Melo Ctr. vs. Dome | Syracusefan.com

Melo Ctr. vs. Dome

Kidcuse

Walk On
Everyone is wondering why the 3’s aren’t falling. While I suspect there is no single reason, there is one obvious possibility that no one is talking about and it’s the elephant in the room. When you practice in the Melo Ctr. virtually 100% of the time and then play your actual games in the Dome, there is a huge visual change that shooters probably find difficult to adjust to, whether they realize it or not. It might as well be an away game. The sight lines are different. The backgrounds are different. The over all feel is more spacious and distant. Most teams practice on the same court they play on, including ours prior to the Melo Ctr. You can’t tell me that practicing all week in a different venue from the one you actually compete in is not going to have an effect. It is. Especially on longer range shots.

Everyone is wondering why the 3’s aren’t falling. While I suspect there is no single reason, there is one obvious possibility that no one is talking about and it’s the elephant in the room. When you practice in the Melo Ctr. virtually 100% of the time and then play your actual games in the Dome, there is a huge visual change that shooters probably find difficult to adjust to, whether they realize it or not. It might as well be an away game. The sight lines are different. The backgrounds are different. The over all feel is more spacious and distant. Most teams practice on the same court they play on, including ours prior to the Melo Ctr. You can’t tell me that practicing all week in a different venue from the one you actually compete in is not going to have an effect. It is. Especially on longer range shots.
They didn't shoot it very well at MSG, either,

Interesting theory but the Melo Center has been open since 2009.

The Melo Center has been around awhile. It's not a new phenomenon. Previous teams have shot just fine. We are shooting incredibly poorly right now. Does your idea have an impact? Probably to some extent, but it certainly isn't the primary reason we couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat so far this year.

The Melo Center has been around awhile. It's not a new phenomenon. Previous teams have shot just fine. We are shooting incredibly poorly right now. Does your idea have an impact? Probably to some extent, but it certainly isn't the primary reason we couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat so far this year.

That's exactly what I meant by my post. You just elaborated much better than I felt like doing,

Our players get to play at the Carrier Dome far more than their opponents. It is different, but our players play enough in the Carrier Dome that it isn't an "away game". Our guys just aren't making the shots. Cooney has a history of, what appears to be, thinking too much. He will start making some and BJ and the other guys will start to feel more comfortable shooting, it is just a matter of time.

Excuses...we don't need no stinking excuses, we need some made treys!

Its not a bad thought, but unlikely since we shoot poorly in arenas of all shapes and sizes over the past couple years. And the good performances have come in the dome at times too, like Cooney's great shooting against Cornell and Notre Dame last year.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with your theory, thanks for your first post Kid. Keep posting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom