McDonald's AAs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald's AAs

They're gonna be tough. What's their mascot?
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

I also grew up in Binghamton. Class of ‘95! I went to all those tournaments at the Arena. Charles Gelatt, Bobby Lazor, always loved when Christ the King came. Tollentine came often too.

I remember I got in my younger days crushed that King Rice didn’t go to SU! I was so mad at my sister for not giving her best to get him there lol. Cool story though, when Rice was a Sophia at NC, he brought the NC team to practice on a Saturday morning to scrimmage against our high school team. That was a lot of fun but freakin hated NC. Scotty Williams, Rick Fox, etc

I was JC Class of '98.

When Norwich played at JC, I believe we stole Lazor's sneakers. Something really dumb. Then Lazor lit us up. Win some, lose some.

That's crazy that King Rice did that, must have been awesome.

The biggest name I ever remember from the Stop DWI was when Lamar Odom came. I remember thinking he was the next Magic. Can't remember anyone bigger than him (during their time in HS that is).

Um, what?
I went to the same high school King Rice did, my sister was a year behind him but had some of the same friends. I would tell her to tell him to go to Cuse. I was hurt that he choose NC over Cuse. Just curious even with the typo was it that hard to understand what I was saying?

I went to the same high school King Rice did, my sister was a year behind him but had some of the same friends. I would tell her to tell him to go to Cuse. I was hurt that he choose NC over Cuse. Just curious even with the typo was it that hard to understand what I was saying?
I think he was reading innuendo into what you said

Isn’t Benny considered a prep player, therefore not eligible for McD’s?

Isn’t Benny considered a prep player, therefore not eligible for McD’s?
5th year seniors aren't eligible for the MCDAAG. But also there's no game this year so its mostly just bragging rights.

5th year seniors aren't eligible for the MCDAAG. But also there's no game this year so its mostly just bragging rights.
[/QUOTE]
It's pretty much bragging rights anyway the game has become an unwatchable waste of time.

Juwan Howard crushing it on all levels of the program at Mich with ease

I was just going to post the same thing. I was unsure of how he’d do with no head coaching experience following Beilein but he’s absolutely crushing it for sure. One of the smartest things he did was get Martelli on his staff. He’s already got the street cred with recruits by being a member of the Fab 5 (kids do know about it even though it was almost 3 decades ago thanks to ESPN) and being a former teammate of LeBron. He’s doing what Harbough was supposed to do in football.

Phil Martelli and Jim Larranaga were probably both in similar positions after their breakout years respectively, and Larranaga jumped. I dont remember any Martelli offers though.

That is definitely part of it. Morgan Wootten hated prep schools and made sure kids who went to them were not considered for the McDonald’s AA teams. That takes most of all kids who grew up in the NE off the board.

Part is surely the changing demographics of the country. There are a lot more people in the South and the West relative to the Northeast and Midwest than there were 30 years ago.

That said, my gut feeling is there are less great players coming out of the region these days. Maybe it is budget cuts, maybe encroachment from other sports...but the number of great, really good and good players is definitely down.

Just looking locally, for a long while, CNY seemed to produce a very good to great player just about every year. Sometimes more than one. It almost never happens any longer.

I'm late 30's so I can't speak for much before the early/mid 90's. I think CNY turns out a pretty good player every now & again. Over the last ~15 years or so - Triche, DaJuan Coleman, Buddy Boeheim, , Tyler Cavanaugh, Mika Adams Woods, Jai Smith, JJ Starling, Charles Pride* are some recent guys who have either played high level D1 hoops, currently playing, or will be in a couple years. Rautins & Andray Blatche are a little further back. So maybe 1 every couple of years.

From say 1980 to very early 2000's, were there a lot more? Genuinely curious. I can think of guys like Michael Brown, Bernard Blount, Maurice Brown and Greg Paulus off the top of my head who were pre 2005.

*Obviously Pride is not high D1, but I he's having a very solid first couple years at Bryant. And I'm a Liverpool alum (long before Charles though), so I have to put his name in the mix!

I'm late 30's so I can't speak for much before the early/mid 90's. I think CNY turns out a pretty good player every now & again. Over the last ~15 years or so - Triche, DaJuan Coleman, Buddy Boeheim, , Tyler Cavanaugh, Mika Adams Woods, Jai Smith, JJ Starling, Charles Pride* are some recent guys who have either played high level D1 hoops, currently playing, or will be in a couple years. Rautins & Andray Blatche are a little further back. So maybe 1 every couple of years.

From say 1980 to very early 2000's, were there a lot more? Genuinely curious. I can think of guys like Michael Brown, Bernard Blount, Maurice Brown and Greg Paulus off the top of my head who were pre 2005.

*Obviously Pride is not high D1, but I he's having a very solid first couple years at Bryant. And I'm a Liverpool alum (long before Charles though), so I have to put his name in the mix!
Lazarus Sims, Jason Buchanan(St John’s), Marcus Douthit (Providence), Ben Cronin(Mich.) Dayshaun Wright, Howard Triche,are a few others I can think of who played major D-1 ball in those years.

Lazarus Sims, Jason Buchanan(St John’s), Marcus Douthit (Providence), Ben Cronin(Mich.) Dayshaun Wright, Howard Triche,are a few others I can think of who played major D-1 ball in those years.

I meant to put Z Sims in there then got pre-occupied with something else. Forgot about Cronin and didn't even know about Buchanan & Douthit.

I meant to put Z Sims in there then got pre-occupied with something else. Forgot about Cronin and didn't even know about Buchanan & Douthit.
Douthit went to prep school, I can’t remember how early on though. He’s a Syracuse native though.

I was watching Marquette-North Carolina and one of Marquette’s players was from Syracuse, NY.
Symir Torrence.

I didn’t even know a kid from Syracuse was a top 100 recruit and don’t remember recruiting him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom