McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy: ND to join ACC as Partial Member

That can certainly be done but it isn't ideal which was my original point. That and the other school needs an open date as well, which is up to the other conference.
Duke has played on OOC weekend game during Jan/Feb most seasons. Like someone else said, SU has done it in the past. The BE didn't always have an even # of teams. Hell, a lot of conferences don't have even #s and the odd-man out finds another game.

Some of you people can't possibly have any business experience.

Put aside the ND hate for a moment and think this through...

ND is the ONLY school currently not in a Big 5 conference that has ANY significant incremental value. ($$$)

ND has committed to playing 5 ACC football games a year. Other ACC schools play 9. That's 55%. Each of those 5 games will be on TV ($$$) and secure sell out crowds when ACC schools host ($$$).

ND is part of the ACC's bowl package. Bowls love ND because they draw big crowds and strong TV ratings. The ACC now has additional leverage to sign high-value bowl affiliations. ($$$)

ND fits the ACC's academic profile perfectly, and brings a solid program to the best hoops conference in the nation. They also have top-tier Olympic sports -- you may not care, but an athletic league does. (Brand)

I won't hold my breath, but someday if ND decides to join a conference full-time for football, it'll be the ACC ($$$).

The ACC is now without question the premiere east coast athletic conference. (sponsorship $$$)

Honestly, this is a no brainer. You get significant financial value and increased brand strength, all for them playing 5 games a year instead of 9.

:bang:

Bingo, bango, bongo.

It was clear that the administration at FSU and Clemson had no desire to leave the ACC. That conversation was driven by their fanbases and boards of trustees.

Their presidents signing on for a $50 million exit fee is a nifty end around of those constituencies.

Poison pill for the crazys.

By the way, as ND will be playing 5 ACC opponents every year... In the past 5 years ND has played all of 8 games against Big East schools in total (and 5 of those were against Pitt).

The notion that this is the same deal they had with the BE is ludicrous.

Surprised they have played Pitt so much. I thought for sure that BC would be the most common opponent among the ACC members.

Yeah, kind of surprised to see Pitt number one by so much as well.

Mark, the answer is that SU will be playing at Maryland. ND is an OOC game, not a league game.

Or SU will be playing one of the three OOC games that will be on our schedule.

He was talking about hoops.

By the way, as ND will be playing 5 ACC opponents every year... In the past 5 years ND has played all of 8 games against Big East schools in total (and 5 of those were against Pitt).

We'll see.

"Hey, ACC. We're having a helluva time getting our schedule in order. Think we could skip a game this year?"

Where are all these ACC ND games going to be played, anyway?

We'll see.

"Hey, ACC. We're having a helluva time getting our schedule in order. Think we could skip a game this year?"

Where are all these ACC ND games going to be played, anyway?

Right, because I'm sure this was a handshake agreement that Swofford made with Swarbrick.

:crazy: :bang: :crazy: :bang: :crazy: :bang: :crazy: :bang:

Right, because I'm sure this was a handshake agreement that Swofford made with Swarbrick.

:crazy: :bang: :crazy: :bang: :crazy: :bang: :crazy: :bang:

Yeah, because contracts are never renegotiated...

So will an ACC member game count as a league game or not? With a 9 game schedule + ND ... a team might only have 2 elective games? Sounds like a difficult schedule, not any wiggle room.
Since we don't play every team in the conference each season, I wouldn't object to the ND game counting in the standings for the ACC team and as one of the 9 conference games to allow a 3rd OOC.

And since it looks like ND is in the ACC bowl alliance, I'd even post the Irish's "league" record in the conference standings - skip a line at the bottom and add them in like they are their own division.

Does this mean our ND series scheduled for games in South Bend and Metlife will be amended and they will be playing us H/H every 3 years. If that is the case this is a HUGE win for SU getting ND at the Dome every 3 years.

Does this mean our ND series scheduled for games in South Bend and Metlife will be amended and they will be playing us H/H every 3 years. If that is the case this is a HUGE win for SU getting ND at the Dome every 3 years.
We will see them at home every 6 years with the ACC arrangement.

Not sure how the Neutral site game in NYC plays into this but I'm guessing our deal will get cancelled.

I think it means we will play ND once every 3 years, and play ND as a home game every 6 years. Whether that home game becomes a game at Met Life dominated by ND fans is something the AD has to decide.

UCONN should call the ACC - hey, we will go independent in FB and come in for all other sports, if you link us and ND together as full members (ie - whn ND comes in, we come in.) - Would be totally awesome BB conference, and move some power toward the north.

I think it means we will play ND once every 3 years, and play ND as a home game every 6 years. Whether that home game becomes a game at Met Life dominated by ND fans is something the AD has to decide.
Dr. Gross better NOT be stupid enough to agree to move this game to Metlife. I was a Fr. in 2003 when Walter Reyes and co. destroyed the Golden Domers in the Carrier Dome and it was the loudest I ever heard the Dome.

We will see them at home every 6 years with the ACC arrangement.

Not sure how the Neutral site game in NYC plays into this but I'm guessing our deal will get cancelled.

From the linked article below:

Syracuse already has four games against Notre Dame in the near future. In 2014 and 2016, Notre Dame will play Syracuse at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. In 2015 and 2017, Notre Dame will host Syracuse in South Bend, Ind. Those games are likely to count toward the 5-game agreement.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/09/syracuse_ad_daryl_gross_reacts.html

So does the non-ACC-related 2-away/2-neutral deal become only a 2-neutral game series? With two games at the Dome to added to balance out the ones already scheduled for South Bend?

Or is the whole thing part of the ACC deal and we gave away our home games?

From the linked article below:

Syracuse already has four games against Notre Dame in the near future. In 2014 and 2016, Notre Dame will play Syracuse at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. In 2015 and 2017, Notre Dame will host Syracuse in South Bend, Ind. Those games are likely to count toward the 5-game agreement.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/09/syracuse_ad_daryl_gross_reacts.html

So does the non-ACC-related 2-away/2-neutral deal become only a 2-neutral game series? With two games at the Dome added to balance out the ones already scheduled for South Bend?

Or is the whole thing part of the ACC deal and we gave away our home games?
I'm hoping that the "those games are likely to count..." statement is in reference to the Away games sentence and not the one before it.

Either way, you'd think our deal with ND would have to be nixed or it would cause significant scheduling issues for everyone invovled as those are every year and not every three like the ACC deal. Either that or we see a whole lot of ND.

Well, they promised the Big East 3 games a year, so they barely made half that number. We'll see if the ACC holds them to their commitment.

Well, they promised the Big East 3 games a year, so they barely made half that number. We'll see if the ACC holds them to their commitment.
ACC gets to schedule the games (right?) so I don't think they will have a choice.

Yeah, because contracts are never renegotiated...

Do you really think schools like Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, etc. are just going to say "Its OK Notre Dame, only play 2 of us, we're cool with that?"

Come on.

A promise is a lot different from a contract.

It's also a lot different to have that promise leak out into the press, never actually confirmed if it was true or, if it was, what the exact timetable and schedule was to be. Vs. having every media outlet in the country today reporting that they're playing 5 games a year against ACC schools.

Do you really think schools like Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, etc. are just going to say "Its OK Notre Dame, only play 2 of us, we're cool with that?"

Come on.

Every contract is negotiable. Wether it be pay-offs, favors (neutral site agreements), whatever. All I'm saying is I won't believe 5 games a year until I see the contract, and what the penalty is for canceling/rescheduling.