McDonald | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

I do know how I would have handled it. I wouldn't have sounded like a little b*tch in public. You don't do that at this level. It was stupid. What I find amazing is people on here are actually trying to minimize what he said. Words have meaning. You say you wish you had stayed at Arkansas... that's serious. That's not smart, and as AN ADULT, you don't go off the deep end in public in an interview with 15 people in the press. He handled it like a 17 year old would.

What is more damning in my mind, is that somehow he actually doesn't think he was poor at his job. Sure, the talent isn't at the highest level, but good offensive coordinators put their guys in position to succeed. We have enough talent to score points. His schemes didn't work. Execution and discipline is something the players failed at. I'm not surprised given the fact that their leader is undisciplined himself. You can't teach what you don't know, and he obviously wasn't teaching that part of the game to our players.
I guarantee you that if he had known he only had 18 games to develop a winning offense at SU he would have stayed at Arkansas. Nobody would have done that. He was blindsided and unprepared emotionally. Give the guy a break he is only human. And you have no earthly idea how you would have reacted - none at all. People mouth off all the time and then when faced with similar circumstances understand for the first time how difficult it is. You might have been a worse little bit#h.

He spoke the truth and if that offends you I think that might be your problem and not his. Exactly what did you expect him to do? Oh, I am a POS and Shafer was right to fire me as OC.

He didn't do a good job but many will look at 18 games as unreasonable period to judge given it is Syracuse, which has had only one year of good offense in the last what, 15 years. Remember he was 9-9 or .500, which is the same as Hackett over 4 years.

Marrone's teams were also undisciplined.

Well, they have not faced any adversity yet and they possibly never will. But when Kiffin gets to being unhappy we could see some fireworks down there as well.

If that happens Kiffin is gone. None of this amateur hour stuff like here.

How in the world did we expect this team to have discipline, when it's obvious at least one coordinator has no discipline of his own?

Do you think the head coach shows discipline with his actions?

wow did you just wake up from a coma and had to catch up by posting like 20 in a row...lol

You can't imagine how long it took me to get through 12 pages on this plus the GMD articles with quotes. I've been in a tunnel vision work explosion scenario for a few days and had heard about the demotion and Hunt's injury on here but hadn't had time to look at any posts or articles on either.

we talk a lot about investments and i shrug because the numbers aren't really out there to evaluate (their prerogative, that's fine)

but that 500,000 on Fridge seems to be money very well spent. the difference in their offense is unbelievable. from a wins perspective, it will be hard for tens of millions on facilities to have the same proportional impact. it's impossible to isolate all the effects, i know - rutgers spends money on things other than fridge

now how many Fridge's are there out there? you run the risk of throwing half a million at a bum like McF***It. but holy cow 500k for that kind of offensive upgrade seems like quite a bargain

I agree entirely that it would be money not only well spent but that needs to be spent if SU is to rise back up to a Top 25 program.

Nick Saban is smart enough not to hire him in the first place. Nick Saban would never hire anyone he couldn't control. It is his program he controls everything.
He just hired Lane Kiffin. We'll see whether he can control him in the near future. I don't think anyone can.

A Clockwork Orange said:
How are they spinning it out of control? They're reporting what he said, which was stupid and unique. Most demoted people don't go out in public and say those things. It's worth being reported on. How in the world did we expect this team to have discipline, when it's obvious at least one coordinator has no discipline of his own?

Because the tweets and retweets don't completely reflect the actual interview because they have no context.

Because the tweets and retweets don't completely reflect the actual interview because they have no context.
please provide the missing context that changes anything

10670022_707822295968323_8684969979590866939_n.jpg

He just hired Lane Kiffin. We'll see whether he can control him in the near future. I don't think anyone can.

Then Lane Kiffin will not be around. It is Saban's way or the highway.

Millhouse said:
please provide the missing context that changes anything

You can listen to the interview yourself.

imo he is vastly over rated. I know we were never pulling 4 stars in, but afraid to lose McDonald because he is some ace recruiter is ridiculous. Whoever we had recruiting down there could have pulled those guys. I am not worried about losing him one bit.

Estime - Fell into our lap. Nobody would take him because he was an academic risk. He had no other options.

Ish - Took officials to Illinois, Pitt, and Louisville. We have beat all those schools before. I'll give him Ish though he is his best recruit.

Edouard - Let's see if he actually makes it here.

Avant - Has yet to prove anything yet, and is another academic risk that fell into our lap after he got qualified late and everyone elses classes were full.

Cordy - He's 5'8 didn't take anything special to get him

McDonald's pull this year is all 2 star kids with no other offers. Sorry, but to labeled a "great" recruiter you better be bringing in kids that we wouldn't normally get. Not to mention all of this is with brand new facilities.

Shafer's relationships is how we got Eskridge. Shafer also got Desir who was just as highly rated a recruit as Ishmael, even better at places. James Washington was a solid pull at the time, didn't pan out. Whigham is going to be a 4 year contributor and 2 year starter.

imo the best recruiter we have right now (results wise) is our new OC Tim Lester.

How times have changed. It was less than one year ago you were touting him as the best recruiter we have and how he was going to change the dynamic for this program in S. Florida. He could get players and athletes we could never pull before. S. Florida recruiting is all about relationships with HS programs and coaches and is a business and he has those contacts and relationships. Syracuse needed to lock him and Eric White up long term, blah, blah, blah.

One year later and he's a bum. Nice. Good stuff.

I'm not sure many of us think of GMD as a bum but question his reactions. They do not aid the program moving forward, the players, the coaches. I am curious as to how this really leaked out as since it was a couple days later. I really don't think it was HCSS. That would likely have come immediately. Also question GMD originally saying he was blind sided and then going as far to make a point (literally) that he got the news in a phone call when that actually did not happen. Again HCSS did not respond to this and I think that may leed to creedence that he may have been trying to keep this behind closed doors, just saying a possiblity. Clearly there is more than meets the eye to this. Who's to say GMD was not taliking to other teams, already looking to other job prospects. Lets face it he hasn't really brought in a recruit, and we do have room for another 4 -6 in a long time. Rumors he frooze in the booth calling play/s against the Cardinals, pointing out players flaws, mishaps in specific plays and audibles is not professional. You never put the player on the defense to have to explain themselves. They are kids. Even GMD apology was backed up with him again defending himself on the job he was doing. He thought he was improving siting numbres of offensive ratings tot he runa nd pass game. Someone that can't or refuses to see the real picture reallyu is not someone that is likely to learn from mistakes and progress. I wish i could believe now, that he is on board and dedicated to helping but I for one don't see that. I wish he would simply agree to step aside on his own because I would hate to see him hurt further this coaching staff, progam and the kids involved.

Has nothing to do with context at all. Nothing at all to do with context. Context means nothing.

SUFan44 said:
Has nothing to do with context at all. Nothing at all to do with context. Context means nothing.

Listen to the interview and then read the texts. Then tell me it doesn't come across a bit different. Even though the words in the tweets are pretty much the same.

Listen to the interview and then read the texts. Then tell me it doesn't come across a bit different.

The lack of context of the tweets has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I honestly don't think they need context. When you say you were blindsided, and would have stayed at Arkansas if you knew you'd only get 18 games in the first two minutes of the interview, not much context is needed. I watched the interview and got the same thing out of it. He spoke in a way that is childish and idiotic. Voice inflection and body language didn't mean anything. His words and actions spoke much louder.

Very little in the realm of human relations where context is unimportant.

Very little in the realm of human relations where context is unimportant.

The guy was upset and was doing an interview with the media after he had been demoted. Strike one (a big one, I might add).

The guy said directly that he would not have come to Syracuse if he would have known he would be demoted in 18 months. Strike two.

The guy said he has received texts from numerous people in the football world saying he's not as bad as Syracuse thinks he is, insinuating that he was getting a raw deal and shouldn't have been demoted. Strike three. OUT. Not to mention there were strikes 4, 5 and 6 if I really dissected the interview.

I don't need any context and don't need to listen to the guy's tone to know that if those words - or any variation of those words that I paraphrased above - were dictated out of his mouth, he's a complete buffoon. I could stay calm, cool and collected while I completely destroying any credibility I have as a coach, too. Just give me a shot.

Context has NOTHING to do with this.

How times have changed. It was less than one year ago you were touting him as the best recruiter we have and how he was going to change the dynamic for this program in S. Florida. He could get players and athletes we could never pull before. S. Florida recruiting is all about relationships with HS programs and coaches and is a business and he has those contacts and relationships. Syracuse needed to lock him and Eric White up long term, blah, blah, blah.

One year later and he's a bum. Nice. Good stuff.

Didn't know opinions can't change? What's better should I stick by something I didn't think true just to save face? Even our head coach had a change of heart. And what did I say about Eric White? He does great things for this program. So ya keep him around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom