Mass Hysteria | Syracusefan.com

Mass Hysteria

RICuse44

Starter
Cats and dogs aren't living together. The sun came up today. Some facts I would like to point out from yesterday.

1. #97 is really, really good. There is a reason he is a finalist for virtually every defensive award. He was the one man wrecking crew that shut down our run game yesterday. Hard to get Rome going when he was tackled by Donald the second he got the hand off. Their D coordinator also did a nice job of moving him around on third down- he frequently lined up over Lasker with predictable results. Why we didn't do designed roll outs away from him is beyond me. I love Jay and think he is a great player but Donald was simply awesome.

2. Savage took some shots but still made plays down the stretch. He is a senior QB who has significant in game experience. I don't think the importance of this can be understated. Add to the fact that he seems to have better receiving playmakers around him either by scheme or by talent (although I think everyone here would agree we don't have someone in the receiving corps as good as even someone like Gardner who had 2 big plays- the TD and the block on Dyshawn.

3. Hunt threw some nice balls. 5 deep balls gave receivers the opportunity to make plays and AC2 was the only one to make a play. There were also 2 throws to Wales that were on target that Beckett did a nice job with. He is a redshirt sophomore who comes from the football powerhouse Christ the King. He ran the scout team until this year. The number of first team reps he has had against quality competition is probably similar to a true freshman QB who came from a football factory high school. And I am tired of hearing how Broyld would be a better option. Everyone has seen our attempts at letting him throw the ball this year, correct? This year he is our best option. He appears to have improved. I think he will continue to improve. He looks like a redshirt sophomore QB from New York State who has a good amount of athleticism.

4. The offensive staff at least tried something different. Putting Esk out to beat press coverage shows of glimmer of willingness to think slightly outside the box. I also liked the wheel pattern to McFarlane. I think they have miles to go in terms of scheme design- many have mentioned the island of dr. moreau approach of these hideous offensive hybrids- I formation, then spread but no clear rhythm of common theme to playcalling. I would like to see the elimination of the wildcat. I would like to see MORE downfield shots. And I would like to see the development of an intermediate passing game. Maybe its there but just doesn't look like it because of the players on the field. I would be more inclined to think that its 50-50 or 60-40 though.

5. BC is our next opponent. Not Clemson. Not FSU. Granted they played FSU close but they also played New Mexico close. We win and we go bowling. We have a lot to play for in this one. We have some seniors who no doubt want to leave on a good note. We have a coach who has made some adjustments throughout the season that have helped this team. Head coaching wise I think we are in a similar position as when Marrone was here. How many points did we score again in Marrones first three years when we had an inexperienced QB, OC, and issues with wideouts?

Good post, I don't understand why people every week are shocked that our offense isn't good. It's going to suck until we get some better players it's going to suck worse when you lose your best o lineman. I actually like GMC cluster play calling our offense isn't capable of lining up and beating anyone. He can start ok but once adjustments are made he's kind of lost. GMC can recruit, will be fine.

We lost a game by 1 point to a per program, don't see the big deal, I just don't.

Cats and dogs aren't living together. The sun came up today. Some facts I would like to point out from yesterday.

1. #97 is really, really good. There is a reason he is a finalist for virtually every defensive award. He was the one man wrecking crew that shut down our run game yesterday. Hard to get Rome going when he was tackled by Donald the second he got the hand off. Their D coordinator also did a nice job of moving him around on third down- he frequently lined up over Lasker with predictable results. Why we didn't do designed roll outs away from him is beyond me. I love Jay and think he is a great player but Donald was simply awesome.

2. Savage took some shots but still made plays down the stretch. He is a senior QB who has significant in game experience. I don't think the importance of this can be understated. Add to the fact that he seems to have better receiving playmakers around him either by scheme or by talent (although I think everyone here would agree we don't have someone in the receiving corps as good as even someone like Gardner who had 2 big plays- the TD and the block on Dyshawn.

3. Hunt threw some nice balls. 5 deep balls gave receivers the opportunity to make plays and AC2 was the only one to make a play. There were also 2 throws to Wales that were on target that Beckett did a nice job with. He is a redshirt sophomore who comes from the football powerhouse Christ the King. He ran the scout team until this year. The number of first team reps he has had against quality competition is probably similar to a true freshman QB who came from a football factory high school. And I am tired of hearing how Broyld would be a better option. Everyone has seen our attempts at letting him throw the ball this year, correct? This year he is our best option. He appears to have improved. I think he will continue to improve. He looks like a redshirt sophomore QB from New York State who has a good amount of athleticism.

4. The offensive staff at least tried something different. Putting Esk out to beat press coverage shows of glimmer of willingness to think slightly outside the box. I also liked the wheel pattern to McFarlane. I think they have miles to go in terms of scheme design- many have mentioned the island of dr. moreau approach of these hideous offensive hybrids- I formation, then spread but no clear rhythm of common theme to playcalling. I would like to see the elimination of the wildcat. I would like to see MORE downfield shots. And I would like to see the development of an intermediate passing game. Maybe its there but just doesn't look like it because of the players on the field. I would be more inclined to think that its 50-50 or 60-40 though.

5. BC is our next opponent. Not Clemson. Not FSU. Granted they played FSU close but they also played New Mexico close. We win and we go bowling. We have a lot to play for in this one. We have some seniors who no doubt want to leave on a good note. We have a coach who has made some adjustments throughout the season that have helped this team. Head coaching wise I think we are in a similar position as when Marrone was here. How many points did we score again in Marrones first three years when we had an inexperienced QB, OC, and issues with wideouts?

I thought this the moment Ashton fell down running the wildcat in the 4th: Next stop LB/S.

I thought this the moment Ashton fell down running the wildcat in the 4th: Next stop LB/S.

Can not agree with you more on this one. FSU had athletes like ab on their team. They were playing linebacker and rush end. The contact part is the issue though.

Good post, I don't understand why people every week are shocked that our offense isn't good. It's going to suck until we get some better players it's going to suck worse when you lose your best o lineman. I actually like GMC cluster play calling our offense isn't capable of lining up and beating anyone. He can start ok but once adjustments are made he's kind of lost. GMC can recruit, will be fine.

We lost a game by 1 point to a per program, don't see the big deal, I just don't.

The two major points from a fan's perspective are #1 - there were a lot of bad mistakes that cost us that game - anyone of them being fixed would have led to a win - from catching the ball in the endzone on 3 shots, playcalling, blocking, penalties etc

#2 it's tough to watch this team and be proud of this team when the offense is completely incompetent.

im going to throw in #3 to help you out - Were football fans. we get upset when our team loses . . . maybe thats not apparent to you

Broyld has to be the most over hyped underperforming player I can remember. He might be an athlete, but he's not a football player. He can't play. He hasn't come close to the end zone all year. I'm done talking about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom