Matthew Moyer | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

Sam Rothstein! Nice!
Well, to be perfectly honest, sometimes he goes by Jimmy the Gem. At least that's what the papers the papers told me.
Jimmy%2BConway.jpg

I can't wait to see this kid develop physically. He still looks like a kid. He has the potential to grow a few more inches and add much more muscle definition. He is already explosive with long arms. When he fills out, he will be a monster. I agree with posters that aren't fond of his outside shot. But, I am sure he will be working on that. He just needs to elevate his release point. What an incredible start to the 2016 class.
He does look like a kid standing there ... but a foot + over the rim, not so much.

An athletic forward with great upside, Moyer was heavily hyped following some strong performances a year ago at Coach Vic’s Open Gym in Columbus. However, the Gahanna Lincoln forward did not have a particularly memorable sophomore season, as Michigan State signee Javon Bess commanded most of the attention. Moyer turned his game around 180-degrees in the AAU season, however, dominating in the spring and summer with his VCC Ohio Warriors team along with close friend, and Columbus Northland star forward, Seth Towns.

Moyer’s skill-set really intrigues college coaches as he projects as a true hybrid forward who can attack the rim, Moyer has the athleticism to really influence the game around the rim, and is still learning how to use his tools to control a game. As we said earlier in the week, Moyer will seriously contend for the top spot in Ohio’s 2016 rankings, with today’s commitment to Syracuse adding to his resume.

http://tripledoubleprospects.com/2014/08/08/moyer-commits-to-cuse/

Big props to Jordoo who called it!! He oozes big time potential talent. I don't really see the Trob comparison either. He can put it on the floor already much better. He has some terrific footwork around the rim already. Huge get for SU!

People don't remember in retrospect, but Terrence Roberts projected as a Kenyon Martin type of player coming out of high school. His team at St. Anthony's was great, winning the NJ Tournament of Champions his senior year, and finishing #3 in the country his junior year, going 29-1. He was very quick and agile working the baseline on offense and worked well in the high low. He was Parade 3rd team all-america, which ordinarily is McDonald's level of acclaim.

In his 2 years as a starter at SU, he averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds, shooting 55% from the floor, even though he was playing on 1 leg his senior year. He could hit the baseline jumper and he could leak out and throw it down on the fast break, although I always would have preferred him to stay at home and help on the boards more. Still, 8 rebounds a game is a figure that few of our players have topped since the very old days. He had 20 rebounds in the Big East tourney against Notre Dame. He also made the US Under-21 team after his sophomore year, where he played well. So he was hardly chopped liver, but not all kids live up to their potential.

I see a forward who can move the ball, is bouncy, etc., but the main thing I see right now is he works hard inside and plays big for his size. He's not a finesse player. The release point on his jump shot is pretty low, and his outside shot is pretty much a set shot right now. Jerami Grant showed more outside game in HS. But Dr. Matt looks pretty good on the drive and he's got a nasty streak - that's part of what reminds me of Roberts. He had a bit of that, too.

Last edited:
The only reason imo he isn't ranked higher is that he is WAY out in suburban (hick) Columbus. I know the area being an OH resident. If he was on the east coast and on a power team from New Jersey he'd be way up there. Glad to nab him as he was starting to blow up with this latest AAU stint.

9 miles from downtown Columbus, bro. I don't know Ohio but damn "WAY out in hickville"?? Seems a little extreme.

Interesting take. I don't see Moyer as a TRob type. TRob was a poor rebounding center with no offensive skills and a bad basketball IQ.

This kid is a combo forward with dribbling, passing, shooting and finishing skills Terrence could only dream of.

TRob didn't play center. He was a forward. Watkins was the center.

For such a poor rebounder, he just missed our top 20 all-time, finishing right behind Wendell Alexis and ahead of Otis Hill (and Damone Brown, Raf Addison, Marty Byrnes, Danny Schayes, Craig Forth, Dave Johnson, C.J. Fair, Andre Hawkins and Conrad McRae, among others.)

9 miles from downtown Columbus, bro. I don't know Ohio but damn "WAY out in hickville"?? Seems a little extreme.

I might have been a bit extreme. But that side of town where Gahanna is gets super rural/cornfields really quickly. Northern Columbus stays urban for 20 miles or so.

People don't remember in retrospect, but Terrence Roberts projected as a Kenyon Martin type of player coming out of high school. His team at St. Anthony's was great, winning the NJ Tournament of Champions his senior year, and finishing #3 in the country his junior year, going 29-1. He was very quick and agile working the baseline on offense and worked well in the high low. He was Parade 3rd team all-america, which ordinarily is McDonald's level of acclaim.

In his 2 years as a starter at SU, he averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds, shooting 55% from the floor, even though he was playing on 1 leg his senior year. He could hit the baseline jumper and he could leak out and throw it down on the fast break, although I always would have preferred him to stay at home and help on the boards more. Still, 8 rebounds a game is a figure that few of our players have topped since the very old days. He had 20 rebounds in the Big East tourney against Notre Dame. He also made the US Under-21 team after his sophomore year, where he played well. So he was hardly chopped liver, but not all kids live up to their potential.

I see a forward who can move the ball, is bouncy, etc., but the main thing I see right now is he works hard inside and plays big for his size. He's not a finesse player. The release point on his jump shot is pretty low, and his outside shot is pretty much a set shot right now. Jerami Grant showed more outside game in HS. But Dr. Matt looks pretty good on the drive and he's got a nasty streak - that's part of what reminds me of Roberts. He had a bit of that, too.

Good post and I was never one to mock or not appreciate Roberts. Roberts did play hard and was instrumental on defense (Watkins too) in that BET championship run. I guess he just looks a bit more fluid to me than Roberts did at the same stage. On the drive especially. Certainly both are bouncy like you say and Moyer does play big. We'll see how that shot develops.

Interesting take. I don't see Moyer as a TRob type. TRob was a poor rebounding center with no offensive skills and a bad basketball IQ.

This kid is a combo forward with dribbling, passing, shooting and finishing skills Terrence could only dream of.

He has great potential. If he works hard in the weight room, refines his promising jumper so he can shoot on the move and from the 3 point line, he will be at least as good as CJ. Could be better. Love guys with über high ceilings like him...
Despite no knees TRob was a good rebounder, but on offense he was just a garbageman. He rushed his offensive moves and was preprogrammed instead of adjusting to the flow. He just never put it together, but he gave it his all, especially given his broken wheels. No comparison to MM. MM can handle the ball and shoot, although his mechanics need to change to make it at the next level.

Last edited:
The only reason imo he isn't ranked higher is that he is WAY out in suburban (hick) Columbus. I know the area being an OH resident. If he was on the east coast and on a power team from New Jersey he'd be way up there. Glad to nab him as he was starting to blow up with this latest AAU stint.
He was only averaging 7 pts a game and then last month he led his AAU team to pull off upset after upset.

I don't see the point in pressing a comparison of this kid to TRob. We can argue back and forth about TRob's shortcomings (to my memory they were mostly offensive .. as he was a good defender and rebounder). But either way, Moyer is a 2016 recruit. We all see the potential ... but let's let the kid start his junior year in high school before we pigeonhole his skills.

But he stills seems like more of an inside player to me. He's got ball skills, but he's not playing so much on the perimeter as he is driving the lane, running the floor and working down low.

That's what I see too...and that should help compliment the trio of shooters we have coming in for '15 in Richardson, Lydon, and Howard. McCullough will surely be long gone by the 2016-17 season, and Roberson might also be gone by then too, so it'll be great to have another athletic forward who likes to do damage inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom