MCW and Dion should have been the starting backcourt last year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW and Dion should have been the starting backcourt last year

The only thing I feel bad about this year is that Triche won't be able to play much with the ball in his hands...and thats when he is personally at his best (not for the team though). He is going to have to be a bit of a spot up jump shooter/garbage man... because MCW is ball dominant. The good news is, MCW will set Triche up with 3 easy baskets every night...

He was very ready last year. The only difference between this year and last is time on the floor. His talent was very obvious last year. I will say again that MCW was the best player on the team last year. His game was very refined and if you didn't see it you were blind.

While I am a huge MCW fan, I disagree with the assessment that his game was very refined last year. In fact, I don't think it's very refined this year. Monday night was a prime example. He made some very nice plays, but also threw some bonehead passes. His talent is obvious, and he is the best player on the team, but refined is not a term I would use to describe MCW's game.

While I am a huge MCW fan, I disagree with the assessment that his game was very refined last year. In fact, I don't think it's very refined this year. Monday night was a prime example. He made some very nice plays, but also threw some bonehead passes. His talent is obvious, and he is the best player on the team, but refined is not a term I would use to describe MCW's game.
That's actually funny.

He was very ready last year. The only difference between this year and last is time on the floor. His talent was very obvious last year. I will say again that MCW was the best player on the team last year. His game was very refined and if you didn't see it you were blind.

People that were actually at practice disagree. So obviously you are wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yes , Lets bench Scoop, all he did for us was play with a broken rib (as I recall) as a freshmen when two upperclassmen
blew out their knees. Why reward loyalty with a starring role? That could be bad for morale.:bat:

I do wear glasses, but mainly use contacts.

Easy to say that MCW was "refined" last year, but you nor anyone else saw him play enough minutes in a real game to say this for sure.

As Bees said, those at practice thought otherwise, and no offense, I will go with their judgement over yours.

I do wear glasses, but mainly use contacts.

Easy to say that MCW was "refined" last year, but you nor anyone else saw him play enough minutes in a real game to say this for sure.

As Bees said, those at practice thought otherwise, and no offense, I will go with their judgement over yours.

Anybody who saw the kid play defense in real games thought otherwise; this poster has a selective memory and has long been disingenuous when it comes to this subject.

Yes , Lets bench Scoop, all he did for us was play with a broken rib (as I recall) as a freshmen when two upperclassmen
blew out their knees. Why reward loyalty with a starring role? That could be bad for morale.:bat:

So...by that token, was JB disloyal to Allen Griffin during his Junior year? This game isn't about making friends..

Without scoop starting at pg last year we wouldn't have won 10 f**king games! Not 10!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

You are very sure about a lot of things. You are very good at saying the same thing over and over again. You are very good at not acknowledging opposing viewpoints. You are very good at making unintentionally funny posts.

Without scoop starting at pg last year we wouldn't have won 10 f**king games! Not 10!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
I think we would have won at least 12 games. But more importantly, MCWs resume would look better now. And 10 years from now we could have said the better eventual pro played that year. As it is, this is going to be remembered as the worst 34-3 team we ever had. And I don't see how people can argue that.

People just can't give up on hating Scoop. It's hilarious and pathetic all at once. As i said in a thread just the other day: Senior Scoop> Frosh MCW. And its not even close.

JB's biggest perceived weakness is wanting to win EVERY single game. He won't give up a single win against Arkansas, even if it might help his team in March. Thats just him...[/quote

What's wrong with wanting to win every game? How does losing a game in November help us in March?

Anybody who saw the kid play defense in real games thought otherwise; this poster has a selective memory and has long been disingenuous when it comes to this subject.
He was damn good at the top of zone just like this year. You guys really think he underwent a major off season transformation from bench warmer to superstar you're mistaken. I saw last year what I see this year and I said as much a year a go. Guess what he looks exactly the same this year. Nice try though.

You are very sure about a lot of things. You are very good at saying the same thing over and over again. You are very good at not acknowledging opposing viewpoints. You are very good at making unintentionally funny posts.
Thanks

He was damn good at the top of zone just like this year. You guys really think he underwent a major off season transformation from bench warmer to superstar you're mistaken. I saw last year what I see this year and I said as much a year a go. Guess what he looks exactly the same this year. Nice try though.

the biggest leap players make is between freshman and sophmore year. you dont think its possible to go from scrub to stud in 1 year? hakim warrick and dion waiters say hello.

People just can't give up on hating Scoop. It's hilarious and pathetic all at once. As i said in a thread just the other day: Senior Scoop> Frosh MCW. And its not even close.
but that shouldn't be the argument, MCW wouldn't have taken Scoop's minutes, well not all of them, but Dion and Triche would have played 30 mpg and Sophomore Dion > Senior Scoop and you could argue Junior Triche ~= Senior Scoop

that said I am glad Scoop was the PG last year, it was an awesome year

What's wrong with wanting to win every game? How does losing a game in November help us in March?
it's about creating competition within the team

you need to give your underclassmen a chance to challenge the upperclassmen, and to do that you have to give them minutes, meaningful minutes, and that may mean you lose a few more games but maybe at the end of the year your underclassmen has passed an upperclassmen who was at their ceiling in November

so, you're saying he peaked as a freshman. got it.

discuss

:eek:
Nope. Staff thought Dion was a one and done, but he was such a head case JB couldn't give him the minutes. MCW was supposed to have Dion's minutes last year, and Cooney MCW's. People who don't understand all Scoop did last year should go back to bball 101. As I said before, let me know when MCW makes a go ahead 3 with pressure in a BE game.

It sounds like that premise was based upon junior year Scoop, when he was far more inconsistent than he was last season--quarterbacking the most potent transition attack in school history and rarely turning the ball over.

I don't think that anyone questions MCW's "upside" or that he has more potential than Scoop. The better question is: was a physically underdeveloped frosh MCW a better option than 5th year senior Scoop, which is certainly debatable in my opinion given the year Scoop had. And I also think the overall question doesn't factor in how much MCW's learning curve accelerated from last year's experience of playing against a tremendous group of backcourt talent every day in practice and how much he may have benefited from Scoop teaching him the ropes [it has been widely reported that Scoop took MCW under his wing and explicitly went out of his way to lead by example for the rest of the team].

It's an interesting debate, but I don't think that it holds much water given the year we had. The only thing I think would have improved last season between-the-lines is the Fab situation at the end of the year.
To me the best thing Scoop did last year was accept a smaller role. Or, perhaps better said a role that changed game by game depending on the flow and who had the hot hand. Usually 5th yr seniors who played 32 minutes a game as jr's don't respond well to playing 25 minutes a game as a sr. To his great credit he accepted it, and also raised his game. I didn't think he'd do either so I was wrong there. Now...as far as the 'could MCW have done better' debate I don't think we'll ever know. Probably not, but if he'd been forced to play 20-25 min a game maybe he would have developed into a player who is close to what we see now. Anyway it's an interesting debate if entirely useless...

it's about creating competition within the team

you need to give your underclassmen a chance to challenge the upperclassmen, and to do that you have to give them minutes, meaningful minutes, and that may mean you lose a few more games but maybe at the end of the year your underclassmen has passed an upperclassmen who was at their ceiling in November

Don't they challenge each other in practice everyday? Then the underclassmen have about 12 early season games to play in. How was MCW going to make us better last year? If he was taking minutes from Scoop, couldn't that ruin team chemistry? We were 34-3 last year and pg play was not the issue in the NCAA Tournament.

Don't they challenge each other in practice everyday? Then the underclassmen have about 12 early season games to play in. How was MCW going to make us better last year? If he was taking minutes from Scoop, couldn't that ruin team chemistry? We were 34-3 last year and pg play was not the issue in the NCAA Tournament.
They challenge each other in practice but if you know you are getting the JB freshmen treatment you don't have the drive to prove anything.

Again I said my argument isn't as much that MCW would have made us better but Triche and Dion playing 30+ mpg might have.

The discussion was 'if Scoop left' so no one would have been stealing minutes from Scoop and chemistry would not have been an issue.

Like I said I was glad Scoop was on the team, but in fantasy land you can wonder what if because a trio of MCW/Dion/Triche had more room for growth in a 30+ game season. Whereas Scoop had peaked.

Also I said meaningful minutes and those 12 early season games are hardly meaningful minutes.

They challenge each other in practice but if you know you are getting the JB freshmen treatment you don't have the drive to prove anything.
That's a silly generalization. We have no way of knowing that's how MCW or any other freshman would react. And very few of us are present at SU practices.

Like I said I was glad Scoop was on the team, but in fantasy land you can wonder what if because a trio of MCW/Dion/Triche had more room for growth in a 30+ game season. Whereas Scoop had peaked.

Senior Scoop was considerably more consistent and reliable than he had been previously. He peaked as a senior and perhaps that was what JB was expecting would happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom