MCW & the offense earlier in the year | Syracusefan.com

MCW & the offense earlier in the year

Melancer46

Living Legend

Look at how much better the spacing is on the floor in all of these plays. It's night and day. And our big men are actually looking for the ball.

Southerland needs to come back and help solve some of our spacing issues and Christmas needs to start being more than just a shot blocker again. Our team looks nothing like what you see in this video anymore.

Coaches are no longer having their teams give help defense when mcw has the ball. They are having him beat them and obviously he is having trouble finishing , that's why he is shooting much more lately because he has the shots he didnt have earlier in the year. He needs to realize this is what teams want him to do and make more of an emphasis on passing . I would actually like to see him play off the ball some more and let triche handle it . Either way spacing should improve when James gets back.

MCW had Grant and Rak for drop off dunks at least 3 times in the game vs Pitt and didn't pass the ball earlier in the year he consistently made that pass. MCW is trying to prove to everybody he can score, and all he is doing is proving he can't score.

James Southerland was/is our earlier offense, without him it is a fight in every half court set. It magnifies every bad position because we lose that quick hit ability. I would love to see how many of James missed 3s in early offense were rebounded by the offense for easy scores. I would bet a ton since the defense isn't set.

MCW had Grant and Rak for drop off dunks at least 3 times in the game vs Pitt and didn't pass the ball earlier in the year he consistently made that pass. MCW is trying to prove to everybody he can score, and all he is doing is proving he can't score.

James Southerland was/is our earlier offense, without him it is a fight in every half court set. It magnifies every bad position because we lose that quick hit ability. I would love to see how many of James missed 3s in early offense were rebounded by the offense for easy scores. I would bet a ton since the defense isn't set.

To be fair, he tried to make those passes down the stretch against Villanova and the big men just dropped each of them and turned it over.

To be fair, he tried to make those passes down the stretch against Villanova and the big men just dropped each of them and turned it over.

Time and a place. Forcing a pass to your struggling center who has his back turned ready to box out when you actually have a good look at the basket is not a good play. At all. Know the situation. It's like a few years ago when Scoop forced a bullet pass to Keita. Know the personel and the situation.

Time and a place. Forcing a pass to your struggling center who has his back turned ready to box out when you actually have a good look at the basket is not a good play. At all. Know the situation. It's like a few years ago when Scoop forced a bullet pass to Keita. Know the personel and the situation.

Despite his struggles, Coleman's generally done a pretty good job of sealing his man and catching those passes. His struggles happen after he catches it when he tries to take a baby dribble before going up with it.

I would love to see how many of James missed 3s in early offense were rebounded by the offense for easy scores. I would bet a ton since the defense isn't set.
This is a great point and one I had not thought of. Even when James went cold a lot oo the long rebounds likely turn into easy buckets. I am not nearly as down on MCW as some are. Granted he's struggling a bit right now but it is silly to get too down on a player that may still be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft. Its tough being a PG in the BE and really tough to do somethings at 6'6". If we get James back I think we have just as good a shot at a big run in the tourney as anyone else does.

Everybody drops passes or turns the ball over from time to time that is not a justification for not making the right play!

Everybody drops passes or turns the ball over from time to time that is not a justification for not making the right play!

Don't worry, I agree with you. More just pointing out that I think he made the right plays down the stretch in that game...the results just weren't there and that will happen from time to time.

This is a great point and one I had not thought of. Even when James went cold a lot oo the long rebounds likely turn into easy buckets. I am not nearly as down on MCW as some are. Granted he's struggling a bit right now but it is silly to get too down on a player that may still be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft. Its tough being a PG in the BE and really tough to do somethings at 6'6". If we get James back I think we have just as good a shot at a big run in the tourney as anyone else does.

I'm not down on MCW but I call a spade a spade. His greatness skill is creating for others and he needs to remember that. He was drawing help defenders on Saturday and he didn't make the pass that he had been making all year. He needs to make that pass every time and shoot when the help doesn't come.

To be even fairer, that pass he made to Coleman was after Coleman had turned to rebound the ball since MCW had made it clear he was going to shoot. He bailed on the shot at the last second.

To be even fairer, that pass he made to Coleman was after Coleman had turned to rebound the ball since MCW had made it clear he was going to shoot. He bailed on the shot at the last second.

It's not the first time he's gotten a defense to think he was shooting and then passed it off instead, and just about every good passer in the world of basketball makes plays just like that. Coleman just wasn't ready that time. It happens, and bailing on a shot to give a teammate a wide open dunk isn't a bad thing. It just didn't work out in that game.

It's not the first time he's gotten a defense to think he was shooting and then passed it off instead, and just about every good passer in the world of basketball makes plays just like that. Coleman just wasn't ready that time. It happens, and bailing on a shot to give a teammate a wide open dunk isn't a bad thing. It just didn't work out in that game.

Coleman had turned his back to rebound. He tried to get it to him too late.

Agree with this. The thought of the pass was a great thought, but at that point the better play may well have been to toss the ball to the rim since Coleman had great position for the offensive rebound.

A cardinal rule of basketball is NEVER turn your back to the basketball. If you get hit in the back of the head with the ball "my bad" is an automatic statement...even if you were setting up for a rebound.

A cardinal rule of basketball is NEVER turn your back to the basketball. If you get hit in the back of the head with the ball "my bad" is an automatic statement...even if you were setting up for a rebound.

So being a spectator instead of rebounding the ball is better? Watch the play again

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I have a theory that the offensive slump began earlier . . . Southerland's last really good offensive game was vs. Detroit on Dec. 17, right around the official end of the semester. Beginning with the Temple game on the 22nd, he fell into a slump. He was 26/57 from three through the Detroit game (.456) and averaging 15.9 ppg. From that point on, he was 7/31 from three (.226) and averaged just 9.8 ppg. Now, it could have just been an extended slump, which is not uncommon for shooters - James had already suffered a 3 game slump following the Arkansas game - but I think the timing is noteworthy. If James found out at the end of the semester that his grades were in question and a possible suspension was hanging over his head, it's likely that would have weighed on his mind and possibly effected his play for the rest of the intercession. If that is the case, then hopefully when the suspension gets lifted, his mind will also be clear and he will play the final nine games of the season like he played the first ten. As other have noted, simply having James on the floor opens things up for everyone else; having him play well on top of it makes this team a legit title contender.

So being a spectator instead of rebounding the ball is better? Watch the play again

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Sealing your man is the same as boxing out for a rebound, but when you seal your man, you're ready for a pass to come your way so you can easily finish with a layup or dunk. Coleman does a nice job of sealing his man when he actually plays, and he usually looks for the pass to come his way as well. He just didn't that time.

Sealing your man is the same as boxing out for a rebound, but when you seal your man, you're ready for a pass to come your way so you can easily finish with a layup or dunk. Coleman does a nice job of sealing his man when he actually plays, and he usually looks for the pass to come his way as well. He just didn't that time.

watch the play over. that was on mcw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom