McDonald | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

Fair enough ! I just think expectations were way to high for him (on the recruiting trail)
Trust me I understand we don't get 5 stars. Hell there are only 20 five stars each class. So because McDonald got Ishamel he is a great recruiter? I'm not saying he is below average, but he has yet to live up to his expectations as a top 20 national recruiter imo.

Fair enough ! I just think expectations were way to high for him (on the recruiting trail)

Well that's kind of my point. He hasn't lived up to those expectations on the recruiting trail, and certainly not enough in order to validate offering him the OC position. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and it was probably worth the gamble. It just looks like the gamble has blown up in our face.

he is an above average recruiter with good south florida connections that's it. Its much easier to be a top 20 recruiter when your at Miami and Stanford then Syracuse though

This thread is still going? Really?!?

Why does anyone care? If McDonald were THE problem and demoting him improved the squad, then I might understand it.

But really, the entire coaching staff is mid-major and quite frankly, relatively stinks in terms of P5 standards. I doubt they could or would win the American Conference even if they were to stay together sans McDonald the next three years. I guess you really do get what you pay for. Thank god for WF.

Cheers,
Neil

Looks like we may have traded up in a 2 for 1. If this turns into a positive well i just don't know. Beat Duke this weekend and two weeks of smiles.

omniorange said:
This thread is still going? Really?!? Why does anyone care? If McDonald were THE problem and demoting him improved the squad, then I might understand it. But really, the entire coaching staff is mid-major and quite frankly, relatively stinks in terms of P5 standards. I doubt they could or would win the American Conference even if they were to stay together sans McDonald the next three years. I guess you really do get what you pay for. Thank god for WF. Cheers, Neil

Even the defensive guys? We're 38 in total D.

Even the defensive guys? We're 38 in total D.
not accusing omniorange of this but syracuse fans watching syracuse and the nfl and nothing else never give the defense enough credit. they'll think of 350 allowed yards as ordinary and complain about some long drive here or there when they needed a 3 and out when that's not how college football works

not accusing omniorange of this but syracuse fans watching syracuse and the nfl and nothing else never give the defense enough credit. they'll think of 350 allowed yards as ordinary and complain about some long drive here or there when they needed a 3 and out when that's not how college football works

Exactly. It takes a great defense to make some of these teams look like us on offense ;).

Exactly. It takes a great defense to make some of these teams look like us on offense ;).
ha that's true. when syracuse makes up 75% of the college football that you watch (especially among people who go to every game), you really could miss a lot of what's happening out there

go to a game, get home, watch Alabama demolish someone at night for a half hour, go to bed, watch NFL all day.

the best SU fans probably aren't watching as much college football as people like me who is good for a game or two a year

ha that's true. when syracuse makes up 75% of the college football that you watch (especially among people who go to every game), you really could miss a lot of what's happening out there

go to a game, get home, watch Alabama demolish someone at night for a half hour, go to bed, watch NFL all day.

the best SU fans probably aren't watching as much college football as people like me who is good for a game or two a year

If you watch one game a weekend, outside of SU/NFL - make it Baylor, TCU, Oregon - or even - gulp - WVU. I can't think of what one of those offenses looks like with our D.

Call me crazy but I don't think 1.5 seasons is a fair sample size to judge a recruiter let alone an offense. ESPECIALLY at Syracuse University.

Well that's kind of my point. He hasn't lived up to those expectations on the recruiting trail, and certainly not enough in order to validate offering him the OC position. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and it was probably worth the gamble. It just looks like the gamble has blown up in our face.

IMO, McDonald is a top 20 recruiter.

I don't think Ishmael, Dowels or Edouard come to Syracuse without him.

I think the overall product Syracuse offers is one of the worst for Power 5 conference teams and significantly hampers recruiting.

If you went into this and expected McDonald to pull 4 stars out of Florida on top of being OC, your expectations are off.

In 2014, of the Florida top 100 (according to Rivals), only 12 went to what I would consider cold weather destinations and Cuse got one of them. Only the top 50 were 4 stars or better in Florida according to that and we aren't beating Michigan State, Ohio State or Penn State consistently for recruits:

12 - Mason Cole (Michigan)
19 - Johnnie Dixon (Ohio State)
27 - Madre London (Michigan State)
28 - Michael O'Connor (Penn State)
38 - T.C. Harrell (Michigan State)
75 - Jacob Kraut (Rutgers)
76 - Deion Hallmon (Northern Illinois)
79 - Deionte Gaines (Colorado State)
88 - Josh Hicks (Rutgers)
90 - Edouard (Syracuse)
91 - Amani Oruwariye (Penn State)
100 - Greg Gooch (Indiana)

I think the overall product Syracuse offers is one of the worst for Power 5 conference teams and significantly hampers recruiting.

If you went into this and expected McDonald to pull 4 stars out of Florida on top of being OC, your expectations are off.

In 2014, of the Florida top 100 (according to Rivals), only 12 went to what I would consider cold weather destinations and Cuse got one of them. Only the top 50 were 4 stars or better in Florida according to that and we aren't beating Michigan State, Ohio State or Penn State consistently for recruits:

90 - Edouard (Syracuse)

So Minnesota is an easier place to recruit to? And that's when they were still playing in the freakin MetroDome. That's when he earned his top 20 recruiting ranking.

So Minnesota is an easier place to recruit to? And that's when they were still playing in the freakin MetroDome. That's when he earned his top 20 recruiting ranking.

At that time? Yes and not even close. Minnesota had been to 6 straight bowl games in that time. Big Ten had a much better in that timeframe then the ACC does now. Then they went 1-11 in Brewster's first year (which was a poor recruiting year for McDonald). Then they went 7-6 in 98 and built that positive momentum into him pulling in some big time WR's that year.

When was the last time Syracuse was in the top 25? An entire generation of recruits grew up with Syracuse as a laughingstock. It will take awhile to get out of the hole Robinson made and restore public perception.

Taking a break during lunch and vaguely remembered this thread and am glad I was able to find it.

It's fun looking back at where we were compared to where we are now and where we think we're headed. Also fun knowing this guy is going to be an OC in our division. That also makes me happy.

90 - Edouard (Syracuse)
This is good information and I appreciate your research.

If McDonald recruited kids who were fully qualified, I would agree with your assessment. However, a disturbing number of them didn't. I think it is a lot easier to sign highly regarded kids when their transcript is a mess and their chances of qualifying are low. The smart recruiters don't waste their time on the kids who are not going to make it.

Since I love a 4 year old thread bump... someone tell me who McFit recruited during his SU tenure and how have those players panned out? I'll hang up and listen!

Since I love a 4 year old thread bump... someone tell me who McFit recruited during his SU tenure and how have those players panned out? I'll hang up and listen!
Ish

My favorite part of this thread was the one poster who was so vocal about McDonald's emotional instability (he was right) only to leave the board in a series of emotional meltdowns a while later.

Also, McDonald is the worst. And it's interesting to see how many people (not a lot, but more than zero) had given up on Shafer halfway through his second season.

Taking a break during lunch and vaguely remembered this thread and am glad I was able to find it.

It's fun looking back at where we were compared to where we are now and where we think we're headed. Also fun knowing this guy is going to be an OC in our division. That also makes me happy.
I missed it. Is getting promoted at NC State?

He recruited one guy?!

One guy who actually made it to campus, and actually did something when he got there.

All of the other "great McF-it recruits" either were non-qualifiers, or did nada when they arrived.

Which is BIG part of why FHCSMFS's recruiting rankings needed to be taken with a 5lb bag of salt -
the "best" recruits from each and every class of his, never actually made it to school, so those rankings were all smoke and mirrors, at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom