McCullough to the NBA | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

Given the kids circumstances it was a good decision for him. He came to SU telling the staff he would leave in 1 year and he kept his promise. Not all kids are cut out or interested in college. He will be drafted, sign a contract that will get him on his way to a pro career. Next year will probably be a transition year and then a year or two to really see what he can do. I'm pulling for him….

Remains to be seen. I'm not sure that it was a "good" decision, even if it was the right one for him. "Good" implies something in terms of the outcome.

Given the kids circumstances it was a good decision for him. He came to SU telling the staff he would leave in 1 year and he kept his promise. Not all kids are cut out or interested in college. He will be drafted, sign a contract that will get him on his way to a pro career. Next year will probably be a transition year and then a year or two to really see what he can do. I'm pulling for him….

Agree with RF2044... Remains to be seen if this was a good decision.

Here's how I'm looking at it - No I don't think it's the best decision Chris could have made. But I say that as a 38 year old fairly successful middle class person. Would I have made the same decision as Chris when I was his age? No - I probably wouldn't have. But again - I was the 19 year old son of two solid middle class college graduate parents. I also didn't have a a pregnant girlfriend at the time. So I hesitate to criticize him as I'm try to remember he comes from a drastically different background than I have ever experienced.

Bottom line for me - As long as he does finish up school in good standing, and it appears that he will according to the article yesterday, then good luck to him and I hope he does spectacular and proves me wrong. He was a solid citizen and representative of the school while he was here.

There's nothing wrong with a successful career in Europe.

No, there isn't. You are correct.

But let's say there's a scenario where McCullough gets drafted in the second round (likely). Or undrafted (less likely but possible).

And let's say he somehow, someway doesn't make it on a roster - either in the NBA on IR or in the D-League.

Where is he going to do the rehab for his knee? What doctors is he going to see? Where is this money coming from? I'm sure the agent that he signs with is going to give him some money up front for signing, but that can and likely will go pretty fast.

Is a European team or some team in Australia/Asia going to take a chance on him? And even if they did take a chance, will he be in game shape when he goes to that country to play?

If he had played out the season healthy, no matter the level of play, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this decision as I do. But with his medical condition, I just think it's a horrific decision.

This makes no sense to me. If he was not cut out or interested in college, why didn't he just go to europe to play. That's where he will likely (I realize you never know and he has talent, but ...) end up anyway. If you don't want to play in college, then don't. It's pretty simple. If you decide to go to college, then make the best decision for the sake of your career which is usually doing something to improve your game and your draft spot. If that doesn't happen, it wasn't going to happen, so you are probably better off getting a degree or at least a bunch of credits and then heading to Europe. Going to college, struggling mightily and then leaving 'for the nba' only to end up stashed on a D-league team that barely --- BARELY -- counts as a minor league to the nba is not a good path and not "the best decision for the player."

I have absolutely nothing against McCullough for leaving. It's very obvious that his plan all along was to go to college for one year and then move on.

I just wish Syracuse would stop recruiting these type of players.

I have no problem with Syracuse recruiting these types of players as long as they are ACTUALLY these types of players. Carmelo is the only example that qualifies so far.

CM is a project. He might be the softest 6'10" player to ever wear orange. His lack of explosiveness is alarming. If doesn't get stronger he has no chance to stick in the league. Best of luck to him.

Don't agree on the first part but I think this second part is the thing that gets left out of these decisions too often -- he's actually not that good at basketball ... yet. That's going to be a hindrance going forward barring some remarkable combination of development and opportunity. He's much more likely to see that improvement on the floor in college than in the D League. That makes it a bad decision. I wish him well, too, but I fail to understand it.

Here's how I'm looking at it - No I don't think it's the best decision Chris could have made. But I say that as a 38 year old fairly successful middle class person. Would I have made the same decision as Chris when I was his age? No - I probably wouldn't have. But again - I was the 19 year old son of two solid middle class college graduate parents. I also didn't have a a pregnant girlfriend at the time. So I hesitate to criticize him as I'm try to remember he comes from a drastically different background than I have ever experienced.

Bottom line for me - As long as he does finish up school in good standing, and it appears that he will according to the article yesterday, then good luck to him and I hope he does spectacular and proves me wrong. He was a solid citizen and representative of the school while he was here.

This is a really well-thought-out post with excellent persepective and I admit, I'm guilty of dismissing the socio-economic aspects that are present in most likely every single one of these decisions (although certainly not with jeremi grant, but ... whatever). So, to that end, I don't really disagree with any of this post.

However, I do think there is another side to this. I would suggest that coming from humble beginnings should make you a bit more wary of bringing a kid into the world as a teenager, but then, you're right, teenagers aren't necessarily thinking of that most of the time.

So here's how I'll frame it: Once you have a child on the way, you are no longer 19 years old. Right? I don't care if you are in the ghetto or living in a mansion in Potomac -- you just got a lot older very quickly. You are now making decisions for a family and you have to be smart and make measured, calculated decisions.

That doesn't mean leaving is wrong -- but if McCullough's dream is that he has a long NBA career and if the evaluators believe he has that potential as well (even if it's ceiling and not necessarily the likeliest outcome), then you have to make a concerted effort to get to that level. I would argue he's unlikely to be drafted (I could be proven wrong) and I would argue that either way he'll end up spending time in the D League and have a very difficult path to the NBA. My feeling is coming back to the cuse, working on his game, being a featured cog in the offense and generally maturing, could --- in theory -- make him more attractive to the NBA and more likely to get an opportunity to stick when he gets there.

I don't know, I just think these guys have a ton of voices in their ears telling them they are Michael Jordan from the time they are 5 and they simply don't have enough folks saying, "pump the brakes, put in the work and don't jump at the first single dangled in front of your nose."

In the end, who cares I guess. Good luck to CM and hopefully the program finds a worthwhile replacement. But ultimately it's hard for me to find the "it's the right decision for him" logic holds much water.

Nope, and starting that career right out of high school is what a kid like McCullough should do if he is desperate for cash.
How many 18 year olds, fresh out of high school, have the maturity or lack of fear, to put it another way, to go to Europe to play ball?

How many 18 year olds, fresh out of high school, have the maturity or lack of fear, to put it another way, to go to Europe to play ball?

What does that have to do with it? You want cash -- there is a ton of cash waiting for you in Israel or what have you. You don't want to go there? Then go to college and try to improve and get to the NBA. And if you're talented enough to get an NBA team to take a flyer on you at 18, then you should be allowed to do that as well. To sit there and say colleges should pay these kids when they don't have any value on the open market makes no sense to me.

What does that have to do with it? You want cash -- there is a ton of cash waiting for you in Israel or what have you. You don't want to go there? Then go to college and try to improve and get to the NBA. And if you're talented enough to get an NBA team to take a flyer on you at 18, then you should be allowed to do that as well. To sit there and say colleges should pay these kids when they don't have any value on the open market makes no sense to me.
Just saying that most kids coming out of high school would be afraid, reluctant, use your own description, to go out of the USA, let alone their neighborhood.

Let them go out of high school, and if choose to go to college must stay minimum 3 years (like baseball without being able to go back if you don't like where you are drafted or by who)

I honestly thought this was an April Fool's joke at first. I am in disbelief. First things first, I will root for Chris and I wish him all the best. But this is the hardest I've ever taken one of these decisions. I was really high on CM's potential for us next year and I thought it was an absolute lock he was coming back after the injury. Our players always seem to be in a rush to leave--as a fan, it starts to wear on you after a while.

I have absolutely nothing against McCullough for leaving. It's very obvious that his plan all along was to go to college for one year and then move on.

I just wish Syracuse would stop recruiting these type of players.

Really? What type of players are that? 1 and done's? We've had 4. Melo, Green, Ennis, and McCollough. Or do you not want to recruit anybody that you fear may leave early? If that's the case you may want to become a Boston College fan or something.

I am in the Chris McCullough camp. Can't fault somebody for looking out for his family and with a child on the way.

Only thing why say you where coming back earlier ?

Really? What type of players are that? 1 and done's? We've had 4. Melo, Green, Ennis, and McCollough. Or do you not want to recruit anybody that you fear may leave early? If that's the case you may want to become a Boston College fan or something.
su 1 and done grades : melo 10 . greene 7. ennis 5 . mcullough 2. (given the injury we hardly knew ya.)

Last edited:
I am in the Chris McCullough camp. Can't fault somebody for looking out for his family and with a child on the way.

Only thing why say you where coming back earlier ?

The problem for Chris is he might not even get drafted.

why would an nba team give him a promise to draft him in the first round? are they that stupid? There are about 50 guys who have his upside with higher floors. He is being sold some swamp land by someone

Did he sign with an agent yet?

Well didn't officially announce it I don't think but reports are he signed with agent Andy Miller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom