McD’s - Bazley | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

McD’s - Bazley

I liked what I saw from Bazley...a lot. Looked to be one of the most, if not the most, complete players on the court. He did a little of everything and a lot of some things considering I thought he got screwed out of some minutes. Very versatile and showed some passion for defense unlike most the others.

FWIW, I love the Barrett kid.

Bazley reminded me of Tayshaun Prince. Solid overall game. This is not a game where he will stand out. They had him playing the 4 and sometimes the 5 in man. If he plays in Pros, it will be as a 3 unless he gains 30 pounds of strength.
I don't see him as a freshman phenom. I hope people temper their expectations and don't compare him to Melo. When we press next year, I hope he guards the inbound passer and acts as our trap guy.

I’m sure it’s been said...

I tuned in to watch Bazley for a bit, looked real good.

But the game, is unwatchable.

It was unwatchable even having it recorded and being able to fast forward through the non-Bazley stuff. And muting the Duke propaganda.

Not sure how anyone gleens much of anything substantive from this nonsense.

Bazley reminded me of Tayshaun Prince. Solid overall game. This is not a game where he will stand out. They had him playing the 4 and sometimes the 5 in man. If he plays in Pros, it will be as a 3 unless he gains 30 pounds of strength.
I don't see him as a freshman phenom. I hope people temper their expectations and don't compare him to Melo. When we press next year, I hope he guards the inbound passer and acts as our trap guy.

That is a major undersell on this kid. Comparing to Melo is unfair in any circumstance really, but this kid has all the tools to be a star as a frosh. All star game, national TV - kid was focused on the game and not just the press exposure. He got more aggressive as he got into the game. In a setting with time to work with teammates and building chemistry, that will change.

Just finished watching the replay. Really sloppy but a few observations.

Really like I think it was CuseinCincy’s comparison of Bazely to Tayshaun Prince. Really smooth. Does everything well. Long. Sneaky athletic, super fluid, but I wouldn’t say explosive. He looked really good aside from a few lacksadaiscal plays. He’s going to be awesome but I’m hesitant in saying he’s going to come in right away and dominate.

Nassir Little. Wow. He’s going to be a pain. Power, handle, good touch, threw a lob leading a break, hit a 3, hit a long step-back 2. Didn’t show a weakness.

Barrett and Naz Reid. Both freaks. Will be unfair guarding those guys.

Langford looks terrific too. Reminds me of a more explosive Malachi.

Crazy how well Zion moves and his explosion for his size/girth. Pretty good handle too.

Garland is going to be nice for Vandy. Reddish was sort of invisible as was Quinerly.

Last edited:

Really like I think it was CuseinCincy’s comparison of Bazely to Tayshaun Prince. Really smooth. Does everything well. Long. Sneaky athletic, super fluid, but I wouldn’t say explosive. He looked really good aside from a few lacksadaiscal plays. He’s going to be awesome but I’m hesitant in saying he’s going to come in right away and dominate.

Nassir Little. Wow. He’s going to be a pain. Power, handle, good touch, threw a lob leading a break, hit a 3, hit a long step-back 2.

Crazy how well Zion moves and his explosion for his size/girth. Pretty good handle too.

Garland is going to be nice for Vandy. Reddish was sort of invisible as was Quinerly.

I see some similarities but Prince was thin even compared to Bazely. Also, the baseline drive where he got called for a travel showed an explosive first step that was not expected. Also Prince really was more of a perimeter player and not as willing to mix it up at the rim until later in his career and Bazely already attacks the glass. Prince averaged a little over 6 boards a game as an upperclassmen. Great player but played much more like a shooting guard than a forward in college.

I see some similarities but Prince was thin even compared to Bazely. Also, the baseline drive where he got called for a travel showed an explosive first step that was not expected. Also Prince really was more of a perimeter player and not as willing to mix it up at the rim until later in his career and Bazely already attacks the glass. Prince averaged a little over 6 boards a game as an upperclassmen. Great player but played much more like a shooting guard than a forward in college.

Yeah maybe more of a mix of Odom/Prince. Good first step like you said. Willing to mix it up but he’s going to pinball around or travel against certain teams a la Marek. Needs to get stronger. SUPER versatile. Nice stroke. Should be a great complement to Brissett. That Nassir Little though...damn.

Absolutely the best comparison is a young Lamar Odom. Long, lean..can shoot the 3, extremely smooth, get to the rim with his long strides.

Nassir Little. Wow. He’s going to be a pain. Power, handle, good touch, threw a lob leading a break, hit a 3, hit a long step-back 2. Didn’t show a weakness.

And to think garland and Langford could be on the same team next year.

Yeah maybe more of a mix of Odom/Prince. Good first step like you said. Willing to mix it up but he’s going to pinball around or travel against certain teams a la Marek. Needs to get stronger. SUPER versatile. Nice stroke. Should be a great complement to Brissett. That Nassir Little though...damn.

Little was impressive especially as the game wore on. He does look for his own, a lot but also attacks the offensive glass a ton too. The type of player who might be a bit of a chucker at times. Will be interesting as he isn't the type of forward Roy Williams brings in usually given how much he likes to play in isolation. He will be a menace no doubt.

On Bazley:
  • Overall, like what I saw - prototype for our systems. Probably a better fit than any 3/4 not named Barrett or Little.
  • Better rebounder than I expected, given his relatively lean frame. He is not Warrick skinny, but he is not Warrick athletic either.
  • Good at a lot of things, not necessarily great at anything. Will pair well with Brissett, because both are 3/4s (and Marek too).
  • Not a 5, though he did match up with East bigs a bit.
  • I get the Odom comparisons, but he's Odom-lite at this point. At that age, Odom was a better athlete, smoother ball handler, etc. I have a hard time coming up with a good comparison because he is less of a two then some of the guys i am thinking of - maybe Kyle Anderson who played at St. Anthony's, UCLA, and is now with the Spurs.
  • Since the other combo guard/2 strikes me as the only unsettled starting position for us, I'd like to see how he does playing with the best shooter/scorer of the three of Carey/Boeheim/Hughes. Bazley is going to open things up out there and a fourth offensive option should be able to take advantage nicely. The 18-19 team should be better offensively than this year's team (a healthy Sidibe and improved Marek would really cinch it), but will still probably not be in the realm of the 16-17 team.
My other observations:
  • Didn't finish watching. Game was pretty terrible. Shooting was really poor.
  • Barrett, Little, then everyone else. I've been impressed with Little since I saw his team play Monteverde back in December.
  • Jones was most complete PG. Quinnerly was really poor.
  • Naz Reid was most impressive big. Really nice frame and well-coordinated to boot. Given our lack of a 5 in this class, I don't get (;)) how a kid like him ends up at LSU, and a kid like Moses Brown, who is less skilled, but would be a nice fit in our zone, ends up at UCLA.
  • Zion Williamson will not be too bad of a match up for us, but he is going to give a lot of teams problems.
  • Cam Reddish was clearly skilled, but he is a 2/3 tweener, and without a real 4 to couple him with, probably isn't the best fit for our zone.

Can some of the scouts on here please explain this apparent shortage of athleticism from Bazley?

I'm not seeing it.

Zags compared him to Ben Simmons.

So my buddy wasn’t alone. I don’t see Simmons.
Bazely compared himself to Ben Simmons. I also don't see it. He's definitely a capable ball handler though.

I love Bazley’s game.
He can’t play the 5 in the zone though.
He needs to put on good weight ASAP. To absorb all the contact he is going to draw.
I like the comparison to Lamar Odom on the Lakers.
That is his game.
Create for others and still get his within the offense.

My buddy I was watching with a UNC fan said he reminded him of Ben Simmons. I don’t agree because Bazley has a better shot than Simmons.
I think Simmons lite is not a bad comp set. Not nearly as phyical but overall skill set is similar. He clearly gets team. Im excited.

Simmons is a less physical LeBron.
Without the jump shot.

I watched Bazley he isn’t that.

He isn’t as physical as Simmons and Simmons isn’t that physical.

Tayshaun Prince didn’t have the handle that Bazley has.
Prince was an athletic long wing. Bazley has some playmaking skills.

He is definitely a one and done so we should get the most out of him we can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom