Melo cookin | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo cookin

Here is a line from John Hollinger's scouting report (link is Insider only):

"Lethargic defensive player. Good size but lacks great feet. Excellent rebounder."

Well, as i said he has never rebounded to his 'potential.'

I think he is an EXCELLENT rebounder. The numbers don't show it though. he has averaged over 7 boards a game only twice in his career. Lebron, on the other hand has avergaged less than 7 boards a game only twice in his career.

I think he is an EXCELLENT rebounder. The numbers don't show it though. he has averaged over 7 boards a game only twice in his career. Lebron, on the other hand has avergaged less than 7 boards a game only twice in his career.
Agreed. Melo is on his way to completely shutting up his criticisms. Rebounding, defense, making other better. Hes doing all that now. As a Syracuse and Knicks fan, I am proud and excited. Its hard not to love this Knicks team. Melo, Shump, Chandler, Novak and a mature JR!? Who wouldve thought?

I'm not attempting to try and be argumentative, so forgive me if the post appears to come off this way. However, why must we always compare Melo to LeBron on this board?

LeBron is a physical freak who is a good inch and a half taller, 10 pounds heavier, and possesses a ridiculous vertical leap. He is a once in a generation player.

Melo also has played along legit rebounding 4's and 5's his whole career in Martin, Nene, Stat, and Chandler. There hasn't been a great need for him to be a 8 boards a game type player. When he plays the 4 we see he he is a much better rebounder, but he hasn't always played the four spot in his career.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Melo has really gotten the most out of physical abilities. By NBA standards, Melo is an average athlete. He has a great first step, but isn't what I would call explosive compared to some other guys. He doesn't have a great vert, but has learned how to get off the ground quickly. He has a quick release and developed and excellent post up game. I'm not so sure he can be a great defender because he is a bit heavy footed. He is probably better at defending 4's than 3's.

He's made himself into a great NBA player. He's certainly not the best in the league, but he's going to have a hall of fame career when all is said and done. I think that's pretty damn good.

I don't think Melo has the potential to be a better rebounder than Lebron, or even as good.

This Knicks team is an awful lot of fun to watch.

Melo also has played along legit rebounding 4's and 5's his whole career in Martin, Nene, Stat, and Chandler. There hasn't been a great need for him to be a 8 boards a game type player.

Amare is a pretty awful rebounder. I don't think Nene and Martin are all th at great either, though I could be wrong, though Martin was probably better in the middle of the decade.

Melo is a good rebounding small forward. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think he "should" be all that great either.

I'm not attempting to try and be argumentative, so forgive me if the post appears to come off this way. However, why must we always compare Melo to LeBron on this board?

LeBron is a physical freak who is a good inch and a half taller, 10 pounds heavier, and possesses a ridiculous vertical leap. He is a once in a generation player.

Melo also has played along legit rebounding 4's and 5's his whole career in Martin, Nene, Stat, and Chandler. There hasn't been a great need for him to be a 8 boards a game type player. When he plays the 4 we see he he is a much better rebounder, but he hasn't always played the four spot in his career.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Melo has really gotten the most out of physical abilities. By NBA standards, Melo is an average athlete. He has a great first step, but isn't what I would call explosive compared to some other guys. He doesn't have a great vert, but has learned how to get off the ground quickly. He has a quick release and developed and excellent post up game. I'm not so sure he can be a great defender because he is a bit heavy footed. He is probably better at defending 4's than 3's.

He's made himself into a great NBA player. He's certainly not the best in the league, but he's going to have a hall of fame career when all is said and done. I think that's pretty damn good.
Dont let his physique fool you. Melo is a freak athlete.

Just checked on the rebounding; last year Amare was 50th among PF in rebound rate. Nene was 41st among Centers.

I guess the big question is...why can't Melo be interested defensively when his offensive game ISN'T rolling? He is the best example in the league of a guy playing balls out when his shots are falling, and sulking when he isn't rolling on offense. If you want to be considered a top 5 dude in the league, you have to bring it 90% of the time.

Many NBA forwards, including Lebron "The Physical Freak" you speak of, consistently say that Melo is the strongest player they've had to go up against. Melo may not be "cut and toned" like some guys, but he's naturally stronger than almost everyone in the League.

Strength doesn't equate to fast twitch muscle fibers. I would say players like Shannon Brown, LeBron, Josh Smith, Wes Johnson, Nate Robinson, etc are freak athletes. If you notice, not all of them are great basketball players at the NBA level.

Ron Artest is strong too, bit he isn't in Melo's category. I think this board is hyper critical of Melo because he isn't LeBron. He has his faults, but let's be honest, the guy is pretty farking good. He's made the most of his abilities, much like a Kevin Durant.

I think this board is hyper critical of Melo because he isn't LeBron. He has his faults, but let's be honest, the guy is pretty farking good. He's made the most of his abilities, much like a Kevin Durant.

i think this board is A LOT less hyper critical of melo than the rest of the nation.

melo is paid like a superstar, melo is in commercials like a superstar, cusenation acts like he is a superstar.

does ANYONE have melo in their top 10 players list?

On last nights broadcast they pointed out how quick Melo gets up on his second jump to rebound his own misses. Its like hes on a pogo stick under the basket.

i think this board is A LOT less hyper critical of melo than the rest of the nation.

melo is paid like a superstar, melo is in commercials like a superstar, cusenation acts like he is a superstar.

does ANYONE have melo in their top 10 players list?
Lots of people do. Right now hes playing like the best player in the NBA. Not too many players can be THE BEST player in the NBA for an entire month.

His April numbers are 31/8/4 on 51% shooting from the field. Pretty freaking amazing. Wonder if anyone is having a better month.

I hesitate to even bring this up, but that is basically a Lebron season with a 3 more points and 3 fewer assists.

His April numbers are 31/8/4 on 51% shooting from the field. Pretty freaking amazing. Wonder if anyone is having a better month.

I hesitate to even bring this up, but that is basically a Lebron season with a 3 more points and 3 fewer assists.
LBJ's skillset may be better than anyones, including MJ, however IF and its a big if, Melo has turned the corner, the reason there is a discussion as to who is better is because Melo typically outplays LBJ head to head and Melo will hit the game-tier/game-winner/big free throws and LBJ probably wont.

Lots of people do. Right now hes playing like the best player in the NBA. Not too many players can be THE BEST player in the NBA for an entire month.

outside of his last 10 games...

he was consistently ranked in the top 20ish in the league. very few, if any in the top 10.

and whenever he was talked about, i feel like people made it a point to say melo was not in the elite class.

Are you saying here, or in general? General consensus I think of Melo was definitely a top 10 player.

outside of his last 10 games...

he was consistently ranked in the top 20ish in the league. very few, if any in the top 10.

and whenever he was talked about, i feel like people made it a point to say melo was not in the elite class.
Yea its strange when it comes to Melo. People talk about Durant like hes this incredible passer/rebounder/defender? I watch them alot because they are always on late at night and he doesnt do anything more than Melo does imo. Melo is alot more physical then Durant and Durant is a better 3 point shooter. Outside of that they are both the two premiere scorers in the NBA. Durant isnt some monster rebounder/dominating defender/john stockton in a small forwards body...if Durant is top ten then so is Melo. Melo is also hurt by the fact he had to face LAL and SA every year in the western conference. If he makes some noise in the next few years in the playoffs then you will see alot of Melo nuthuggers.

Amare is a pretty awful rebounder. I don't think Nene and Martin are all th at great either, though I could be wrong, though Martin was probably better in the middle of the decade.

Marcus Camby should have been mentioned.

Also, when Melo was in Denver, he was already halfway down the court on opposing shots a lot of the time because they ran a fast-break offense.

LBJ's skillset may be better than anyones, including MJ, however IF and its a big if, Melo has turned the corner, the reason there is a discussion as to who is better is because Melo typically outplays LBJ head to head and Melo will hit the game-tier/game-winner/big free throws and LBJ probably wont.

After the Knicks knock off Miami in round 1, it will be Melo all over ESPN the next few years, not Lebron. There will be a new King of the NBA.

Yes, Camby is one of the best defensive rebounders in the NBA.

I agree on Durant; but he has been a more efficient scorer than Melo, which is why he gets the edge in my view. I agree that he isn't great at the other phases of the game, and I don't think I've ever had him in my personal top 5 (as if anyone cares about that).

If Melo isn't top ten, I need to see the ten guys in front. I believe he is top 4 or 5. The guy is a more physical Bernard King and that is pretty good.

If Melo isn't top ten, I need to see the ten guys in front. I believe he is top 4 or 5. The guy is a more physical Bernard King and that is pretty good.

lebron, rose, durant are widely considered the top 3 right now.

we havent mentioned kobe or wade.

lebron, rose, durant are widely considered the top 3 right now.

we havent mentioned kobe or wade.

Yep, there is your top 5. Love is making a case for first or second team all-NBA also. Melo is in the 6-10 range somewhere. Nothing wrong with that.

Why compare Melo to anyone else its a insult. His game is so different and hes a bonefide star.

I think its funny how perception rolls off the media. They are biased 65% of the time, and favor some programs like OSU.
There are people out there who will say one day Melo was never really that good, but with a straight face will say Lebron is the greatest ever.
Thats what the media does. Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom