McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member

Cuseman78

All Conference
Notre Dame will join ACC as full member w/exception of football. ND will play 5 football games annually vs. ACC, sources told @ESPN

ND will join as soon as they can exit the Big East.

Seems legit, just got my ESPN text about it too.

Aurrgh. Again we get eveyrthing except football. Maybe it means that they will eventually come for football as well if they are going to play 5 ACC teams. I think they will have to bring in another team and that could be between Rutgers and Connecticut. Huskies, please!

The 9 month rumor finally happens.

Not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully it comes with something about ND becoming a full member at some point based upon some sort of criteria related to the landscape.

Next move will now be bringing in UConn.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sucks that ND is part of ACC non BCS Bowls. However exit fee now over $50 million. Wow.

In Swofford we trust.

In addition to extending an invitation to Notre Dame, the Council of Presidents voted to increase the conference exit fees to three times the annual operating budget. Currently this would equate to an exit fee of over $50 million.

In addition to extending an invitation to Notre Dame, the Council of Presidents voted to increase the conference exit fees to three times the annual operating budget. Currently this would equate to an exit fee of over $50 million.

ah, guess no one is going anywhere... :)

So much for all the posts from folks who said it would NEVER happen (ND going to ACC). .

Really tired with all of this partial business with ND. Thought we got away from it. They are one of the reasons why the big east collapsed. Not the sole reason, but if they went into the Sun Beast as full members it would still be standing. That's what drives me nuts about their holier than thou schtick. If they come, does the ACC take 1 additional or 2? 1 leaves uneven divisions for football. 2 for all other sports.

Aurrgh. Again we get eveyrthing except football. Maybe it emans that thye will eventually come for football as well if they are going to play 5 ACC teams. I think they will have to bring in another team and that could be between Rutgers and Connecticut. Huskies, please!
or you add Villanova, Georgetown or SJU

F the academics...invite Louisville in as a full member, invite UConn as a full member, invite Villanova as a partial member

Done, screw GTown
16/18 hybrid

If ND plays 5 football games against ACC teams, wouldn't that prevent them from playing in the Orange Bowl .. .against one of the same ACC teams?

Notre Dame will join ACC as full member w/exception of football. ND will play 5 football games annually vs. ACC, sources told @ESPN
Here is the money quote from Swarbrick:

"We have monitored the changing conference landscape for many months and have concluded that moving to the ACC is the best course of action for us," said Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame Vice President and Director of Athletics. "We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package, and provide a new and extremely competitive home for our other sports."

Looks like ND got everything they wanted. I wouldn't hold my breath re: ND FB (right, Mike Tranghese?). The ACC is going to a 9-game schedule as of next year, and ND has more than 3 traditional opponents--Navy, USC, MSU, Purdue, Stanford, Mich.

If ND plays 5 football games against ACC teams, wouldn't that prevent them from playing in the Orange Bowl .. .against one of the same ACC teams?
I see this leading to a very convuluted Orange Bowl scenario

If I am the ACC I now petition the NCAA to allow for three divisions of six. If it is passed then the ACC can add Louisville, UConn, and Rutgers to get to 18. That finishes off the BE completely. ND can be a full member in a division yet play only 5 ACC games, while everyone else plays 8 or 9.

Ok, so what would be the next domino to fall that would force them into full membership in the ACC? Anyone see it?

Really tired with all of this partial business with ND. Thought we got away from it. They are one of the reasons why the big east collapsed. Not the sole reason, but if they went into the Sun Beast as full members it would still be standing. That's what drives me nuts about their holier than thou schtick. If they come, does the ACC take 1 additional or 2? 1 leaves uneven divisions for football. 2 for all other sports.
The ACC is much stronger than the BE...and at most I see it as two partial members

So how many of you still want to be in the BE?

The lacrosse league is going to be amazing, basketball great, and football improving...maybe we can negotiate a 1-1-1 with Notre Dame in Football

The fact that they have to play 5 aCC teams is gigantic. That'll make the ease into full membership painless.

Plus, does this mean the TV deal needs to be renegotiated? And still, regarding the ACC teams ND has to play...the fact that we've played them for years, along with pitt and probably BC (blind guess, but I'd imagine they've played in the past) , those three teams will probably stick on ND's schedule, right?

No matter what, Rutgers needs to be cut out of this deal. They no doubt (or, rather, their fanbase no doubt) is flooding the B1G offices with 911 calls for help.