McCullough to the NBA | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

ToTheHole said:
Is this board always so judgmental? I can understand being upset, but like was said of Ennis, none of us are in CM's shoes. In a society where a lot of kids grow up without their fathers, here we have a young man who looks like he is putting value on his girlfriend and their expected child, when others make much different decisions. We even have folks mocking what Chris was wearing for the family portrait, and others assuming his decisions are because he "comes from nothing". Does it always get this low on here? Also, we have no idea if Boeheim gave him a "soft-sale" nudge with whatever advice he gave him, or didn't give him. We'll read a few standardized statements from each side, but at this point much about this is simply speculation. May Chris change his mind in the future about the decision like Devo said he did? Maybe, but he is doing what he feels is right for himself and those close to him. I'm a bit upset that he is leaving, but I'm not in his shoes and have no hard feelings, especially since he was expected to be a one and done anyhow. I wish his career had been better at SU, and I wish him and his family the best. I'm less fond about how college hoops has changed than some, but I'm not going to harbor hostility at one individual because of it.

We want to win basketball games. Why else would we be here?

I think most of wish Chris the best, but we wanted him to help SU win basketball games.

Naturally people are upset.

It's not like our soccer goalie went pro.

Honestly what are the odds of him hurting his knee a second time? Not that nbadraft.net is everything, but they have him as a top five pick in the 2016 draft. That just goes to show you what he has to gain by coming back and proving he is healthy.
I don't know the odds, but the likelihood of injuring his knee a second time is probably greater than injuring it the first time. And he might be worried about it.

And once again, you quickly reverted to viewing the positive side without evaluating the downside. What if he injured his knee again? He would be out the estimated $150-$200k he might be able to get this year and he would probably wouldn't get drafted at all the next year.

cuseguy said:
It's not like our soccer goalie went pro.

He did too.

rrlbees said:
He did too.

I know he did. Ha.

But it didn't seem to bother many people.

Quazzum69 said:
If he's a top-five pick in 2016 after 2 years of college, that would imply the NBA peeps are assuming he would get better next year.

So why can't he just leave now and get better outside of college where he'll have more time to practice, maybe even make a roster in some professional league?

Because this time next year there will be a whole other class of kids a year or more younger than him that the NBA will fawn over. You think they're going to give a kid like Chris a chance coming from over seas or the d league?

As much common sense as your argument has, it doesn't happen. Kids either get drafted and do well, or they fall between the cracks and never get seen again.

This might be the problem with the Bryant recruitment. If McCullough enters the draft this year I think we lose the ability to give Bryant a scholarship as McCullough's departure would bring us down to 10 for next year.

This absolutely does not make sense to me but then again we are talking about the NCAA.

We'll see if he gets drafted where he's projected.

And if you were in the same position as McCullough is and you decided to leave, it would remain a pretty dumb decision.

If he doesn't make a roster - which he won't because he's still going to be hurt - he's going to have to go to Europe. And no European team is going to sign him until he's ready to play.

DeAndre Daniels left UConn after his junior year, had more success than McCullough at the collegiate level and was ranked just about as high as he was coming out of high school. He was picked 37th overall and didn't make a roster. He is now in Perth, Australia - probably making $150K-$200K for the year.

Good money, no doubt. But you don't think having another year in college, getting healthy and playing your way into the first round would be worth it? And if he decides to go to the D-League, he's going to be making a fraction of that.

Sorry, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

Money talks even in the D-League. Who wants to be a slave to the NCAA racquet.

Ok, Im going to go on a rant here and Im likely going to get crap for it, but i dont give a .

This is a monumentally STUPID move. The idea that he needs to enter the NBA draft this year vs next or else his kid will starve is complete BS. This is a smokescreen. We are talking about one year, not forever and as a father of two young ones, they dont cost that much at that age if you dont dress them up in Burberry and buy them the stokee exploree stroller. They get full pretty fast on some cheap stuff.

If he or his advisors had their heads on straight he would realize that his best bet is to come back and build his value back up and then enter the draft. He will earn far more money this way for his family going forward than by entering now.

If he's gotten the "word" from the NBA that he is a lock to be a first round pick, I would question the veracity of said word and I would seriously look into the motives of the people getting in his ear.

If he is worried about the risk of blowing out his other knee, he should weight that again the risk of him not being drafted in the first round or drafted at all. What risk is greater?

If he is afraid that coming back will only further reduce his stock, then he would DEFINITELY be better served coming back to school and actually earning a degree, because that basketball money aint going to be enough for the long term.

And he told JB before he came, still surprised. Good luck CM.

Out on a limb: He has a promise for a first round slot from a team with multiple 1st rounders, like the 76ers. The will take him and stash him away next year, then already have a 2016 high pick on their roster before the 2016 draft.

You're a real drama queen.
King. Drama King...

So, while I'm at it, this may be the worst business decision since Ron Wayne took $800 from his partners to sell his interest in some company he co-founded. Parters named Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs.

Out on a limb: He has a promise for a first round slot from a team with multiple 1st rounders, like the 76ers. The will take him and stash him away next year, then already have a 2016 high pick on their roster before the 2016 draft.

Pretty good line of thinking here. I mean if you listen to what NBA scouts are saying, he's someone they view with upside. He's far from a lock, but his measurables are intriguing to teams and late 1st/early 2nd he's probably taken by someone.

As far as returning to school and elevating his draft stock, I mean we are talking about a guy who might not be back cleared to play until January. So he was going to miss a full year, and then come back into the ACC schedule and do what exactly? What if he comes back to a team with 1 or 2 losses and guys playing well, would he jump right in, or would he be eased in as a role player? Lots of moving pieces here that people need to consider

For the record. I think he will be picked prob in the second round.

If his decision is strictly based on family both getting his parents out of a tough neighborhood better life in the Bronx, and that he has a child on the way. Then i wish him nothing but the best.

Money talks even in the D-League. Who wants to be a slave to the NCAA racquet.

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA -- although they do receive housing and insurance benefits.

For the record. I think he will be picked prob in the second round.

If his decision is strictly based on family both getting his parents out of a tough neighborhood better life in the Bronx, and that he has a child on the way. Then i wish him nothing but the best.
I have absolutely nothing against McCullough for leaving. It's very obvious that his plan all along was to go to college for one year and then move on.

I just wish Syracuse would stop recruiting these type of players.

I have absolutely nothing against McCullough for leaving. It's very obvious that his plan all along was to go to college for one year and then move on.

I just wish Syracuse would stop recruiting these type of players.
I don't mind an occasional "one and done" player if he is truly an impact player...a game changer. Players with "measurables" and "potential" are rarely game changers. They usually take 2-3 years to develop.

CM is a project. He might be the softest 6'10" player to ever wear orange. His lack of explosiveness is alarming. If doesn't get stronger he has no chance to stick in the league. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:
I don't mind an occasional "one and done" player if he is truly an impact player...a game changer. Players with "measurables" and "potential" are rarely game changers. They usually take 2-3 years to develop.

CM is a project.

Agreed. Not all one-and-doners are cut from the same cloth. There's a difference between a guy like Ennis, who was very good, versus a trancendent talent caliber one-and-done. And there's an enormous chasm between either of those two and a project like McCullough, who barely had an impact on our program.

I'm hoping he does well and is drafted in the first round, but I have a feeling that he's going to end up being the poster child for this being a tremendously poor decision. Grant was almost that guy last year, but he landed in the most preferential situation that you could possibly conceive of, which mitigates how nearly disastrous of a decision he made.

RMH44 said:
I don't mind an occasional "one and done" player if he is truly an impact player...a game changer. Players with "measurables" and "potential" are rarely game changers. They usually take 2-3 years to develop. CM is a project. He might be the softest 6'10" player to ever wear orange. He lack of explosiveness is alarming. If doesn't get stronger he has no chance to stick in the league. Best of luck to him.

Wow, you'd think I wrote this.

Thanks.

Given the kids circumstances it was a good decision for him. He came to SU telling the staff he would leave in 1 year and he kept his promise. Not all kids are cut out or interested in college. He will be drafted, sign a contract that will get him on his way to a pro career. Next year will probably be a transition year and then a year or two to really see what he can do. I'm pulling for him….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom