Melo - from the bleachers | Syracusefan.com

Melo - from the bleachers

Carmelo Anthony:
25,551 points in 38,129 minutes, 32.2 per 48 minutes.
He shot 0.482 from two, 0.347 from three and 0.811 from the line, a total of 1.640.
25,551 points - 11,224 missed field goals - 1,375 missed free throws = 12,952.
If Melo had made every one of his 16,436 two point shot attempts, his 3,925 three point shot attempts and his 7,290 free throw attempts, he would have scored 51,937 points, so he scored 49.2% of the points he would have if he'd made every shot.

Dwyane Wade:
23,165 points in 35,773 minutes, 31.1 per 48 minutes.
He shot 0.495 from two, 0.293 from three and 0.765 from the line, a total of 1.553.
23,165 points - 9,163 missed field goals - 1,755 missed free throws = 12,2 47.
If D-Wade had made every one of his 15,743 two point shot attempts, his 1,874 three point shot attempts and his 7,463 free throw attempts, he would have scored 44,571 points, so he scored 52.0% of the points he would have if he'd made every shot.

LeBron James
32,543 points in 46,235 minutes, 33.8 per 48 minutes.
He shot 0.548 from two, 0.343 from three and 0.736 from the line, a total of 1.627.
32,543 points - 11,640 missed field goals - 2,561 missed free throws = 18,342.
If LBJ had made every one of his 18,450 two point shot attempts, his 1,727 three point shot attempts and his 7,140 free throw attempts, he would have scored 61,685 points, so he scored 52.8% of the points he would have if he'd made every shot.

I'd say Carmelo was the best shooter but Dwayne was as good a scorer and LeBron, as always, was the head of the 2003 class.

Last edited:
I do feel bad about how Carmelo's career has gone the last couple of years.

We need to be thankful that he came into the league when he did or he would probably be having the same career as Jabari Parker right now.

We need to be thankful that he came into the league when he did or he would probably be having the same career as Jabari Parker right now.
images

Uh huh. Jabari's 16-17 before getting hurt was essentially the avg Carmelo season. Can ignore that it was due to Cuse love or whatever but Jabari was the closest replica to Melo I've ever seen. Injuries have cost him a step or 2 and now his ability to score in isolation is no longer elite which means he can't help a team win games while age has done the same to Melo.

Uh huh. Jabari's 16-17 before getting hurt was essentially the avg Carmelo season. Can ignore that it was due to Cuse love or whatever but Jabari was the closest replica to Melo I've ever seen. Injuries have cost him a step or 2 and now his ability to score in isolation is no longer elite which means he can't help a team win games while age has done the same to Melo.

And if my aunt had any balls, she’d be my uncle.

Last edited:
Yeah, and if someone is able to string together 15 or so "average" Carmelo seasons, they're one of the great scorers in NBA history and a first ballot Hall of Famer.

LOL - come on, man.

When Melo was young in the league, he was in a time where guys like Kobe, AI, Pau, Dirk, D-Wade, Duncan, Bron, CP3, etc were all in their primes. And he was still in the conversation of who was the best offensive player in the NBA. I honestly can't figure out if you're trolling or if you've forgotten that Melo had an entire career prior to the trade to OKC.

Ummm...no.
Jabari Parker never had Melo’s range, passing, nor big game skills. It’s not “Cuse love” or orange-colored glasses to know that you’re seriously under appreciating Melo w/ this post. Never heard a single player, college or pro, wax poetic about the great offensive abilities of Jabari Parker? Really? And other players know what a force Melo was, even if some of our own shortsighted fans do not.
Besides, injuries and “what ifs” don’t count. I for one could easily claim for example, that a healthy Jonny Flynn would be a top 5 PG in the league right now...but we’ll never know, will we?
Sorry, unlike Melo, Jabari Parker couldn’t carry a loaded Duke squad to a NC, nor did he accomplish anything noteworthy once in the association. The comparison is not even close. JMHO

No. Not even close. The average Melo season in his prime was way better than 20 and 6. 20 and 6 was rookie Melo or post knee surgery, past his prime Melo numbers.

Jabari was never as good as Melo at the same stage. That 2016-17 20 ppg in his 3rd season?? Melo averaged 27 ppg in his 3rd season.

20 ain’t 27.

Ummm...no.
Jabari Parker never had Melo’s range, passing, nor big game skills. It’s not “Cuse love” or orange-colored glasses to know that you’re seriously under appreciating Melo w/ this post. Never heard a single player, college or pro, wax poetic about the great offensive abilities of Jabari Parker? Really? And other players know what a force Melo was, even if some of our own shortsighted fans do not.
Besides, injuries and “what ifs” don’t count. I for one could easily claim for example, that a healthy Jonny Flynn would be a top 5 PG in the league right now...but we’ll never know, will we?
Sorry, unlike Melo, Jabari Parker couldn’t carry a loaded Duke squad to a NC, nor did he accomplish anything noteworthy once in the association. The comparison is not even close. JMHO

The diminishing of Melo has gone way too far when Cuse fans are putting him on par with Jabari Parker.

Yeah, and if someone is able to string together 15 or so "average" Carmelo seasons, they're one of the great scorers in NBA history and a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Yup. And the thing is, the “average” Carmelo season was actually much better than that. We’re talking about a guy who made All NBA teams(which means he’s roughly considered a top 10-15 player in the league) 6 times.

Yup. And the thing is, the “average” Carmelo season was actually much better than that. We’re talking about a guy who made All NBA teams(which means he’s roughly considered a top 10-15 player in the league) 6 times.
Exactly...you could argue that in his last few years in Denver, he was without question the best scorer in the league. He could score at any level, and was close to unguardable. Of course he's not near Lebron as a complete player, but as an offensive player, he was the best in the league.

The diminishing of Melo has gone way too far when Cuse fans are putting him on par with Jabari Parker.
The weird SELF-LOATHING of some of our fans is frankly, mind boggling.
Just don’t get the constant diminishing, the put downs, the almost eager willingness to point out negatives, and downplay positives. It’s like this bizarre rush to play the contrarian, in order to prove to the rest of us that our “Cuse love” or orange colored glasses are a mistake? Just...weird.

Exactly...you could argue that in his last few years in Denver, he was without question the best scorer in the league. He could score at any level, and was close to unguardable. Of course he's not near Lebron as a complete player, but as an offensive player, he was the best in the league.

At one of the olympics Lebron said that Melo was the best offensive player in the world.

UM no. The stats on NBA reference say otherwise. Clown post from you.

Let us know when Jabari scores an Olympic record 37 points in one game on 10-12 from 3 and all done in 15 minutes.

The weird SELF-LOATHING of some of our fans is frankly, mind boggling.
Just don’t get the constant diminishing, the put downs, the almost eager willingness to point out negatives, and downplay positives. It’s like this bizarre rush to play the contrarian, in order to prove to the rest of us that our “Cuse love” or orange colored glasses are a mistake? Just...weird.

I’m going to go to a Davidson board and tell them Steph Curry is fortunate to play in this era, otherwise he would’ve just been Mahmoud Abdul Rauf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom