Matt Park | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuseinseattle

All American
To me the saddest part of today was Matt Park on Twitter acting like Boeheim's press secretary. The fact he thought that was necessary really shows where we are or where people on the ground think our fan base is. I'm a pretty positive person and do like some of our young players but I honestly watch every game but don't look forward to them like I used to and don't even get that upset after a loss.

To me the saddest part of today was Matt Park on Twitter acting like Boeheim's press secretary. The fact he thought that was necessary really shows where we are or where people on the ground think our fan base is. I'm a pretty positive person and do like some of our young players but I honestly watch every game but don't look forward to them like I used to and don't even get that upset after a loss.
It was a real bad look. Not a smart move PR wise. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for suggest a blue blood college team should make the tourney every year. Theres 68 teams

SUs fan base is old. Old people have had habits changed by Covid. Vaccine or no Vaccine social gatherings will be different. Most likely less frequent and suppressed for a very long time. Especially amongst people over 50.
Combine this with a poor product and attendance might plummet.

SUs fan base is old. Old people have had habits changed by Covid. Vaccine or no Vaccine social gatherings will be different. Most likely less frequent and suppressed for a very long time. Especially amongst people over 50.
I couldn’t agree more. I’m 43, one thing I won’t be doing for the next 2-3 years is attending any indoor sporting event.

Knock a fanbase that stuck with the coach through sanctions, embarrassing pressers, and other antics that need not be mentioned more. We come out in the tens of thousands in single degree weather to support the team each year. But sure knock the fans. Embarrassing.

Cool. I more seat open for me.
Bong Joon Ho Bug GIF by NEON

It was a real bad look. Not a smart move PR wise. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for suggest a blue blood college team should make the tourney every year. Theres 68 teams
Who’s a blue blood?

Once the vaccines are fully rolled out, I don’t see this having any affect on social gatherings.

Who’s a blue blood?
Not a good year for the blue bloods. Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are all down. Carolina is below par too. Even an above average SU team could have finished in the top 3 of the ACC this year. VT is number three and they aren’t very good. Almost losing to Miami and getting pummeled by SU says all you need to know about this conference. Watching St. John’s, SH, and UConn for the past couple of days, they would all be in contention in the ACC. The ACC is really bad.

Once the vaccines are fully rolled out, I don’t see this having any affect on social gatherings.
Do some google searches. Major events create change. My 86 year old father got an Amazon prime membership and started getting his groceries delivered. He didnt even use a computer prior to this. Im 62 had a pretty serious bout with Covid and will be at every game possible but many won't. The point is it certainly wont help attendance.

I gave up seats long ago. The fan experience, from ushers to food to faculties, is sub-par, to say the least. The product was no longer worth my effort, my time, or my money.
Now, with the TV and streaming, there are times that games are unavailable to me on TV, unless I want to jump through lots of hoops (no pun intended) trial memberships, etc. It makes it difficult to follow sometimes, so I watch something else.
Then there is the aforementioned product. While CBB as a whole is down, the only difference between SU basketball the last 10 years or so and the A-10, MAC, etc. is the name on the jersey and the name on the bench.
(Most of the above applies to the FB program as well.)
Dior Johnson gave me hope for a revival, but that ended, and our coach’s “get off my lawn”, “I dumped him he didn’t dump me” attitude toward the whole thing was disconcerting, at best.
I admire you folks whose love of the program and heart on the sleeve fandom hasn’t waned. I hope your faith and loyalty are rewarded.

Knock a fanbase that stuck with the coach through sanctions, embarrassing pressers, and other antics that need not be mentioned more. We come out in the tens of thousands in single degree weather to support the team each year. But sure knock the fans. Embarrassing.

Exactly. On top of everything you said the fan base has consistently shown up for years in huge numbers to turn neutral site tournament games and regular season road games into home games, staunchly defended JB and the program amidst ugly off court situations, went full speed in supporting our guys in the TBT, the list is endless. And now when we voice legitimate, valid concerns that JB and the program spokesman have responded with the tone and way they have is pretty insulting.

Why?
Just my opinion and my thoughts, 1. I don’t see COVID going away the vaccine, there will be a large portion of the populace that won’t get it. In addition the virus is mutating as they always do. Not that I live in fear of the virus but I still want to be smart.

2. The pandemic has shifted priorities around, I would rather do other things I love in the limited amount of time I have to myself.
Doesn’t mean I don’t bleed orange but what I’ve missed the most during this pandemic is seeing families, friends, going places.

Do some google searches. Major events create change. My 86 year old father got an Amazon prime membership and started getting his groceries delivered. He didnt even use a computer prior to this. Im 62 had a pretty serious bout with Covid and will be at every game possible but many won't. The point is it certainly wont help attendance.
I foresee my whole industry changing due to this and have spent most of the last year trying to adapt our client acquisition model.
I think people may return to games, but only for a compelling product, not the stuff SU is rolling out. Frankly, the women’s team plays more exciting basketball.

The Spanish Flu didn’t change social gatherings. And we had a pretty sound understanding of how viruses were spread at that time.

I’m doubtful it has an appreciable affect on attendance.

Not a good year for the blue bloods. Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are all down. Carolina is below par too. Even an above average SU team could have finished in the top 3 of the ACC this year. VT is number three and they aren’t very good. Almost losing to Miami and getting pummeled by SU says all you need to know about this conference. Watching St. John’s, SH, and UConn for the past couple of days, they would all be in contention in the ACC. The ACC is really bad.

I get all of that. The post seemed to suggest we are a blue blood and we are not and have never been close to being a blue blood.

We were a top 5 program from 2009-2014. Thats where we were before this stretch of mediocrity. Blue blood or not, we were just as good as any of them not too long ago.

We were very good for stretches. Then and in the 80’s and part of the 90’s. We were just never in any conversations of being a blue blood. That’s all.

Our run as a top 25 team year in and year out was always going to end. Change can help. Change can hurt, too. People think that if we bring in a coach and toss him a few million a year that things will get better. There’s no reason that has to be true.

I get all of that. The post seemed to suggest we are a blue blood and we are not and have never been close to being a blue blood.
This WWE heel character reaches a point.
We are a top 10 program the last 40 years.
If that isn’t close to a blue blood program what is?

We were a top 4 seed every season from 2009-2014.

We are one of 5 programs to make the Final Four every decade since the 1970s. North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Syracuse.

We aren’t a NC contender every season but we are damn close to a blue blood program and were anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom