Mcshay on Nassib... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mcshay on Nassib...

this is crazy talk

i'll grant you that LSU is pretty bad at QB

but mccarron is good and they don't need him to throw more than 25x a game.

part of the reason we don't think many SEC qbs are good is because they have to play so many SEC defenses.

I don't know -- if it's unfair to say he'd be good in that league on one of those better teams, then it's equally unfair to say he wouldn't be any good in that league.

McCarron's numbers are unreal, but he's also playing with two backs averaging 6.25 ypc between them and on the way to 1,000-yard seasons, and a ton of big-play threats on the outside. He's better than Nassib but he's also playing in an awfully nice situations. I mean, I agree that SEC defenses are nasty, but the Tide is averaging 5.2 ypc as a team! Christ, that's unreal.

I think being behind an NFL offensive line might help his pocket presence greatly. If that's his biggest flaw he's in great shape.

Depends on which team. There are some bad NFL OLines out there.

this is crazy talk

i'll grant you that LSU is pretty bad at QB

but mccarron is good and they don't need him to throw more than 25x a game.

part of the reason we don't think many SEC qbs are good is because they have to play so many SEC defenses.
I'm not saying those QBs are no good. I'm saying basically put Nassib in a system with top notch OL and WR and he'd be a nationally respected quarterback putting up really good numbers.

Hell all I want for him is to last enough years in the league to draw the NFL pension, four years think. That plus the salary he'll earn he will be set for life. Besides after that he slides into an accountant position he'll be good to go.

I've learned to never say never. Todd Philcox, who was Donnie McPherson's understudy, was not a spectacular college QB by any stretch. But he was smart, surgical, and turned out to be a great weapon for SU. He had everything the NFL looks for in a solid back-up QB. As I recall he had a pretty good career in the league as a back-up. If Ryan can get drafted and become a solid, reliable second or third string QB, he could stick in the league for longer than people think. I think he has the tools to do just that.

He'll be taken in the third or fourth round, maybe even as high as the second depending on how the season pans out. Teams will love his arm and intelligence / work ethic.

If he has an offensive line that can give him great protection, he'll excel.

Bet you a drink on that (of course I hope I'm wrong because he's a great kid from a great family here in West Chester), but as I've said all along, he's a 5th round pick at best (late).

I do think, given the right situation, that an NFL team will keep him to use that strong arm in practice as much as possible.

Ryan has been underappreciated because I think even many of us who do like him have also been hoping for better since he became a starter 3 years ago. But lets face it, as a senior QB Ryan does a pretty good job though he is still less than perfect. He is, this year, better than we've had since McNabb. But SU is not really been blessed with many top quality QB's over the years. After the Donnie Macs and Graves the next group is a big jumble including Hurley, Philcox, Mason and probably RJ. In my opinon when Nassib is finished he should be mentioned in the first group but reality dictates he was more like the 2nd group with more opportunity than Mason and Philcox had. Next year I think we're hoping for the next Todd Philcox if we don't have the next Donnie Mac redshirting (or playing RB), or will we see the first Zach Allen or first Austin Wilson?

Hell all I want for him is to last enough years in the league to draw the NFL pension, four years think. That plus the salary he'll earn he will be set for life. Besides after that he slides into an accountant position he'll be good to go.

pretty sure its only 3 years to vest on pension. it is roughly $325 per season per month if you cash out at ~55. + they get a solid 401k plan. I think MLB matches 150% not sure about NFL.

ill look it up now...

Then, there’s the poverty level pension for retired NFL players. Players are fully vested after three years in the league. Once they retire, they can begin receiving their full pension at age 55. Players who played at least one season prior to 1993 can elect to receive a partial pension at age 45. While active, players are credited $200 per month for every season in the league. The monthly amount increases slightly each year. However, a player who retires after 10 years, can expect to receive roughly $30,000 per year in retirement which pales in comparison to the $300,000 to $3 million or more he made while active. Retired players with less than 10 years can expect to make about $14,000 annually, which is at the U.S. poverty level.

call me crazy - ut that as a pension seems like an added bonus. Maybe the NFL players should save their high salaries.

Here is the article, which basically kills all players benefits (the article comes from a shady insurance salesman ((i am an insurance salesman)) so please beware. This person seems extra crazy): http://mytensense.com/2011/03/nfl-pension-and-benefits-are-pathetic-players-dont-have-it-made/

Bet you a drink on that (of course I hope I'm wrong because he's a great kid from a great family here in West Chester), but as I've said all along, he's a 5th round pick at best (late).

I do think, given the right situation, that an NFL team will keep him to use that strong arm in practice as much as possible.
I'd make that bet. Unless his season implodes he's at least a 4th rounder, especially after he does the combine. He's going to kill it on the bench, wonderlic, and in the interviews.

Then, there’s the poverty level pension for retired NFL players. Players are fully vested after three years in the league. Once they retire, they can begin receiving their full pension at age 55. Players who played at least one season prior to 1993 can elect to receive a partial pension at age 45. While active, players are credited $200 per month for every season in the league. The monthly amount increases slightly each year. However, a player who retires after 10 years, can expect to receive roughly $30,000 per year in retirement which pales in comparison to the $300,000 to $3 million or more he made while active. Retired players with less than 10 years can expect to make about $14,000 annually, which is at the U.S. poverty level.

call me crazy - ut that as a pension seems like an added bonus. Maybe the NFL players should save their high salaries.

Here is the article, which basically kills all players benefits (the article comes from a shady insurance salesman ((i am an insurance salesman)) so please beware. This person seems extra crazy): http://mytensense.com/2011/03/nfl-pension-and-benefits-are-pathetic-players-dont-have-it-made/

Poverty level pensions? First off, these guys should not be worried about their pensions. They make alot of money even making the league minimum. Any good financial planner would have them maxing out their 401k plan from a tax perspective. They would get the league match in addition to that. Many of these guys post-NFL should rather easily find jobs in any industry simply because "they played in the NFL". That is a draw to most businesses. Just my thoughts.

It irks me when people feel bad financially for NFL players post-NFL (not directed at you CuseATL). They aren't broke, and if they are, shame on their advisors for allowing them to spend like idiots. The biggest problem are all of the people that are in their respective "crews" that will suck off of them while things are good. Makes me sick.

I'd make that bet. Unless his season implodes he's at least a 4th rounder, especially after he does the combine. He's going to kill it on the bench, wonderlic, and in the interviews.

He will also break someone's fingers throwing a 5 yard screen.

Highly likely that he will get drafted, not sure about 4th round or better. Good for him if he does.

If the NFL loved measurables, Darius Heyward-Bey would have been drafted ahead of Hakeem Nicks, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin and Michael Crabtree. Oh, wait.

If the NFL loved measurables, Darius Heyward-Bey would have been drafted ahead of Hakeem Nicks, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin and Michael Crabtree. Oh, wait.

If Al Davis were still alive, Nassib's chances of being drafted would skyrocket.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around it because I have watched him every week for 3 years and never thought he was that good. Now, he has absolutely improved immensely. And he can absolutely throw the ball. But...he has a couple huge flaws. The biggest being that he just does not feel pressure\buy time in the pocket very well. You need to do that in the NFL. I guess as an NFL evaluator you could say that is teachable, but i'm not really sure it is.

I think this sums it up pretty well.

I think being behind an NFL offensive line might help his pocket presence greatly. If that's his biggest flaw he's in great shape. To be honest if Kellen Clemens is still in the NFL, Nassib can play for a while.

Meh, NFL OL's also play against NFL Front 7's. Most pro fans think their team sucks at pass blocking with a couple exceptions (amazingly Buffalo is one of them). I don't think you can count on his protection on average being that much better than what he's had.

I think this sums it up pretty well.

Meh, NFL OL's also play against NFL Front 7's. Most pro fans think their team sucks at pass blocking with a couple exceptions (amazingly Buffalo is one of them). I don't think you can count on his protection on average being that much better than what he's had.
Consistency. As he gets used to having a good consistent line (like he's had this season), the happy feet will go away and he'll settle down.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around it because I have watched him every week for 3 years and never thought he was that good. Now, he has absolutely improved immensely. And he can absolutely throw the ball. But...he has a couple huge flaws. The biggest being that he just does not feel pressure\buy time in the pocket very well. You need to do that in the NFL. I guess as an NFL evaluator you could say that is teachable, but i'm not really sure it is.

I haven't really thought of him as a draft pick until this season, and I've warmed up to it mostly because of his ability to improve. Like you say, he has improved immensely, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to assume that he won't continue to improve. So for that reason, I can totally see him as an NFL draft pick. He's smart, he's got an arm, he's got decent size, he's a decent athlete and he's a good citizen. I see him going 4th-5th round to a team that will allow him to sit and learn as an understudy behind a top 5-10 QB currently in the league.

I will bet that NO will be the team that pulls the trigger first. Brees has a few good years left and there is already an unfiltered line of communications between DM and SP.

I will bet that NO will be the team that pulls the trigger first. Brees has a few good years left and there is already an unfiltered line of communications between DM and SP.

Idk if they'll take another QB after taking Chase Daniel recently, but it could happen. They were the ones who worked out Paulus, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep they brought in Paulus. I don't think Daniels has wowed then but Nassib as a 2nd or 3rd stringer would be a good investment.

Does anyone have ESPN insider to see where Mcshay currently has Nassib ranked in the QB's? I'm wondering if he's jumped Aaron Murray of Georgia. they were neck and neck for awhile

Does anyone have ESPN insider to see where Mcshay currently has Nassib ranked in the QB's? I'm wondering if he's jumped Aaron Murray of Georgia. they were neck and neck for awhile
I have insider.. but i don't know where i'd find that particular article. I' m lazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom