McDonald | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

That's not what is being insinuated here.

I think you are referring to sarcasm.

Also - There aren't too many of us on this board that insinuate anything. Most of us pretty much speak our mind regardless of how ridiculous our thoughts may be.

SUFan44 said:
Last try here - so please follow along. "Otherwise, we'd be equipped with complex facial and body languages to provide extra information about what we're saying." This was the quote from the post by TheCusian. This is what I was referring to as "this is not what is being insinuated". McDonald's facial expressions and body language add nothing to the words he said, and change nothing about the words he said. He wasn't being sarcastic, he wasn't making any innuendos that were only able to be understood if you saw the interview. Context means nothing in this case. Just because a guy says something "nicer" than it is being perceived on Twitter doesn't mean it he didn't say it. And doesn't mean adding it into the context of the interview changes anything. The guy had two days to deliberate about what he was going to say. He was calculated with his words. If anything, the interview gives me more of a reason to vilify the guy. He's a complete and utter jacka**.

Last try? LOL. Dude, you responded to my posts and I responded back. You're quoting Cusian not me. Try to follow along.

Last try? LOL. Dude, you responded to my posts and I responded back. You're quoting Cusian not me. Try to follow along.

Not even worth my effort anymore. You really should stop being contrarian on every matter.

SUFan44 said:
Not even worth my effort anymore. You really should stop being contrarian on every matter.

And you should stop stalking. What I and others BEFORE me said was that the interview didn't come across the same as the tweets. Nobody said they were defending what cool kid said. Nobody says he was right. Nobody agreed with him. But you want to make it sound that way. What I and others said is pretty darn simple.

I don't get this at all and therefore obviously disagree. How can SU, the athletic department or the football program control whether George McDonald talks to the press in this manner? Shame on everyone? Shame on who other than GMD?

Simple you tell them no interviews or you will be fired.
I believe his demotion was a build up of many things, poor offensive production from the start, play calls often that did not make any sense, no semblance of an attack sequence of plays, then their was the f@@@ it interview that I think really was not appreciated by the powers that be, and finally something happened during the Louisville game that became the final straw.
This guy was given a lot of rope before the axe fell.

I guarantee you that if he had known he only had 18 games to develop a winning offense at SU he would have stayed at Arkansas. Nobody would have done that. He was blindsided and unprepared emotionally. Give the guy a break he is only human. And you have no earthly idea how you would have reacted - none at all. People mouth off all the time and then when faced with similar circumstances understand for the first time how difficult it is. You might have been a worse little bit#h.

He spoke the truth and if that offends you I think that might be your problem and not his. Exactly what did you expect him to do? Oh, I am a POS and Shafer was right to fire me as OC.

He didn't do a good job but many will look at 18 games as unreasonable period to judge given it is Syracuse, which has had only one year of good offense in the last what, 15 years. Remember he was 9-9 or .500, which is the same as Hackett over 4 years.

Marrone's teams were also undisciplined.

Well I, for one, wish he had stayed at wherever he came from last. He was give time enough to show some progression of being able to handle the job given time. He showed no ability to handle the job. It was time for HCSS to cut bait or lose his own job.

Who cares Shafer brought in the same type of So. Fla talent. Whoever was recruiting him for Syracuse would have had just as good of a chance. Even if we do give him credit for Ishmael, that's it. Who else did he get that we don't normally get down there?

You can add our best 2015 CB prospect to that list and the collateral damage of this bad mid-season decision isn't over yet.

Not to mention the decision hasn't provided one net postive impact on the results on the field. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Louie and Bouie said:
You can add our best 2015 CB prospect to that list and the collateral damage of this bad mid-season decision isn't over yet. Not to mention the decision hasn't provided one net postive impact on the results on the field. Food for thought.

WR play has been much better. TD passes are up.

WR play has been much better. TD passes are up.

1-3 on the field with less ypg and ppg (throw in a couple of decommits with strong likelihood of more to follow)and the look of a program without direction and without a necessary solid Fla. recruiter as its become apparent that McDonald will no longer be on the staff after this season.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the decision, how it went down and the results to date have negatively impacted the program this season without a doubt in my mind. I can't wrap my brain around how anyone else could rationally see it any other way. The recruiting fallout may just be beginning unfortunately.

1-3 on the field with less ypg and ppg (throw in a couple of decommits with strong likelihood of more to follow)and the look of a program without direction and without a necessary solid Fla. recruiter as its become apparent that McDonald will no longer be on the staff after this season.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the decision, how it went down and the results to date have negatively impacted the program this season without a doubt in my mind. I can't wrap my brain around how anyone else could rationally see it any other way. The recruiting fallout may just be beginning unfortunately.
So, you're saying it would have been better not to relieve McDonald of the OC duties?

So, you're saying it would have been better not to relieve McDonald of the OC duties?

2 of the 3 losses were to FSU and Clemson. We went 1-3 when people were expecting 2-2.

if lester loses out and if there is some inertia keeping him as OC, then yes they would've been better off not relieving mcdonald

mcdonald was a joke. trying lester was fine. but that's all it should've been, a tryout

giving someone an audition where they do not impress yet still keep the job worse than a normal offseason search

Louie and Bouie said:
1-3 on the field with less ypg and ppg (throw in a couple of decommits with strong likelihood of more to follow)and the look of a program without direction and without a necessary solid Fla. recruiter as its become apparent that McDonald will no longer be on the staff after this season. Hindsight is 20/20 but the decision, how it went down and the results to date have negatively impacted the program this season without a doubt in my mind. I can't wrap my brain around how anyone else could rationally see it any other way. The recruiting fallout may just be beginning unfortunately.

I agree to an extent. But hindsight is 20/20.

Also - if Shafer was going let him go at the end of the season - the fallout recruiting wise would have been worse with no time to recover until signing day.

You can add our best 2015 CB prospect to that list and the collateral damage of this bad mid-season decision isn't over yet.

Not to mention the decision hasn't provided one net postive impact on the results on the field. Food for thought.

What does that have to do with me saying McDonald has been over rated as a recruiter here at Syracuse?

Millhouse said:
if lester loses out and if there is some inertia keeping him as OC, then yes they would've been better off not relieving mcdonald mcdonald was a joke. trying lester was fine. but that's all it should've been, a tryout giving someone an audition where they do not impress yet still keep the job worse than a normal offseason search

You keep saying that - but a tryout under these circumstances is not a fair shake. At all.

You keep saying that - but a tryout under these circumstances is not a fair shake. At all.
coming back to lester after interviewing multiple candidates in a normal offseason search is still a better outcome than not interviewing anyone and giving a 1.5 season tryout.

Yes and that's been my position throughout. Its not primarily about GMC vs. Lester either (althought. Demoting the OC (primary Fla. recruiter) mid-season at a mid-level program was a bad decision on alot of levels. I believe that the negative consequences of that decision may be felt through February and beyond for this program.

What does that have to do with me saying McDonald has been over rated as a recruiter here at Syracuse?

I thought that since one of the pile ons during the call for demotion/firing was that he instantly became an overrated recruiter was factually inaccurate.

In the short season of 2013 he brought in Estime (one of the only non-JC contributors from that class).

In 2014, he brought in, arguably, the best offensive player on the team currently as well as Dowels (who you were high on previously), Edouard (should be in the mix from the get go if he makes it here) and Cordy.

In 2015, he helped with 6 3-stars and one 2-star including our best CB recruits (one already decommitted, one probable decommit).

All of above was while having the negatives of a struggling program, the distance of Fla - NY, the recent changeover in staff, and being way behind on the facilities front.

If you don't see the recruiting value in having a guy with his network and connections (and what that means behind the scenes) in So. Fla. than I really don't know what to say. Further, to suggest that HCSS take over Florida recruiting as if it would remain the same is nonsense imo. If the staff and/or fanbase thinks they are walking into South Florida high schools with Shafer and Lester holding hands in the future and plucking the talent above, well, good luck with that.

They better dig deep into the Florida football scene to snag a position coach/recruiter in the off-season or just write it off moving forward.

So i guess i posted the recent decommit, who Florida beat writers were very high on and may end up at an SEC school, as an example of what MCD brought to the table despite being overrated. Btw, Spence is probably next so I hope he wasn't talented either.

Yes and that's been my position throughout. Its not primarily about GMC vs. Lester either (althought. Demoting the OC (primary Fla. recruiter) mid-season at a mid-level program was a bad decision on alot of levels. I believe that the negative consequences of that decision may be felt through February and beyond for this program.
Have to agree w/ this. Mcd was a mess but a midseason demotion, especially one that's looking like it's having a minimal effect offense-wise, seems too knee-jerk IMO.
The effect on recruiting is the biggest worry, but overall, just bad form by HCSS. JMHO

Last edited:
Have to agree w/ this. Mcd was a mess but a midseason demotion, especially one that's looking like it's having a minimal affect offense-wise, seems too knee-jerk IMO.
The effect on recruiting is the biggest worry, but overall, just bad form by HCSS. JMHO

Ever think that it wasn't HCSS's choice to announce publicly the demotion? Ever think it was George McDonald himself that went to the press with this information?

Name the 5 star or 4 star recruits that McDonald has signed. Yup, none. We got 3 star guys from Florida with McDonald and we'll keep getting them without McDonald.

Name the 5 star or 4 star recruits that McDonald has signed. Yup, none. We got 3 star guys from Florida with McDonald and we'll keep getting them without McDonald.
5 star to Syracuse?

No "recruiter" will do that. Wins do that.

Ishmael. People aren't realizing that we DO not get 5 stars. McD is considered a good recruiter because he can find talent and get talent down south. (See Steve Ishmael)

I thought that since one of the pile ons during the call for demotion/firing was that he instantly became an overrated recruiter was factually inaccurate.

In the short season of 2013 he brought in Estime (one of the only non-JC contributors from that class).

In 2014, he brought in, arguably, the best offensive player on the team currently as well as Dowels (who you were high on previously), Edouard (should be in the mix from the get go if he makes it here) and Cordy.

In 2015, he helped with 6 3-stars and one 2-star including our best CB recruits (one already decommitted, one probable decommit).

All of above was while having the negatives of a struggling program, the distance of Fla - NY, the recent changeover in staff, and being way behind on the facilities front.

If you don't see the recruiting value in having a guy with his network and connections (and what that means behind the scenes) in So. Fla. than I really don't know what to say. Further, to suggest that HCSS take over Florida recruiting as if it would remain the same is nonsense imo. If the staff and/or fanbase thinks they are walking into South Florida high schools with Shafer and Lester holding hands in the future and plucking the talent above, well, good luck with that.

They better dig deep into the Florida football scene to snag a position coach/recruiter in the off-season or just write it off moving forward.

So i guess i posted the recent decommit, who Florida beat writers were very high on and may end up at an SEC school, as an example of what MCD brought to the table despite being overrated. Btw, Spence is probably next so I hope he wasn't talented either.

I stand by my comment that McDonald has been a disappointment as a recruiter during his short time here. Even with that I still didn't want an in-season demotion. That was just stupid. I also never said Shafer should take over So Florida recruiting. I said Shafer arguably brought in just as many talented kids as our great recruiter George McDonald. Estime fell into our lap. Ishmael was a good pull, but doesn't change the fact we beat out Illinois, Pitt, Cincinatti, and Louisville for him. I still feel Dowels will be a player. And half of his commits from this year have already decommited. So where are these great returns? I am fine with them bringing in someone like Casullo to recruit So Florida at this point.

Ishmael. People aren't realizing that we DO not get 5 stars. McD is considered a good recruiter because he can find talent and get talent down south. (See Steve Ishmael)

Trust me I understand we don't get 5 stars. Hell there are only 20 five stars each class. So because McDonald got Ishamel he is a great recruiter? I'm not saying he is below average, but he has yet to live up to his expectations as a top 20 national recruiter imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom