brutal of a loss that was. But I guess the good thing is they don't have a long time to sit around and dwell on it. I think we'll see what this team is made of against Utah at least mentally. I'm hoping to see a pissed off team that takes care of business early. I always thought they needed to split with MD/Army so as others have mentioned that feels like a must win now. Maryland is always consistently very good to excellent at times on defense, so not sure if we should be worried how ineffective the attack was last night?

For those of you scoring at home (and I know all of you are...)

Caccamo started, Kol only came off the bench when Caccamo had a cramp.

Titus, Jake Spallina and Levine saw time at SSDM, I didn't notice Kempney.

What's the point of a review then? Ridiculous. The rule's bad and that review limitation makes it even worse. Hopefully they change it.

The current rules allow a review to determine if he's in the crease or not. They can't review how he got there. They can't assess a penalty for pushing after the fact if one wasn't originally called.

It would be like the NFL reviewing a play to determine if a DB had an interception or not, while ignoring the blatant PI the DB committed in the first place.

Now that I have gone back and watched the overturned goal/Maryland's game winner a bunch, I just keep thinking how brutal of a loss that was. But I guess the good thing is they don't have a long time to sit around and dwell on it. I think we'll see what this team is made of against Utah at least mentally. I'm hoping to see a pissed off team that takes care of business early. I always thought they needed to split with MD/Army so as others have mentioned that feels like a must win now. Maryland is always consistently very good to excellent at times on defense, so not sure if we should be worried how ineffective the attack was last night?

I have major concerns about the attack beyond Joey. Mule was close to non existent last night. If he can't dodge were in major trouble. Team misses Kirst immensely. Anderson coming in next year seems like a near lock to play attack SU needs a second dodger desperately.

I have major concerns about the attack beyond Joey. Mule was close to non existent last night. If he can't dodge were in major trouble. Team misses Kirst immensely. Anderson coming in next year seems like a near lock to play attack SU needs a second dodger desperately.
Thought the same. If teams aren’t going to slide, Hiltz becomes a non factor. Mike wasn’t impressive, but he scored a huge goal. Wonder if moving Leo to attack makes any sense?

Thought the same. If teams aren’t going to slide, Hiltz becomes a non factor. Mike wasn’t impressive, but he scored a huge goal. Wonder if moving Leo to attack makes any sense?

Assuming u mean Mule wasn't impressive. Mike had a great game and he played attack in HS. So in theory yes he could be moved, however, he's an enormous part of the 1st midline with English playing so/so and Thomson in a horrific funk. Can't see moving him at this point, would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Elijah-Brown isn't redshirting and I highly doubt he would have had success yesterday but would like to see him get a few runs for Mule, see what he can do with the 1s.

Hiltz is a great player but hes not a dodger, just isn't a part of his game. Need him to be more effective seemed to get it going late but need more from him.

With Mule and Hiltz they only had 4 shots total. We were not exactly pressing their matchups. I would be more concerned if we tried and failed a lot with them, but we were getting so many looks dodging against their short sticks so we kept forcing the issue there and with spallina. Spallina I thought did pretty well and could have easily had a couple more apples with better finishing. Did not mind that we kept trying that match up. It often drew slides.

No disagreement there. It’s as if we were surprised they restarted the game. It was far too easy.
Of course I'm disappointed we lost. But I'm ticked off how we lost. No, not the disallowed goal; that appeared to be the right call under the rules. But we lost on a play we appeared to not be ready for because the coaching staff appeared to not have their attention on the NEXT play, but still on the LAST play. That's letting down the players, who played their hearts out. In other words: bordering on incompetence. At least on that play. Also, if noticed, that does not help recruiting.

Didn't see the game yesterday but as pointed out before Thomson is shooting 10% on the year 2/21. But good to see SU is a top ten team now :)

Of course I'm disappointed we lost. But I'm ticked off how we lost. No, not the disallowed goal; that appeared to be the right call under the rules. But we lost on a play we appeared to not be ready for because the coaching staff appeared to not have their attention on the NEXT play, but still on the LAST play. That's letting down the players, who played their hearts out. In other words: bordering on incompetence. At least on that play. Also, if noticed, that does not help recruiting.
Why are we saying we were unprepared there? I think someone just lost their man. Why is it always the coaches? It was a dead ball for an eternity it’s not like everyone was scrambling around looking confused. Someone lost their man

Why are we saying we were unprepared there? I think someone just lost their man. Why is it always the coaches? It was a dead ball for an eternity it’s not like everyone was scrambling around looking confused. Someone lost their man
I'll go back and look at it again, but it looked like Rice came onto the field late, maybe through the box. If so, why wasn't he already there when play started back up. We should have gotten a break by the stoppage for the review and the officials restarting play back by our goal inside of where Md was when they blew the whistle. But it appeared we still weren't ready. Carc even said that.

I'll go back and look at it again, but it looked like Rice came onto the field late, maybe through the box. If so, why wasn't he already there when play started back up. We should have gotten a break by the stoppage for the review and the officials restarting play back by our goal inside of where Md was when they blew the whistle. But it appeared we still weren't ready. Carc even said that.
Beside, any chance Gary would admit he made a mistake?

There is no way we were still making substitutions as the play began. The dead ball even after it was confirmed no goal was an extremely long time. Someone clearly screwed up but it’s not like we were still in the officials ear instead of preparing for the clear. It was a long as hell dead ball

Jeremy I know it's early but do you think they ever consider putting Leo down at attack since that's he natural position? I'm sure they love having him getting a short stick match-up right now (although that coud change going forward), but it feels like he is someone who could beat his man consistently.

Jumping to Gait is silly to me. We had everything we needed to win this game. One blown assignment by a player on a clear does not mean he suddenly sucks. We had already moved on to the next play before they blew the whistle to review. I thought we made good decisions with personnel throughout. I don’t mind leaving Thomson in to attempt and work through it, but was glad to see they put Rhoa in his place on the final offensive possession. I liked the look with zone when md came out of the timeout with a low shot clock. We lost a heartbreaker to a good team.

Assuming u mean Mule wasn't impressive. Mike had a great game and he played attack in HS. So in theory yes he could be moved, however, he's an enormous part of the 1st midline with English playing so/so and Thomson in a horrific funk. Can't see moving him at this point, would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Elijah-Brown isn't redshirting and I highly doubt he would have had success yesterday but would like to see him get a few runs for Mule, see what he can do with the 1s.

Hiltz is a great player but hes not a dodger, just isn't a part of his game. Need him to be more effective seemed to get it going late but need more from him.
Correct meant Mule. I hear you on moving Leo, but ultimately I think he is a top 3 offensive player for this team. He has attack skills, I think you consider the move against Utah for a quarter or two and see how it works. Utes came into the year with some expectations but that seems like a game Cuse should win comfortably. Would be nice to experiment a bit before Army.

rice wasn't late coming on the field...he was there protecting the substitution box side. but maryland cleared it up the other side so he was just out of the play, and they left the middle of the field wide open. it was just a bungled ride. not sure how it happened exactly. the spacing was all jacked

I would love to see Elijah Brown get some run, he doesn't have Finns athleticism but from watching his OCC tape and the two shots he had this year he has a different style shot that might help us... Just a thought lol

Correct meant Mule. I hear you on moving Leo, but ultimately I think he is a top 3 offensive player for this team. He has attack skills, I think you consider the move against Utah for a quarter or two and see how it works. Utes came into the year with some expectations but that seems like a game Cuse should win comfortably. Would be nice to experiment a bit before Army.

I dont disagree on Leo but keep in mind he's drawing a shorty almost 100% of the time. You move him to attack hes now drawing each teams #2 close defender, enormous difference. Your also really weakening the 1st midline with Thomsons immense struggles and English still finding himself. You could bump Birtwistle to the 1st line but Mule isn't really an option at midfield.

To me the better idea would be to run Birtwistle or Elijah-Brown at attack with Joey and Hiltz and see what happens.

Didn't see the game yesterday but as pointed out before Thomson is shooting 10% on the year 2/21. But good to see SU is a top ten team now :)
Thomson's numbers have been horrible for a player with his skills. I would expect the coaches to give him another crack at it against Utah. If there is any pattern here, his box game may not translate well to field or he's jut having difficulty adjusting to the bright lights of D1 lacrosse. Great players do have slumps but he hasn't proven himself at this level yet so hard to know how much slack to give him.

Jeremy I know it's early but do you think they ever consider putting Leo down at attack since that's he natural position? I'm sure they love having him getting a short stick match-up right now (although that coud change going forward), but it feels like he is someone who could beat his man consistently.

Hey, ya on Leo its a tough call because the second you bump him the 1st mid line is weakened and now he's drawing a #2 pole. You also have to now run Mule at midfield which seems like it would end very badly. Your point about him drawing a poll at middie sooner rather then later is a good one but teams will be hesitant because then your freeing up English and Thomson with shorties which creates a whole other set of problems.

SU does need someone else drawing a pole at mid or attack who can beat their man. Now who that is or if SU has said player is open for debate. I keep coming back to it but to mean the answer lies with Birtwistle. He's a converted attackmen we know can fill it up. Think he has to be option 1 at either attack or 1st midline. I'd be curious to see how Elijah-Brown does if given a few runs with the 1s. Enormous jump from OOC but when u put up those stats your a player.

rice wasn't late coming on the field...he was there protecting the substitution box side. but maryland cleared it up the other side so he was just out of the play, and they left the middle of the field wide open. it was just a bungled ride. not sure how it happened exactly. the spacing was all jacked
This.

Disappointing that the coaching staff didn’t tell the middies to just pack it in on the ride to eliminate a fast break or unsettled situation off the clear.

I liked Odierna’s zone D call late in the fourth out of a TO. Thought he might’ve done the same if the call was upheld by review.

Jumping to Gait is silly to me.
I assume it’s everywhere, but my experience here is that poster’s are far too hard on coaches.

Some of these kids have been in the program three or more years and still exercise little situational awareness. Thomson blowing a 2 minute unreleasable. Olexxo getting back doored twice. Etc.

I played a sport in college. There was very little in game coaching. We had game plans and were expected to execute. Eventually the kids need to make some winning plays.

I think the good news is that faceoffs look good, ssdm is better than anticipated (Rice was really good yesterday except for a couple mental errors) and the kids are playing really hard.

Rather than say top five, I’d say we seem squarely in the second tier right now. (Duke, ND, UVA are tier) Last year we were third tier. Progress is being made. Maryland, JHU, Army, Cornell are second tier and UNC and Delaware are third. Winning the majority of those games makes the season.

to be fair mule really didn’t try to dodge much from what i saw. Few times he went to start with ball joey ran over or called for it right away. I agree with using joey like we did i thought he had to play as feeder / decoy kinda way which would free up other guys. But also guys didn’t look in sync like normal like they all wanted to feed no one looking for ball to shoot. Hiltz few times running cross top thought had chance to shoot but didn’t. Also we had 40 shots compared to maryland 20 or something. So clearly we were getting chances yes i’d say least 10-15 tops of those were not great shots but still more then maryland if just buried our shots we win def. Thompson needs to forget this game and show up next two games. He never changed levels or plains just kept shooting high to high or low to low right into goalies stick. I’d like for them to see how mule can do qb at times also but seem wanted joey to handle it mostly. Very impressed by defense mean maryland had to make some pretty back door passes for goals. Also mark as good as he is has to stop outside or low angle shots. He needs to stop dropping low even dudes stick isn’t even low he’s giving them up high n their getting it. Also would like to use both our fogos more saving them from some ware and tare. But sad bout loss but as said i just wanted us to compete all game and we did which is huge step forward from last year. Now next step is finishing n winning the close games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom