McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member

Will ND get a full share of conference revenue even though football is technically not included? I read an interesting post on the Boneyard that theorized that ND asked for a full share from the BE, was rebuffed, and was able to get a full share from the ACC. The post was based on a conversation with someone that does business with Notre Dame and the BE. The post is long and I include a link below, but here's the part I thought interesting:

"He said that Notre Dame wanted a full football share of the upcoming Big East TV deal. They were told by the new commish that they will be treated just like the other non-football schools and would get the non-football share only. This is a significant shift in the tone and message from Big East leadership with the new commish from the relationship they used to have with the conference powers. Notre Dame insisted that they get the full football share, but he BE was not backing down.

Therefore, Notre Dame had discussion with the ACC and were given the money they were looking for from the BE by the ACC for their non-football membership. This move had to have been "assisted" by ESPN...as they are the ones who will have agreed to give the ACC the extra money to pay ND given the ACC contract. This is just another attempt to weaken the BE and eliminate quality content for competitors."

Link

ESPN will eventually land in court for killing the Big East.

was curious to see which ACC teams ND has played and how many times. i picked 1970 as a random start point. will be interesting to see how those games are doled out. will they play BC and Miami every year and spread the rest around? not 100% sure this is right, did it very fast

Opponent gm
Pittsburgh 31
Boston College 21
Miami (Florida) 20
Georgia Tech 13
North Carolina 4
Syracuse 3
Clemson 2
Maryland 2
Duke 1
North Carolina State 1
Virginia 1
Wake Forest 1

Surprised they have played Pitt so much. I thought for sure that BC would be the most common opponent among the ACC members.

Surprised they have played Pitt so much. I thought for sure that BC would be the most common opponent among the ACC members.

Let's be clear, BC is a very common opponent for anyone.

;)

Good to see McMurphy is hanging in there after his therapy sessions with Nurse Ratched and electroshock therapy.

Byes? This is hoops. What are you talking about?

I will make this clearer for everyone. Let's say today's date is Saturday February 23, 2015. The following ACC games will be played:

UNC @ GA Tech
Duke @ Clemson
NC St @ FSU
Wake @ Miami
ND @ MD
BC @ VT
Pitt @ UVA
SU

So who the hell is SU playing that Saturday?

Um how do 15 teams play every Saturday? It is the same reason why the AL has 14 teams and NL has 16 teams.

So I think some of the teams will just have to schedule 1 out of conference game during the heart of the ACC season. We've played OOC games during conference season in the past (Kentucky in the Dome comes to mind).

I think it would be much easier to work around it that way then to add a 16th team and make less money per team.

I will make this clearer for everyone. Let's say today's date is Saturday February 23, 2015. The following ACC games will be played:

UNC @ GA Tech
Duke @ Clemson
NC St @ FSU
Wake @ Miami
ND @ MD
BC @ VT
Pitt @ UVA
SU

Why does the ACC need to schedule everyone on the same day?

There's a 15 team BE this year, they still figured it out. No big deal.

Why does the ACC need to schedule everyone on the same day?

OMG. Everyone plays either Saturday or Sunday correct? Well move 2 of those 7 games to Sunday. Everyone but SU has an opponent for the weekend. Unless you expect a team to play Saturday and then play SU Sunday.

UNC @ GA Tech
Duke @ Clemson
NC St @ FSU
Wake @ Miami
ND @ MD
BC @ VT
Pitt @ UVA
SU

Are you kidding? Look at the current Big East schedule. Not every team plays every date. There are games on Sat., Mon., Wed, Thurs, and Sun after pro football ends. I will give you that most everyone plays a Saturday or Sunday game, but that's where OOC games can come in. But I get your point now. I just don't think it will be a big deal.

OMG. Everyone plays either Saturday or Sunday correct? Well move 2 of those 7 games to Sunday. Everyone but SU has an opponent for the weekend. Unless you expect a team to play Saturday and then play SU Sunday.

They generally do, but as Chip notes, all it takes is making sure every ACC team has an OOC opponent or two on deck to play a weekend game in Jan/Feb and they can easily figure out the schedule.

There's a 15 team BE this year, they still figured it out. No big deal.

Correct and SU has two open periods. We play 1/12 and 1/19 (no game midweek) and it happens again 1/26 and 2/2 (no game midweek).

Correct and SU has two open periods. We play 1/12 and 1/19 (no game midweek) and it happens again 1/26 and 2/2 (no game midweek).

So then why are you stressing about this?

Are you kidding? Look at the current Big East schedule. Not every team plays every date. There are games on Sat., Mon., Wed, Thurs, and Sun after pro football ends. I will give you that most everyone plays a Saturday or Sunday game, but that's where OOC games can come in. But I get your point now. I just don't think it will be a big deal.

Look at last year's BE schedule and tell me how many teams went an ENTIRE weekend without a game. Then take a look at this year's schedule and tell me the same thing. It is NOT MATHEMATICALLY POSSIBLE for 15 schools to all play the same weekend. The is no arguing this.

SU was taken care of with the BE schedule having zero gameless weekends. Ten other BE schools cannot same the same thing. It isn't a big deal but do you want years where we have no game an entire weekend? Is that not a "bye"?

SU was taken care of with the BE schedule having zero gameless weekends. Ten other BE schools cannot same the same thing. It isn't a big deal but do you want years where we have no game an entire weekend? Is that not a "bye"?

Well it's definitely not a bye, it's just a quirk in the schedule. Honestly it doesn't bother me any if we don't have a weekend game. I've never really thought of college hoops as a weekend sport. More of an anytime sport.

So I think some of the teams will just have to schedule 1 out of conference game during the heart of the ACC season. We've played OOC games during conference season in the past (Kentucky in the Dome comes to mind).

I think it would be much easier to work around it that way then to add a 16th team and make less money per team.

That can certainly be done but it isn't ideal which was my original point. That and the other school needs an open date as well, which is up to the other conference.

Um how do 15 teams play every Saturday? It is the same reason why the AL has 14 teams and NL has 16 teams.
Easy. Notre Dame gets to play with itself. NBC execs would love it; probably cure erectile dysfunction and male pattern baldness.*

*Note: the author in no way intends to slight the issues of erectile dysfunction or male pattern baldness.

That can certainly be done but it isn't ideal which was my original point. That and the other school needs an open date as well, which is up to the other conference.

It's definitely not ideal, but it's better than the alternative of 16 schools and making less money. Each school that has to participate in a given year (9 or 10 of the 15) should move one of the cupcakes out to Jan/Feb. The cupcake will make sure their schedule is open for you on that date.

Exactly...not a bad thing to have a few midweek slots go away...The players might benefit more academically not to miss those classes. The season is long and a few off days midweek I see as a positive.

Not another hybrid conference, please!!!
We crossed that bridge already...I'm not talking 8 teams...I'm talking 2 teams from the all star BB side and no more Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, etc...

I would, if I was.

ND going to the Big10 or going to the ACC means the whole thing going. Not the hybrid we have now.

I know it sounds "lawyerly", but it isn't.

Answer this question: Is Notre Dame going to now be in the ACC?

The choices are:

1. No
2. Yes
3. Partially in and partially out.

You can see that both "1. Yes" and "2. No" are incorrect.

Forget this voting nonsense. Where do the teams play?

Your politician like rhetoric reminds me of this funny scene from Johnny Dangerously...the farging trick question scene...starting around the 1:00 mark... :rolling:

UNC @ GA Tech
Duke @ Clemson
NC St @ FSU
Wake @ Miami
ND @ MD
BC @ VT
Pitt @ UVA
SU

Rutgers from the Patriot League