MCW-National Assist Leader | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

MCW-National Assist Leader

I think we focus too much on W-L records for our own good. The goal is to be the last one standing, not to run the table in the regular season.

I don't know if MCW was the one to make that happen, but more playing time certainly would have brought things into greater focus.
Right, because Scoop Jardine was the reason we weren't the last team standing last year. It had nothing to do with our ineligible center, or with Waiters having maybe his worst game of the year against Ohio St.

You should probably re-read what she wrote. That's not what those sentences look to imply.
Thank you! My memory (admittedly vague) has it that Brandon liked to consider himself a point guard first and scoring guard second. I could be totally wrong about that. So, I wondered how he, as the senior leader, would feel about MCW "taking over" that particular leadership role. It seemed to me that he was gracious and complimentary, and I thought that was great.

I would have no problem telling him in person. There's no comparison in talent level between the 2 players and there never was. MCW will be a lottery pick and Scoop was just a decent point guard.

I recall JB pulling him last year when he played fantastic in certain games just as he has this year. There is no logical reason why he didnt play more. He was clearly better then all 3 players that got minutes. The guy you see this year is the guy I saw last year. My eyes did not not deceive me. He was just as much of a stud a year a go and could have really helped the team. BTW I didn't understand Joseph playing over JS either.
Joseph made an NBA team. James can write NBA.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Joseph made an NBA team. James can write NBA.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

There are a lot of games left to be played, but I'll be damned if James Southerland doesn't look like an NBA draftable prospect thus far. Yes, I know--he needs to sustain this level of play, but if he does he won't be a 2nd round pick.

There are a lot of games left to be played, but I'll be damned if James Southerland doesn't look like an NBA draftable prospect thus far. Yes, I know--he needs to sustain this level of play, but if he does he won't be a 2nd round pick.
If k jo can get drafted and sent to the d league then theres def hope for dirty.

I don't think the Scoop vs. MCW debate is as cut and dried as people think.

I liken it the 49ers right now. Do you play a guy that led you to a 13-3 record and thisclose to a SB, or do you go with a younger guy who you feel is capable of putting you over the edge?

I think we focus too much on W-L records for our own good. The goal is to be the last one standing, not to run the table in the regular season.

I don't know if MCW was the one to make that happen, but more playing time certainly would have brought things into greater focus.

Those pesky W-L records help determine your NCAAT seeding. There's a real good chance that more MCW last season and less Scoop and less BT would have translated into several more losses and a lower seeding and a tougher road to a title. Fortunately, that's not how JB thinks.

He's got that one elite skill that you need for a potential shot at the next level. I just wonder if his release is too slow.

Its no coincidence mcw leads the nation in assists and will probably be top ten in the nation at the end of the season, but he couldnt play last year because scoop was better, sorry im not buying it. Jb favors seniors and upperclassmen snd always will. In the nba the best play.

Those pesky W-L records help determine your NCAAT seeding. There's a real good chance that more MCW last season and less Scoop and less BT would have translated into several more losses and a lower seeding and a tougher road to a title. Fortunately, that's not how JB thinks.

Maybe MCW wasn't ready last year. No one really knows outside of the team b/c we didn't see enough.

But, in some cases, you need to take a step back to take 2 steps forward. Even Tiger at his peak changed his swing so he could improve.

In my opinion, if JB felt MCW, by being given major minutes, would be a better player by the end of the year than Scoop, then he ought to have played MCW progressively more throughout the season. But I don't think he felt that would be the case.

Succisa Virescit!

I don't know how you can look at last season, the way it played out, and come to the conclusion what we needed was more MCW.

I don't think the Scoop vs. MCW debate is as cut and dried as people think.

I liken it the 49ers right now. Do you play a guy that led you to a 13-3 record and thisclose to a SB, or do you go with a younger guy who you feel is capable of putting you over the edge?

A lot of that is true. Especially the bit about focusing too much on records. Just because we went 34-3 does not mean that Boeheim necessarily made the correct player personnel decisions.

It is possible that we could have started Mike, given Scoop the Michael Edwards treatment, and won a national championship. Mike would have probably improved immensely between November and April if he'd been given 30 minutes a game. Or he would have blown out his knee before Thanksgiving. Who knows?

Fact is, he would have suffered from growing pains and the team certainly would have lost some games as he grew on the job. Perhaps that growth would have been worth it in the long run. As long as Boeheim is the coach, the point is moot. When he has a choice, he's going to go with the experienced player. That's what he did; I think it was a good choice and gave us a darn good chance to be the last one standing.

For all our flaws, guard play (especially point guard play) was not one of them. Scoop was our steadiest and most valuable guy last year, and that includes the Ohio State game. Not sure what Mike would have accomplished as Scoop's replacement that night.

A lot of that is true. Especially the bit about focusing too much on records. Just because we went 34-3 does not mean that Boeheim necessarily made the correct player personnel decisions.

It is possible that we could have started Mike, given Scoop the Michael Edwards treatment, and won a national championship. Mike would have probably improved immensely between November and April if he'd been given 30 minutes a game. Or he would have blown out his knee before Thanksgiving. Who knows?

Fact is, he would have suffered from growing pains and the team certainly would have lost some games as he grew on the job. Perhaps that growth would have been worth it in the long run. As long as Boeheim is the coach, the point is moot. When he has a choice, he's going to go with the experienced player. That's what he did; I think it was a good choice and gave us a darn good chance to be the last one standing.

For all our flaws, guard play (especially point guard play) was not one of them. Scoop was our steadiest and most valuable guy last year, and that includes the Ohio State game. Not sure what Mike would have accomplished as Scoop's replacement that night.

I know what you're saying but unlike us, JB saw the kid in practice day in day out. I'm sure he knew what MCW was and wasn't capable of.

He did have a great senior year distributing the ball, but to say he was better than Mcw is simply not true. Jb's not going to play a frosh over a senior pg ever,

Ahem. You just hurt the feelings of Josh Wright and Michael Edwards.

Boeheim would rather go with the experienced guy, but only if merit dictates it.

And Scoop was better than Mike at a lot of things last season. You didn't like the kid, but it's difficult to dispute this. The numbers and our eyes contradict your statement.

I know what you're saying but unlike us, JB saw the kid in practice day in day out. I'm sure he knew what MCW was and wasn't capable of.

I agree; I defer to the big guy on this one. We had the point guard we needed to win a championship last year, and Jimmy started him in every game.

Ahem. You just hurt the feelings of Josh Wright and Michael Edwards.

Boeheim would rather go with the experienced guy, but only if merit dictates it.

And Scoop was better than Mike at a lot of things last season. You didn't like the kid, but it's difficult to dispute this. The numbers and our eyes contradict your statement.

yeah i dont like him , please can you make anything else up. what numbers? mcw was and is better than scoop. you just dont learn to lead the nation in assists over a year. twist it how you may.

And his draft stock will only keep rising. He's such a great NBA prospect.

Hurts so good.

:confused:

Scoops three point shot and pullup jumper was much better then MCW's last year. And scoop beat his man off the dribble better then MCW. Scoop was also a really strong finisher in the lane with built upper arms. All of that Scoop had 2 years of BE experience in unlike Mike.

MCW was a great passer though. He won the skills competition. I said it all last year MCW is one of the best passers in the nation. Now it is showing. Mike did look like the best player on the team once or twice last year early on, but it was against nobodies. The players around MCW are running the sets for MCW much better then last year. If it was sophmore mike last year there is no doubt in hell JB would have played him ALOT more.

yeah i dont like him , please can you make anything else up. what numbers? mcw was and is better than scoop. you just dont learn to lead the nation in assists over a year. twist it how you may.

Jesus, he's leading the nation in assists after 3 cupcake games and a sideshow on an aircraft carrier. I'd absolutely love it if he was still in that number 1 spot come March, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here (I know, that's an impossible request for this board). Unless MCW was capable of guarding Jared Sullinger, last season would have most likely ended exactly how it did, regardless of how much playing time he got.

Scoop was a better shooter last year; that's a hard number with which you can't argue. He was also a better defender and less prone to turn the ball over.

Also, don't pretend you didn't dislike Scoop; you're on record on here making all kinds of deragatory remarks about him. Nobody's holding that against you - I read your posts with an open mind - but you should own up to what you wrote.

Scoop was a better shooter last year; that's a hard number with which you can't argue. He was also a better defender and less prone to turn the ball over.

Also, don't pretend you didn't dislike Scoop; you're on record on here making all kinds of deragatory remarks about him. Nobody's holding that against you - I read your posts with an open mind - but you should own up to what you wrote.
Oh ya deragatory remarks? Youre out of your mind. He makes bad decisions too much on the court but i never get personal with any player, except josh wright if you call him sucking big time personal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom