Matt Park | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were very good for stretches. Then and in the 80’s and part of the 90’s. We were just never in any conversations of being a blue blood. That’s all.

Our run as a top 25 team year in and year out was always going to end. Change can help. Change can hurt, too. People think that if we bring in a coach and toss him a few million a year that things will get better. There’s no reason that has to be true.
Just like those blue bloods, there’s zero reason for a coach not to win at Syracuse. You’ve got everything you need.

Just like those blue bloods, there’s zero reason for a coach not to win at Syracuse. You’ve got everything you need.

Sort of. Location is okay but not special. Facilities are great. 40-50 programs have great facilities. The Dome is cool. A couple dozen schools have cool arenas. Money is our biggest advantage.

The single biggest contributing factor to Syracuse being good is Boeheim. A conservative estimate would put that at 99.7 or 99.6% of the reason.

The Spanish Flu didn’t change social gatherings. And we had a pretty sound understanding of how viruses were spread at that time.

I’m doubtful it has an appreciable affect on attendance.

It’s certainly not going to stop the younger generation of fans from going to the games.

Matt Park is the worst football play-by-play announcer I’ve ever heard in my life bar none. When I am forced to listen to a radio call on SXM I usually listen to the other teams play-by-play guy.

Our fan base is rabid. When we are good people will put out money to see our boys play anywhere...this has been proven out over and over thru the years as we take over arenas up and down the coast. So I agree it’s not a good look to knock the folks who have supported the program for decades. Matt is probably a bit frustrated like everyone is and he probably would like a mulligan on yesterday.

This season is crazy. Look around and you see major programs loaded with talent shitting the bed this year...Duke, Kentucky, Mich St. and others like Kansas and UNC are middle of the pack this year.

Hang in there folks.

I don't know what Matt Park said, but whatever it was, it was part of doing his job. He is an employee of the school ... just as are all the other schools' broadcasters.

Exactly. All schools broadcasters are homers and try to be positive or they will be out of a job.

This fanbase is pretty much clueless for the most part about anything that happens outside of Syracuse.

Our fan base is rabid. When we are good people will put out money to see our boys play anywhere...this has been proven out over and over thru the years as we take over arenas up and down the coast. So I agree it’s not a good look to knock the folks who have supported the program for decades. Matt is probably a bit frustrated like everyone is and he probably would like a mulligan on yesterday.

This season is crazy. Look around and you see major programs loaded with talent shitting the bed this year...Duke, Kentucky, Mich St. and others like Kansas and UNC are middle of the pack this year.

Hang in there folks.
Each of those other programs will reload and be back next year. We’ve been on a downward trajectory, or stagnant, quickly nearing 10 years

SUs fan base is old. Old people have had habits changed by Covid. Vaccine or no Vaccine social gatherings will be different. Most likely less frequent and suppressed for a very long time. Especially amongst people over 50.
Combine this with a poor product and attendance might plummet.
People may find that there other ways to enjoy their free time.

SUs fan base is old. Old people have had habits changed by Covid. Vaccine or no Vaccine social gatherings will be different. Most likely less frequent and suppressed for a very long time. Especially amongst people over 50.
Combine this with a poor product and attendance might plummet.

This doesn’t jive with the opinions of the old people I know. Maybe my old people are special. If you’re vaccinated, there’s no reason to give Covid a 2nd thought

Sort of. Location is okay but not special. Facilities are great. 40-50 programs have great facilities. The Dome is cool. A couple dozen schools have cool arenas. Money is our biggest advantage.

The single biggest contributing factor to Syracuse being good is Boeheim. A conservative estimate would put that at 99.7 or 99.6% of the reason.

Some fans consistently overlook how big of a factor playing in the Dome in front of the most fans is, despite players consistently saying that’s the biggest reason they came here.

Literally not one other school can offer this.

Exactly. All schools broadcasters are homers and try to be positive or they will be out of a job.

This fanbase is pretty much clueless for the most part about anything that happens outside of Syracuse.
I respectfully disagree with you and CTO. Matt Park took a shot at the fan base with his comments. School employee or not that is a low blow and unprofessional in my opinion. He can be "a homer" without attacking the fanbase. Even if the fan base is dead wrong you don't attack them like Park did.

It’s certainly not going to stop the younger generation of fans from going to the games.

Matt Park is the worst football play-by-play announcer I’ve ever heard in my life bar none. When I am forced to listen to a radio call on SXM I usually listen to the other teams play-by-play guy.
I can't listen to Matt Park, especially for Football. I never know what yard line we are on. Do yourself a favor and listen to WAER and follow the games listening to a future Bob Costas.

Last edited:

I honestly don't know the full range of his duties as an SU announcer, but he looks foolish on Twitter trying to explain away and minimize the continued mediocrity of the basketball program.

We were very good for stretches. Then and in the 80’s and part of the 90’s. We were just never in any conversations of being a blue blood. That’s all.

Our run as a top 25 team year in and year out was always going to end. Change can help. Change can hurt, too. People think that if we bring in a coach and toss him a few million a year that things will get better. There’s no reason that has to be true.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I respectfully disagree with you and CTO. Matt Park took a shot at the fan base with his comments. School employee or not that is a low blow and unprofessional in my opinion. He can be "a homer" without attacking the fanbase. Even if the fan base is dead wrong you don't attack them like Park did.

Agreed. His panicky back-pedaling shows that he knows he was in the wrong.

Yeah, I get that he is part of the program, but it still isn't cool. If Wegmans PR chief was on Twitter throwing shade at people that shop at Wegmans that isn't a good look.

Fair enough. Some of his comments weren't great. I was just speaking to the overall point that if you are expecting Matt or any PBP announcer to be critical of their program, then I will disagree with that.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Well, doing the same thing over and over for 40 years has worked out pretty well.

Side note, that’s also not the definition of insanity

I except each team broadcaster to be a homer.
It’s funny though Sean McDonough lost the Red Sox PBP job because he vented the fanbases frustrations on air and wasn’t a company guy.
Fans loved him for it but it ticked off the new ownership group.
Both sides I understood in that situation.

Park should be a company guy and a homer.
His comments though last night were wrong if he doesn’t want the pushback he is getting here.

I know I don’t expect us to be Duke or Kentucky. His comments were lowering the bar way too much and expecting the passion to follow.

Honestly I wonder what some of you suppose Park and the University PR people ought to be doing right now on social media etc. are you that clueless?

This doesn’t jive with the opinions of the old people I know. Maybe my old people are special. If you’re vaccinated, there’s no reason to give Covid a 2nd thought
I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe that the vaccination will prevent potential infection from COVID variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom