Matt Carlino | Syracusefan.com

Matt Carlino

33% from 3 against sub-ACC competition. Does he play point? Does it matter?

Would be shocked if SU moved on this guy.

Just saw the same story. This would be the most intriguing name/player I have seen so far.

i always liked this kids game. he had some huge games his Freshman year. he isn't just a shooter. he is a playmaker averaging a little over 4 assists a game each of his first 3 seasons. i was looking at a list of all the eligibile grad transfers and none stuck out at all then I saw Carlino today. He would be my first choice, the kid isn't just a shooter, he can make plays for himself off the dribble, as well as setting others up.

If he'd be willing to come here as a backup to Joseph (contingency plan in case Joseph doesn't work out as well as Ennis) then I think he'd be a great get.

BYU's in my backyard.

This would be an ideal 5th year pick up to bolster the backcourt. He's talented enough to start and plays like an idiot some times. Still, he can score and hit threes and he's solid handling the ball and distributing. Not a great defender but he's pretty good getting steals, which works in the zone. He came to BYU hoping to be the next Jimmer and he didn't happen. Honestly, even though he can be a "No! No! YES!" player he would do a TON of stuff we need and is absolutely worth a gamble. He's feast or famine on threes, but if we have two guys like that it can definitely work.

I'll stick with Cooney.
2014 stats-
Carlino; 12.7 ppg, .385 FG%, .330 3 pt%, .689 FT
Cooney: 12.1 ppg, .404 FG%, .375 3 pt%, .841 FT%,
Would be nice to have both. He's a point guard, averaged 4.6, 4.8 and 4.3 assists the last three seasons.
But he can definitely score.

Being a zona native have to wonder if sean miller doesnt put the full court press on this kid. Would see to be the medicine we need for next yr...

We need another PG. We've lucked out the last two years with MCW and Ennis. I know Joseph is supposedly very solid, but still, he's a freshman.

Watched him in the WCC tournament and wasn't impressed at all to be honest. Has a nice shot and is a lefty but is extremely turnover prone and dribbles too dang much when he is the point guard... One of those players who likes to hear himself dribble ... I'll take him tho... Lol can shoot and lord have mercy Syracuse needs that

Would he be ok as a role player?
This is just a total guess, but I think if he was at a high profile program he would be ok coming off the bench as an instant offense player. The guy wants to score. The more I think about him and the situation, yeah, he's flawed, but he's just the kind of player that could really help us.

still dont get it how people think someone like this kid would be a "role" player for us. LOL. Get real. He could potentially start at the 1 or 2 guard, and could certainly backup either...or both.

Watched him in the WCC tournament and wasn't impressed at all to be honest. Has a nice shot and is a lefty but is extremely turnover prone and dribbles too dang much when he is the point guard... One of those players who likes to hear himself dribble ... I'll take him tho... Lol can shoot and lord have mercy Syracuse needs that

You may have caught him on a bad day. He has increased his turnover total each season. He was down to 2 turnovers a game this year. A 2.5:1 T0/Asst ratio is pretty good for an combo guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom