McNabb a HOFer? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McNabb a HOFer?

Sensible

Sensible judgement? The numbers were given to you,so go sit in a basement with KaiserUEO and you guys can construct your arguments against McNabb

Rarely do I choose to ignore people. Sir, you have qualified yourself as a flaming idiot worthy of the ignore button.

I obviously love McNabb as an SU fan.

His numbers [to this point in his career, which is still being written] are borderline / right on the cusp, but I feel like he lacks a defining measurable like a SB championship. He epitomizes the good-not-great argument, although I strongly believe that for a time in his career, he was one of the top 4-5 QBs in the league for an extended period.

I also think that last year's debacle in Washington won't necessarily hold him back from HOF contention, but I believe that getting past that blip on his otherwise impressive career necessitates him bouncing back and having a strong couple of final years, building upon the aforementioned numbers. Would have loved for him to have 2-3 really solid years with the Vikings [or whoever] to close out his career, leading them to the playoffs, etc.

One other thing that has nothing to do with any of the opinions expressed above--for whatever reason, McNabb has been a huge lightning rod for controversy throughout his professional career. I've never understood why, because you won't find a classier guy who is less deserving of the negative attention. But in any event, there have been several dust ups in his career that have brought negative attention to him [the injuries, puking in the superbowl, the TO idiocy, the Rush Limbaugh attack, being traded, the Shanahan benching, etc.], and I'm sure that his eventual candidacy for the HOF will be equally controversial.

According to this stat site ProFootballReference.com, McNabb's career is similar to the following players, and as you can see 1/2 of them are in the HOF.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm

Career Mark Brunell, Steve McNair, Terry Bradshaw*, Jim Kelly*, Troy Aikman*, Boomer Esiason, Roger Staubach*, Drew Bledsoe, Ken Stabler, Bob Griese*

And half aren't. Four of the five guys not in didn't win the Super Bowl. Four of the five guys who are in did win a Super Bowl, (11 of them) and the other one played in four of them. I think that will matter a lot.

We went through this exercise in the summer. Using the QB's already in the HOF as a benchmark, and looking at his peer set, I don't think he makes it in.

Oh well, there are worse fates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom