McDonald demoted | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

Hunt called that one. Per reports.
Okay so that would mean the staff(OC) is letting the QB call a critical play in a hazardous situation, even if an audible this strikes me as being BS, and something that should not be allowed to happen. Either way a bad coaching move in my book.

HeaterCuse22 said:

So McDonald didn't make the worst play call ever?

Last edited:
This is a disaster. What changes could possibly be made in 5 days with both a new OC and QB that will even give us a fighting chance against FSU?

Why would ANYONE be worried about FSU?

This is a glorified scrimmage this week, always was.

This is about seeing if you can win some plays, win some series, even win a possession or two.

This move wasn't made because of FSU or Clemson, it was done because of Wake, NCSt, Duke, BC and Pitt.

The more and more I think about it, the more I think the "F*** It" interview has played a large role in this happening midseason. Many of you are correct - midseason is weird timing, and generally does not happen if at all in college.

I could absolutely see the President of the University calling Daryl Gross and telling him in no uncertain terms that this guy needs to go. Or at the very least a strong punishment should be doled out.

Ah, I don't know about that.

4-6 weeks isn't the end of the season for hunt.technically 4 weeks from today is 11/4,5 weeks is 11/11 and we have a bye 11/15 so he could make it back for the last 2 games

No but he/they allowed him to continue to play after that. Someone yanked Desir allowing punts to get downed inside the 5 yard line but they allowed Hunt to keep making the same bad decisions over and over. After the one play drive interception I was sure he was getting yanked but nope, kept trotting him out there until his legs were literally broken off.

my own personal guess is that this was going to be kept quiet with Lester just replacing McDonald as Play calling but once it leaked they just announced it

He didn't just call some random play. If he checked into it it's because it's what he is coached to do when he sees a certain defense with the personnel on the field. either get up under center, sneak in three times and punt, or take three shots and risk the safety. Going shotgun unless it's a pass is stupid. And if that's the case take the chance and just go four verts and see if you can hit it.

This is about seeing if you can win some plays, win some series, even win a possession or two.

This move wasn't made because of FSU or Clemson, it was done because of Wake, NCSt, Duke, BC and Pitt.
spot on.

gotta find 4 Wins.

we know the 5 games where its possible, and we are going to have to steal them. i dont see any game where the Orange will be favored.

He didn't just call some random play. If he checked into it it's because it's what he is coached to do when he sees a certain defense with the personnel on the field. either get up under center, sneak in three times and punt, or take three shots and risk the safety. Going shotgun unless it's a pass is stupid. And if that's the case take the chance and just go four verts and see if you can hit it.
all the risk of a shot down field with the reward of hoping a husky guy can turn the corner

agree

Ah, I don't know about that.

Personally I find it hard to believe Shafer, with his steadfast loyalty to his guys and with the knowledge that McDonald is likely gone if/when he makes this move, would go ahead and make this big of a switch midseason unprovoked. But that's just me.

I wonder why Shafer didn't nix it when it came across the head sets.

Some people hate when the facts get in the way of a good narrative. Especially when they're trying to build a grass roots campaign to fire a coach. There has to be 3 different post headings about this play call and 90% of posters either don't know or don't care that McDonald didn't make that call. IT WAS AN AUDIBLE called by Hunt at the LOS. Although i've always been told you can't argue facts this board makes one wonder. Just wow.

all the risk of a shot down field with the reward of hoping a husky guy can turn the corner

Two key plays they have AAM out there running plays that fit PTG's skill set. I get the whole you don't want to tip your hand, blah, blah, blah, but worrying about that in key spots when you have enough trouble executing is stupid.

It's the kind of thing that gets you demoted.

Some people hate when the facts get in the way of a good narrative. Especially when they're trying to build a grass roots campaign to fire a coach. There has to be 3 different post headings about this play call and 90% of posters either don't know or don't care that McDonald didn't make that call. IT WAS AN AUDIBLE called by Hunt at the LOS. Although i've always been told you can't argue facts this board makes one wonder. Just wow.

You don't give him the opportunity to audible into that play, that's the point. If it was an isolated event that would be one thing, but it is just another example in a season where the offense has scored 20, 9, and 6 points the last three games, is ranked 102nd in 3rd down conversions, 105th scoring offense, 108th in passing efficiency.

Yeah, McDonald stated it was an audible by Hunt, he still manned up and put the onus squarely on him by admitting that he shouldn't had called the play he did and place Hunt in that position. Clearly, what ensued was horrendous, but that only made it 9-3, there was still a ton a ball left. As bad as that play was, imo, it certainly wasn't the last straw...but rather the totality of his work over the past 5 games...

It is sort of strange timing with the two things coming out at once (McDonald and Hunt). There has to be something more to this IMO. Did McDonald want to go with Wilson and Shafer wanted to go with Long? Most thought Hunt was the wrong QB to run McDonalds system now that Hunt is gone wouldn't you want to give McDonald a chance with a different QB? Did McDonald ask out? There is a big piece of information missing and I am not sure we will ever get it.

Why does it have to be connected? Maybe after reviewing film, Shafer simultaneously came to the conclusion that neither guy can read a college d. I'm not sure it's all that strange. I think the evidence shows that both these guys deserved a benching after the past couple of games.

You don't give him the opportunity to audible into that play, that's the point. If it was an isolated event that would be one thing, but it is just another example in a season where the offense has scored 20, 9, and 6 points the last three games, is ranked 102nd in 3rd down conversions, 105th scoring offense, 108th in passing efficiency.

If you can't trust your 2nd year starting QB who has been in the program for 4 years to make calls at the line, I don't know what you can do offensively. I mean, people overlook players dropping sure TD passes (Broyld, Lewis, etc.) and blame the playcaller.

I think McDonald gave Hunt a lot of responsibility and it cost him his job (that and injuries to his 2 best WR's).

I really don't think Lester is an improvement (nearly everyone admits Hunt regressed as a thrower and now we have turned to his coach to save the offense). Hope I am wrong. I feel our issues are more personnel driven then coaching driven on the offensive side of the ball (you guys realize even before Broyld and Estime got hurt that 3 of 4 true frosh played - not exactly an endorsement of the returning talent).

People also greatly underestimate the loss of Macky and how John Miller has played. OL making a lot of mistakes they weren't making last year.

Ozcupost: 1154304 said:
None. That's why it's the perfect time to do it. We're gonna lose big regardless. This is more for Wake Forest with the FSU game as a scrimmage.
Good point. We're going to lose the game anyway? F%@K IT

Ok. Didnt realize all alumni/players/coaches/fans/employees/ other stakeholders viewed a game against the top team in the country as a glorified scrimmage.

A scrimmage where we will struggle to move the ball against a D that is light years ahead of ours in coaching and talent, making gauging any offensive progress in 5 days unlikely.

If you can't trust your 2nd year starting QB who has been in the program for 4 years to make calls at the line, I don't know what you can do offensively. I mean, people overlook players dropping sure TD passes (Broyld, Lewis, etc.) and blame the playcaller.
Who blamed McDonald for Lewis' dropped TD pass?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom