McNabb a HOFer? | Syracusefan.com

McNabb a HOFer?

44PRIDE

All Conference
Not the way he's playing tonight... He may not even finish out the season.

I say he gets in and this year isn't the year that would make or break him. He is in the twilight of his career. He also went to the Vikes 2 years too late. BTW, he's 13/17 tonight. The Vikes are hurting tonight due to no run game.

I don't see the last few years effecting him making the HOF. That being said I am just not enough of a football guy to say weather or not he should make the HOF. I say yes because I'm an SU fan and I know they have admitted other very successful QB's that didn't win super bowls.

I hope he is, though that is the result of the 4 years of fun he provided to Syracuse fans. I hear "Donovan McNabb" and a smile comes to my face, and it has nothing to do with his career with the Eagles. Overall, as I Giants fan, I know that for the most part he left me hanging my head on Sundays, so I always have felt like he's been a really good NFL QB from a career perspective.

are you guys seeing the passes he's throwing? Everything is underthrown and in the dirt. Everything is behind the receiver or thrown at their shoestrings. He doesn't give them a chance to make a play.

My feeling before the season was that he was a borderline HOFer and that he needed a breakout year this season. He just hasn't delivered. With the Redskins debacle and this Vikings flop, I just don't see anyone else taking a chance on him after this season.

If he does get into the HOF, it'll be with the Veteran's Committee...a-la Floyd Little.

He's in. Same accuracy issues he has had since he was at SU. Still throws balls low occasionally. Go back and watch highlights of the Eagles teams from the NFC Championship years. He was incredible.

44cuse

are you guys seeing the passes he's throwing? Everything is underthrown and in the dirt. Everything is behind the receiver or thrown at their shoestrings. He doesn't give them a chance to make a play.

My feeling before the season was that he was a borderline HOFer and that he needed a breakout year this season. He just hasn't delivered. With the Redskins debacle and this Vikings flop, I just don't see anyone else taking a chance on him after this season.

If he does get into the HOF, it'll be with the Veteran's Committee...a-la Floyd Little.

The Vikings also have no OL to speak of. Hard to step into the pocket and deliver strikes and lead receivers when you're trying to avoid the sack.

I think McNabb's just short of the HoF. If he had a Super Bowl, he'd be a first ballot. I'd love to see him get in, though.

I just think you are looking at a performance tonight and trying to generalize it across his career. His time with the Redskins and the Vikings is insignificant when compared to his career as an Eagle. Pull the lens out and look at the big picture. I'm not saying he is a lock, I'm just saying you can't throw the game on tonight and glean anything relevant from a career perspective.

Did you see the two passes Berrian dropped that hit him between the numbers. Did you see wehere the coach sent in Joe Webb at QB after Donovan got them a first down and was sent back in after Webb got them to 3rd and 8?
Are you a Syracuse fan for real?

Two passes for 3rd down conversions were dropped by the receivers right in their hands. He had the bad play where he didn't read the blitz and almost threw it right to Chicago though. I turned it - always afraid I'm going to see another bad injury.

That being said, I think he's beat up and the Eagles used him up after years of making him pretty much the entire offense. How long does anyone think Vick will last despite having spent a few years in prison and being 4 years younger? Donovan's most amazing plays were usually on broken ones while he was in motion. The injuries have finished his elusive running days and it has shut down his best asset, the ability to make plays either on the move or playing against defenses that had to play him knowing he could make plays with his feet.

Numerous broken ribs, broken ankle, sprained ankles, chest contusions, sports hernia, torn ACL and meniscus etc have just taken their toll over the years with his game. Wish he'd gone to the tv booth and started a 2nd career ONLY because i don't want to see him injures again.

He's 19/24 with 3 drops. Yes, the other 2 were low. Shoot him. The Viking D, specials, OL and run game have been non-existent tonight. McNabb is the very least of their problems this game.

Are you a Syracuse fan for real?

Oh, I forgot the 11th Commandment..
"Thou shall not use sensible judgement and defame former players lest they have their loyalties questioned."

"Thou shall not use sensible judgement and defame former players lest they have their loyalties questioned."
It's just silly to judge his entire career on what you perceive to be a bad night. He has no receivers and no line and that's been the anthem of his career. Very few QB's have done more with less.

How long does anyone think Vick will last despite having spent a few years in prison and being 4 years younger?

/quote]

I think Andy Reed will get Vick beat to hell way sooner than it took for him to do to McNabb. One of the last coaches any QB wants to play for is Reed IMO.

Vick seems to be one of those players who really can't deal with punishing hits. The guy has some tools, never thought he was a great passer, but when he gets thumped he seems to bruise, break, or strain something.

McNabb had better nubmers than Ponder: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311016003
But this is a 1-5 team and mcNabb is the apst: Ponder is the future. I think they will decide they have to think about the future.

Last week's SI had a good article about Donovan. They interviewed coaches and scouts for the teams that have played the Vikings and they say the physical skill are still there but the offense is different, he had no time to work out in the off season with his new recviers and his confidence is lagging.

Remembering the struggle to get Art monk in the Hall, who should have gotten in on the first ballot, I hesitate to think of the arguments over McNabb.

I think he should be in, if the injuries don't happen he easily has the numbers and maybe even another Super Bowl appearance. But realistically, I don't think he makes it. The city he played in didn't fully appreciate him, and aren't the type to make a push for him post-career IMO. He didn't age well. And whether he SHOULD have had all those numbers or not doesn't help the final line. Hope I'm wrong.

There is certainly a case to be made for him getting in. Truth be told, my gut says he doesn't make it though. Not my personal view of whether he should; rather my guess that he won't.

As Cherie points out above he was used up in Philly. It used to frost me when some dumbass Philly fan would proclaim that he was injury-prone. How many teams make their QB's run like Philly did?

If he buys a ticket he can go to the Hall of Fame. Other than that no chance of him getting voted in

I just think you are looking at a performance tonight and trying to generalize it across his career. His time with the Redskins and the Vikings is insignificant when compared to his career as an Eagle. Pull the lens out and look at the big picture. I'm not saying he is a lock, I'm just saying you can't throw the game on tonight and glean anything relevant from a career perspective.

It's just silly to judge his entire career on what you perceive to be a bad night.

I'm not (nor have I ever) based my judgement on his last two seasons alone. As I said in the above post, I thought he was a borderline HOF'er that needed a comeback year to be a HOF lock. Taking his full body of work into consideration, I don't think McNabb gets in.

I'm not (nor have I ever) based my judgement on his last two seasons alone. As I said in the above post, I thought he was a borderline HOF'er that needed a comeback year to be a HOF lock. Taking his full body of work into consideration, I don't think McNabb gets in.

I think he would be a lock if he had won the superbowl. I think that when there is dissent among SU fans, that's probably not the best sign, but it would not surprise me if he gets in after a long waiting period (a la Little and Monk).

Remember, it's comparative. Donnie has been a very good QB for a decade but there were lots of very good QBs during his time. His contemporaries include P. Manning, Favre and Brady, all of whom are locks and clearly were better players. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers each have a ring and only need one or two more strong seasons to pass him (I think). And someone like Phillip Rivers may end up with a better career too. I don't think there's any way he makes it as much as I like the guy and blame Philly for failing to give him the receivers he needed in his prime. He'll always be better than Akili Smith and Tim Couch though.

Sensible

Sensible judgement? The numbers were given to you,so go sit in a basement with KaiserUEO and you guys can construct your arguments against McNabb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom