McDonald demoted | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

its time, was a decisive move that you have to love. Keeps people paying attention and maybe even going to the games by being proactive like this. Myself for example. I committed a while ago to being the chef at the FINE MESS tailgate but was ready to leave right after the tailgate and not even go in. I can't handle this anymore the feeling of complete and utter helplessness of something I care(d) passionately about watching the definition of insanity start to play our again.

These bits of news changes my head quite a bit and can't imagine I'm the only one. Theres a reason to go in the game now and start that possibly delusional hope that things can get righted. Wow never expected something like this here. Love it.

Agree, new OC, new QB at least worth tuning in for a bit

Hunt's regression this season has been shocking. This kid closed last season on a strong note, by all accounts had a good off-season, and had the benefit of a bunch of returning starters. 1 TD in 5 games is just absurd. What happened with this kid?
his qb rating the last two games was 131 and 120

november rating 113

he was the worst qb ever in october so it was a great improvement but maybe that's all he is.

he only had 3 passing td in the three games after tulane

against BCS teams, he gets 1 td for every 98 attempts. He gets an Int every 27 attempts

Hunt's regression this season has been shocking. This kid closed last season on a strong note, by all accounts had a good off-season, and had the benefit of a bunch of returning starters. 1 TD in 5 games is just absurd. What happened with this kid?
Well, one thing that I haven't seen anyone bring up is whether Lester is really a good QB coach. I don't know, but you have to ask the question. Kimble supposedly faded and didn't develop the way they thought he would. Again, coincidence?

I could also believe that it's the talent we are working with, but then again I see QB's in the MAC every year who seem able to make throws that our guy simply can't.

I'd be content if we never put another QB into the NFL, but had Marvin Graves every year.

Well, one thing that I haven't seen anyone bring up is whether Lester is really a good QB coach. I don't know, but you have to ask the question. Kimble supposedly faded and didn't develop the way they thought he would. Again, coincidence?

I could also believe that it's the talent we are working with, but then again I see QB's in the MAC every year who seem able to make throws that our guy simply can't.

I'd be content if we never put another QB into the NFL, but had Marvin Graves every year.
i hate wondering what could've been if joe friggin licata were offered a scholarship here

Hunts strong finish was really more along the lines of fools gold. If you go back last year and watch some of the games even the wins vs NC State and Wake he was still absolutely awful. I think he had like 69 yards passing one game. I would surely rather have him starting this weekend then the other options because none of them are close to be ready especially Long but Hunt struggling this year is zero surprise to me. I hope this staff is getting ready to offer another QB because we need additional help and I still have zero faith in Edouard ever showing up on campus here.

Handicapping the situation: Lester , great starting Qb in college , 7 years play calling and HC now calling plays + , McDonald down ,bringing intensity , on the field managing the in game player coaching + , A healthy Wilson who can sling it over Hunt with bad wheels , whose main strength is running +. That's 3+ and the only- is see is lack of game experience for Wilson. If he's a gamer , then we're in a much better position.

his qb rating the last two games was 131 and 120

november rating 113

he was the worst qb ever in october so it was a great improvement but maybe that's all he is.

he only had 3 passing td in the three games after tulane

Maybe--but that's still better than how he looked last game. What veteran QB doesn't have the situational awareness to understand the clock when running a two minute drill?

And you are right--he had a rough patch in the middle of the season after some early season [ridculous] success. But he seemed to have ironed things out by the end of the year, strung together solid performances against Pitt / BC / Minnesota, and seemed poised to build on that. What happened? This isn't just a "failure to progress" conversation, he's gotten worse.

Hunts strong finish was really more along the lines of fools gold. If you go back last year and watch some of the games even the wins vs NC State and Wake he was still absolutely awful. I think he had like 69 yards passing one game. I would surely rather have him starting this weekend then the other options because none of them are close to be ready especially Long but Hunt struggling this year is zero surprise to me. I hope this staff is getting ready to offer another QB because we need additional help and I still have zero faith in Edouard ever showing up on campus here.

Why was it fools gold? Did he have those performances or not? I mean--he played his best ball at the end of the year, we won 2 out of those 3 games [including a bowl], and lost the third game due to a missed XP. Again, this isn't a discussion about his potential, or whether his progress has stagnated. He was playing reasonably well, had a good offseason, is returning a bunch of offensive players, and is no longer an inexperienced starter. There was no reason to think he wouldn't at least play as well as he did at the end of last year for the most part.

And I want to be clear--I'm not talking about Hunt being an NFL prospect, I'm talking about him being serviceable. Which he was by the end of last year. Which he was not against Louisville. And it wasn't because they had a great D [which they do], he had plenty of time to throw all game long.

Last edited:
Well, one thing that I haven't seen anyone bring up is whether Lester is really a good QB coach.

I've thought about that to. Especially when Wilson could only run 10% of a gameplan. If this is all true and it's Lester getting the OC tag, I really hope it's only an interim OC. Got to test the market come Dec but if it's apparent Lester can do the job, them give him the FT tag then, not before.

Maybe--but that's still better than how he looked last game. What veteran QB doesn't have the situational awareness to understand the clock when running a two minute drill?

And you are right--he had a rough patch in the middle of the season after some early season [ridculous] success. But he seemed to have ironed things out by the end of the year, strung together solid performances against Pitt / BC / Minnesota, and seemed poised to build on that. What happened? This isn't just a "failure to progress" conversation, he's gotten worse.
he had a 92 qb rating saturday which stinks

as a starter last year after tulane, he had 4 games worse than that and 5 games better (last 3 were better)

my theory is that hunt just hasn't thrown that many passes in his life. city kid that was great at basketball. i bet most qbs in D1 have thrown twice as many passes in their lives

would love to know if the lester taking over last year rumors are true. maybe that's what caused the bump for hunt to improve to being a below average passer instead of an awful one

which game did lester's responsibilities increase last year? would love to split those stats

My theory all along has been that McD was given the OC position solely due to his recruiting prowess.

He's been a great recruiter but an abysmal OC. The big disappointment is that he didn't grow into the OC role.

I have little doubt that he'll be gone after this season and that we'll lose recruits due to it. Recruiting guru at Syracuse just doesn't have enough cachet for McD.

But it was a (figurative) deal with the devil from the git-go.

Whoever the next QB is (probably Wilson) lets all give the kid a chance. I don't expect anything much against FSU the number 1 ranked team in the nation for his first start is seriously ridiculous.

He will only have this week to take first team reps and Lester will have to hustle to install a play package.

However, I expect a good performance against Wake. Clemson will be tough, but then the last four games of the season will tell us what we have or don't have.

Vs FSU, the OL will have to protect this kid as he isn't going to run anywhere and if he has no time to pass if won't tell us anything about him. Tough duty on Saturday.

I'm glad some people are excited about these recent developments.

I'm not sure what to think right now.

After a 2-0 start, we pissed away a great opportunity against Maryland.

Now we're 2-3, preparing to face the nation's top-ranked team and everything is a mess.

Hunt hasn't been the answer. But he's the best we have. Without him, I don't think we win another game this year.

Demoting McDonald shakes up things, but does it ultimately cost us Edourad?

We need a high functioning, productive QB in order to be successful. I don't think that QB resides in our program right now.

Why was it fools gold? Did he have those performances or not? I mean--he played his best ball at the end of the year, we won 2 out of those 3 games [including a bowl], and lost the third game due to a missed XP. Again, this isn't a discussion about his potential, or whether his progress has stagnated. He was playing reasonably well, had a good offseason, is returning a bunch of offensive players, and is no longer an inexperienced starter. There was no reason to think he wouldn't at least play as well as he did at the end of last year for the most part.

And I want to be clear--I'm not talking about Hunt being an NFL prospect, I'm talking about him being serviceable. Which he was by the end of last year. Which he was not against Louisville. And it wasn't because they had a great D [which they do], he had plenty of time to throw all game long.

Andrew Robinson threw for 400+ yards one time as well and shredded a couple of teams through the air while he was the starting QB. Still doesn't mean he was a serviceable QB at the Div 1 level. Hunt doesnt have the accuracy to be a Div 1 QB. If not for his scrambling ability I shudder to think how bad his numbers would be.

We need a high functioning, productive QB in order to be successful. I don't think that QB resides in our program right now.

You would think looking at our QB situation,that he would see a great opportunity to play right away here but who knows.

I'm not sure what to think right now.

After a 2-0 start, we pissed away a great opportunity against Maryland.

Now we're 2-3, preparing to face the nation's top-ranked team and everything is a mess.

Hunt hasn't been the answer. But he's the best we have. Without him, I don't think we win another game this year.

Edouard probably isnt making it back here regardless of whether or not Mcdonald is here. Syracuse will probably take a recruiting hit if Mcdonald is demoted and leaves after this year but keeping him around or at the OC position is only delaying the inevitable. Mcdonald simply doesnt have the skill and or personality to be an OC. We need to run with Lester and hope that collectively the rest of the staff can recruit and perhaps keep Mcdonald around as the WR coach and assistant OC for his recruiting purposes.

Andrew Robinson threw for 400+ yards one time as well and shredded a couple of teams through the air while he was the starting QB. Still doesn't mean he was a serviceable QB at the Div 1 level. Hunt doesnt have the accuracy to be a Div 1 QB. If not for his scrambling ability I shudder to think how bad his numbers would be.

Andrew Robinson might have proven to be a serviceable QB if he weren't surrounded by our worst collection of talent in program history, led by the worst coach in program history, playing behind what arguably were our worst OLs in program history.

We're not talking about Hunt having to be a world beater. Serviceable should have been enough to get the job done, with the amount of starters we had returning this year.

So what is the deal here? McDonald get demoted? Lester taking over play calling again? McDonald fired?

Hunt officially out? Long jumping Kimble and Wilson?

So what is the deal here? McDonald get demoted? Lester taking over play calling again? McDonald fired?

Hunt officially out? Long jumping Kimble and Wilson?

Did you read the thread?

Andrew Robinson might have proven to be a serviceable QB if he weren't surrounded by our worst collection of talent in program history, led by the worst coach in program history, playing behind what arguably were our worst OLs in program history.

We're not talking about Hunt having to be a world beater. Serviceable should have been enough to get the job done, with the amount of starters we had returning this year.

You answered your own question, he simply isnt that good. Theres a reason the staff brought in a 5th year QB from Oklahoma last year and gave him the reigns to the Offense over a guy who had been with the team 3 years in Hunt.

loud-noises.gif

Did you read the thread?

Yes there was a link that didn't work anymore. And someone saying he has been demoted? Demoted to what? Is he being stripped of his title or just stripped of the play calling?

You answered your own question, he simply isnt that good. Theres a reason the staff brought in a 5th year QB from Oklahoma last year and gave him the reigns to the Offense over a guy who had been with the team 3 years in Hunt.

Its easy to say that now as a MMQB, but I doubt that many people had that impression of Hunt coming off of how last season wrapped up, though. There's nothing wrong with being a solid game manager, which is what Hunt was serviceably shaping into by the end of last year.

The reason that they brought in a 5th year QB was in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle, and because there was reason to expect that Allen was pretty good [including his stats in mop up duty]. As it turns out, he was worse than Hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom