MCW and Dion should have been the starting backcourt last year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

MCW and Dion should have been the starting backcourt last year

That's a silly generalization. We have no way of knowing that's how MCW or any other freshman would react. And very few of us are present at SU practices.

really because I am pretty sure I read every year about at least one freshmen not being happy

really because I am pretty sure I read every year about at least one freshmen not being happy

I don't think there is a direct correlation between how "happy" someone is and the effort they give in practice. There may be for certain players, but it probably won't turn out well for them if they're hoping to see the floor for Boeheim and dogging it in practice.

[quote="Again I said my argument isn't as much that MCW would have made us better but Triche and Dion playing 30+ mpg might have.[/quote]

How? They played 23 and 24 minutes, and neither was really a point guard.

Not sure why some people think MCW was physically or emotionally ready to play major minutes last year. Most of the time, freshmen need a year in the program and weight-room to get acclimated to the college game. He was not better than Scoop was last year, and if he had to start in Scoop's place we would have lost a lot more games, and that wouldn't help us at all in March. Believe it or not, Scoop was pretty good last year.

Freshmen are usually not happy with their playing time. I'm sure Dion and Fab were not. Probably the same for Christmas. But I'm sure they gave it their all in practice.

He was damn good at the top of zone just like this year. You guys really think he underwent a major off season transformation from bench warmer to superstar you're mistaken. I saw last year what I see this year and I said as much a year a go. Guess what he looks exactly the same this year. Nice try though.

You were wrong last year. Every bit of game film showed that.

We won't know how MCW & Dion would have done last year in clutch time, against Big East competition. We do know that Scoop and Dion closed out games, with high consistency.

If and when MCW & BT prove as effective in January-February (not against unranked teams in pre-season), we can re-open this discussion. I like MCW's potential, but we haven't played a single ranked opponent, and Southerland made the difference in the only competitive game.

We won't know how MCW & Dion would have done last year in clutch time, against Big East competition. We do know that Scoop and Dion closed out games, with high consistency.

If and when MCW & BT prove as effective in January-February (not against unranked teams in pre-season), we can re-open this discussion. I like MCW's potential, but we haven't played a single ranked opponent, and Southerland made the difference in the only competitive game.
Well SD St was ranked...but your point is well taken

I don't think there is a direct correlation between how "happy" someone is and the effort they give in practice. There may be for certain players, but it probably won't turn out well for them if they're hoping to see the floor for Boeheim and dogging it in practice.
really? you don't think you can correlate that? I would say you could do that with anything in life, if you enjoy something you put more effort into it and are better at it and vice versa

How do you determine that? Not trying to jump on you but to say that mentally he couldn't handle starting is kind of strange, especially since in the NBA he seems to be doing ok as a starter.

He's saying Dion was more prepared to come off the bench than Mike was. Mike was pissed off at the end of last year that he hadn't played more. He was immature.

[quote="Again I said my argument isn't as much that MCW would have made us better but Triche and Dion playing 30+ mpg might have.

How? They played 23 and 24 minutes, and neither was really a point guard.

Not sure why some people think MCW was physically or emotionally ready to play major minutes last year. Most of the time, freshmen need a year in the program and weight-room to get acclimated to the college game. He was not better than Scoop was last year, and if he had to start in Scoop's place we would have lost a lot more games, and that wouldn't help us at all in March. Believe it or not, Scoop was pretty good last year.[/quote]
I agree with: Scoop was pretty good last year, and we would have lost more games with MCW. The rest of your post I think you are just totally guessing about. How do you know that he wasn't 'physically or emotionally ready', or that he 'wasn't better than Scoop'? You don't know that. He is pretty clearly better than Scoop now. Could he have been 8 months ago if he had been in a position to be forcefed minutes all year? Maybe, maybe not. You don't know, and neither do I.

To me the best thing Scoop did last year was accept a smaller role. Or, perhaps better said a role that changed game by game depending on the flow and who had the hot hand. Usually 5th yr seniors who played 32 minutes a game as jr's don't respond well to playing 25 minutes a game as a sr. To his great credit he accepted it, and also raised his game. I didn't think he'd do either so I was wrong there. Now...as far as the 'could MCW have done better' debate I don't think we'll ever know. Probably not, but if he'd been forced to play 20-25 min a game maybe he would have developed into a player who is close to what we see now. Anyway it's an interesting debate if entirely useless...

Wow--couldn't disagree more. To me, the best thing that Scoop did was curtail the unforced turnover issue that had plagued his first three seasons. We simply did not turn the ball over last year, and it helped us win games.

Scoop didn't just accept a smaller role, he set the tone for our team taking unprecedented care of the ball.

Wow--couldn't disagree more. To me, the best thing that Scoop did was curtail the unforced turnover issue that had plagued his first three seasons. We simply did not turn the ball over last year, and it helped us win games.

Scoop didn't just accept a smaller role, he set the tone for our team taking unprecedented care of the ball.
His turnovers per minute were almost exactly the same as the previous year. His big improvement was he shot the ball a lot better (9-17 from 3 in the tourney). But don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

This is a no-brainer. Scoop and BT are role players who each have and had, as the case may be, their moments because they are surrounded by stars.

Dion and MCW are NBA studs.

really? you don't think you can correlate that? I would say you could do that with anything in life, if you enjoy something you put more effort into it and are better at it and vice versa

So you believe there is a formula which can be applied to all players? That all "happy" players play harder in practice, and all "less happy" players play less hard? If that is what you are contending, I think you're crazy.

So you believe there is a formula which can be applied to all players? That all "happy" players play harder in practice, and all "less happy" players play less hard? If that is what you are contending, I think you're crazy.
do you have good days and bad days at work? which ones are more productive?

We could have won another NC if Fab played. MCW playing would not have improved our chances and benching a senior guard and the leader of the team might very well have resulted in something worse than we had last year. I think we did pretty well last year and Scoop was instrumental to making that happen.

This is a no-brainer. Scoop and BT are role players who each have and had, as the case may be, their moments because they are surrounded by stars.

Dion and MCW are NBA studs.
SU doesn't play in the NBA.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors