McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member

No it wasn't: Linky

Yup, I just read that it wasn't. They may not have been in favor, but they still need to write a fat check if they wanted out. The ND move is going to settle things down for a looong time.

Yup, I just read that it wasn't. They may not have been in favor, but they still need to write a fat check if they wanted out. The ND move is going to settle things down for a looong time.

ACC schools are now going to be making about the same per year as those in the Big 12 and Pac-12, and more than the SEC. Why would someone leave? Spite?

images

ACC schools are now going to be making about the same per year as those in the Big 12 and Pac-12, and more than the SEC. Why would someone leave? Spite?

images

Absolutely agree, It ain't happening Jerry

I will make this clearer for everyone. Let's say today's date is Saturday February 23, 2015. The following ACC games will be played:

UNC @ GA Tech
Duke @ Clemson
NC St @ FSU
Wake @ Miami
ND @ MD
BC @ VT
Pitt @ UVA
SU

So who the hell is SU playing that Saturday?

Just like the nine-team Big East before Miami joined, teams will probably squeeze in a non-conference game when they have a free weekend. Like this: http://www.orangehoops.org/GameResults/G1989-1990.htm

Couldn't ND just schedule their 6 traditional rivalry opponents in alternating years, i.e. Michigan, Navy, Mich St, Year 1, Purdue, USC, Stanford, Year 2...then continuously alternate that. Then they'd be able to play a 9 game conference schedule and also play 3 of their rivalry opponents every year OOC.

Seems very doable if they want to be a full conference member.

There's your money phrase. They don't want it. They will have to be forced into it, kicking and screaming.

Couldn't ND just schedule their 6 traditional rivalry opponents in alternating years, i.e. Michigan, Navy, Mich St, Year 1, Purdue, USC, Stanford, Year 2...then continuously alternate that. Then they'd be able to play a 9 game conference schedule and also play 3 of their rivalry opponents every year OOC.

From the ND point of view, they would only get their traditional foes at home once every four years.

I have a feeling the AD's will vote to go back to playing 8 league games instead of 9. I saw it floated around today, it only makes more sense. 8 conference games and 1 game against ND makes more sense then 9 conference games and 1 ND game.

From the ND point of view, they would only get their traditional foes at home once every four years.

That's the price you pay for the stability of a conference.

5 games is a big step for them. Full membership will happen, I give it 5 years tops.

Just got back from Notre Dame board and many over there, feel this is a runup to full membership. Many more then ever before feel it would be best for Notre Dame to be all in. Much less talk of Notre Dame will always be independent.

So can someone point me to all the blog posts and tweets that told us this news would be coming today? You know, the ones from all those insiders who know everything that's happening in every athletic department and league office in the country.

Anyone?

Bueller?

images

It's been on twitter for a couple days and the rumor of it happening, with no specific date, has been there for months.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It's been on twitter for a couple days and the rumor of it happening, with no specific date, has been there for months.

Yeah, lots of people knew talks have been ongoing. But none of the usual dopey suspects tweeted out their typical tripe about "Press conference at 2pm Wednesday, done deal."

I have a feeling the AD's will vote to go back to playing 8 league games instead of 9. I saw it floated around today, it only makes more sense. 8 conference games and 1 game against ND makes more sense then 9 conference games and 1 ND game.

ACC's media deal is built on an expectation of a 9 game schedule. Less inventory would not be smiled upon, methinks.

Yeah, lots of people knew talks have been ongoing. But none of the usual dopey suspects tweeted out their typical tripe about "Press conference at 2pm Wednesday, done deal."

Correct on that.

Wrong the Dude of WV said this will shove FSU out the door...and his buddy MHVer siad FSU and Clemson voted against the exit fee increase. Can't beleive people still listen to these guys.

Yes, this is all part of a complex, ingenious plan by the Big 12 to get FSU, Clemson, GT and Miami to leave the ACC and then ND who is also part of this ingenious plan will also declare it is joining the Big 12.

They all want to be in a division with WVU.

On the basketball "bye" issue, I'm thinking we'll have our date to play one of Georgetown, 'Nova, or St. John's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACC's media deal is built on an expectation of a 9 game schedule. Less inventory would not be smiled upon, methinks.
How about two 8-team divisions, with only divisional games counting in the standings for the conference championship game? Play all 7 other teams in your division, plus two cross-divisional games to fulfill the terms of the deal. ND wasn't part of that deal, so they wouldn't be required to play those two extra games (though they could choose to).

Option B: Adding two teams would increase the overall inventory, which could allow the 9 games to be dropped by one or two.

However they do it, I'd imagine that incorporating ND is a re-opener anyway.