Mcshay on Nassib... | Syracusefan.com

Mcshay on Nassib...

BostonOrange

2nd String
...could he really get drafted?? It is hard for me to imagine him as an NFL QB but certainly rooting for him.

Almost famous

McShay: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
We've typically saved this space for some more obscure, off-the-radar prospects, but this felt like a good week to feature Nassib. He's in the Day 2 range, like Glennon. He's still developing as a passer (he throws too many fastballs) but he has a strong arm and has made some impressive throws under duress this season. He has passed for 579 yards, six TDs and zero INTs in his past two outings (wins over Connecticut and South Florida). The pre-draft process will be key for him, but I think he'll excel when he goes through it. He's really smart and a great student, from what I've heard.

Put in the right situation he could be a decent NFL starting qb. What works for Ryan is that the team that drafts him will do so because they want him/a qb and he won't be forced into a 1st or 2nd round situation where he HAS to play, especially if the oline is below par.

I think if he finishes strong and has a good pro workout someone will end up taking a shot at him.

He has an arm the nfl loves and he's smart. He also is only 6'2" and that hurts. I think they'll love his workout arm wise.

I think he gets drafted and could be a decent backup. I don't see him as an NFL starter but who knows. I think one thing that could hurt him that isn't mentioned is that he isn't that tall. He isn't short but he's not 6-2, 6-3. He might in fact only be 6' maybe a shade over. NFL loves measurable.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think he gets drafted and could be a decent backup. I don't see him as an NFL starter but who knows. I think one thing that could hurt him that isn't mentioned is that he isn't that tall. He isn't short but he's not 6-2, 6-3. He might in fact only be 6' maybe a shade over. NFL loves measurable.

You think he's really that short? I have a tough time judging. He's the only person I've ever seen who looks bigger out of shoulder pads than in.

You think he's really that short? I have a tough time judging. He's the only person I've ever seen who looks bigger out of shoulder pads than in.

I only met him once, a couple years ago. I'm 6'1 maybe 6'1 1/2 at most. I was a bit taller. He is maybe 6'1 at best. He looks big because he is built, but his height isn't a measurable in his favor.

I only met him once, a couple years ago. I'm 6'1 maybe 6'1 1/2 at most. I was a bit taller. He is maybe 6'1 at best. He looks big because he is built, but his height isn't a measurable in his favor.
Did you have your western boots on?

not too mention, as far as fastballs go, that's a big diff with college and NFL receivers... NFL receivers can actually catch fastballs...

He'll be taken in the third or fourth round, maybe even as high as the second depending on how the season pans out. Teams will love his arm and intelligence / work ethic.

If he has an offensive line that can give him great protection, he'll excel.

Did you have your western boots on?

No but he had bigger hair.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

...could he really get drafted?? It is hard for me to imagine him as an NFL QB but certainly rooting for him.

Almost famous

We've typically saved this space for some more obscure, off-the-radar prospects, but this felt like a good week to feature Nassib. He's in the Day 2 range, like Glennon. He's still developing as a passer (he throws too many fastballs) but he has a strong arm and has made some impressive throws under duress this season. He has passed for 579 yards, six TDs and zero INTs in his past two outings (wins over Connecticut and South Florida). The pre-draft process will be key for him, but I think he'll excel when he goes through it. He's really smart and a great student, from what I've heard.

He was looked at as a 5th/6th round draft pick before the season started. He's definitely getting drafted unless he gets injured. Not sure why it's so hard for people to wrap their heads around this. He has experience in a pro-style offense, makes good decisions, and has a good arm for short to medium range throws. Fits pretty much any NFL scheme.

He was looked at as a 5th/6th round draft pick before the season started. He's definitely getting drafted unless he gets injured. Not sure why it's so hard for people to wrap their heads around this. He has experience in a pro-style offense, makes good decisions, and has a good arm for short to medium range throws. Fits pretty much any NFL scheme.
...and he actually made a couple of nice deep throws against USF. I was pleasantly surprised.

...and he actually made a couple of nice deep throws against USF. I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know what changed, but we should remember his RF year he used to come in for Paulus on occassion to run or throw the deep ball.

I don't know what changed, but we should remember his RF year he used to come in for Paulus on occassion to run or throw the deep ball.
Last season, Ryan seemed to always over-throw wr's on deep routes. He put very little air under the ball.

Earlier this year, Ryan seemed to over compensate and put extra loft under the deep ball. Against USF he seemed to hit a nice balance and threw a couple of really nice balls.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around it because I have watched him every week for 3 years and never thought he was that good. Now, he has absolutely improved immensely. And he can absolutely throw the ball. But...he has a couple huge flaws. The biggest being that he just does not feel pressure\buy time in the pocket very well. You need to do that in the NFL. I guess as an NFL evaluator you could say that is teachable, but i'm not really sure it is.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around it because I have watched him every week for 3 years and never thought he was that good. Now, he has absolutely improved immensely. And he can absolutely throw the ball. But...he has a couple huge flaws. The biggest being that he just does not feel pressure\buy time in the pocket very well. You need to do that in the NFL. I guess as an NFL evaluator you could say that is teachable, but i'm not really sure it is.
I think being behind an NFL offensive line might help his pocket presence greatly. If that's his biggest flaw he's in great shape. To be honest if Kellen Clemens is still in the NFL, Nassib can play for a while.

Well, that's because Greg only had s a pop warner girly arm left after breaking falls backwards drawing "charges" Seriously, everyone knew 10 guys in gym class that could throw it farther. Didn't he max at like 40 yards?

In a few years, I think we will all look back and realize how good Ryan has been, despite some of the occasional boneheaded plays he makes. You put this guy on an LSU or an Alabama, with those offensive lines and those receivers for three or four years, and look at th numbers he would put up.

On top of that he's an outstanding student and citizen, and we have been very lucky to have Ryan in our program. We will miss him.

And I don't think he will spend more than 2 or 3 years in the NFL. He's still far and away the best QB we have had since McNabb, and has to be among the top 5-10 we have ever had.

I agree with that being his biggest limitation. Struggles with the deep ball are overrated and correctable, IMO. People forget that we were almost never attacking vertically in the passing game the last two years. Tough to develop that touch when you're rarely going past that 10ish-yard range. But buying time and feeling pressure and throwing accurately when you're not completely set -- those are huge at the next level. I'm not sure Nassib moves in the pocket terribly well.

That said, it's not surprising to me that he's getting NFL buzz. The kid has a good arm, is smart, can fit short and intermediate throws into tight windows, seems like a solid citizen/leader, is coachable and has improved. There's a lot to like there for an NFL GM.

Almost famous

he has been rated pretty highly for 2 years now.

Ive heard as high as 2nd round as recently as the USC game. this talk isn't new.

And I don't think he will spend more than 2 or 3 years in the NFL. He's still far and away the best QB we have had since McNabb, and has to be among the top 5-10 we have ever had.

i would hope top 10!!! hell, troy nunes and rj anderson are probably in our top 10!

I've certainly been impressed the last two weeks. The TD to Sales looked like a legit NFL throw.

In a few years, I think we will all look back and realize how good Ryan has been, despite some of the occasional boneheaded plays he makes. You put this guy on an LSU or an Alabama, with those offensive lines and those receivers for three or four years, and look at th numbers he would put up.

On top of that he's an outstanding student and citizen, and we have been very lucky to have Ryan in our program. We will miss him.

this is crazy talk

i'll grant you that LSU is pretty bad at QB

but mccarron is good and they don't need him to throw more than 25x a game.

part of the reason we don't think many SEC qbs are good is because they have to play so many SEC defenses.

After being accused of being a Nassib apologist for 2 1/2 years, I spent yesterday getting blasted for being hypercritical. But I agree that he is, generally, under-appreciated. I would put him first in line behind McNabb/McPherson/Graves among QBs in my lifetime and I not only think he's the best QB since McNabb, but I'd argue he's leaps and bounds better than anyone since McNabb.

But, that said, I agree there are limitations and I'd still be somewhat surprised if he went 3rd/4th rd (could happen, I suppose, but I'd be surprised) and/or stuck around for more than a few years (3-ish). He's probably too smart to risk getting paralyzed in that league anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom