Melo - from the bleachers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo - from the bleachers

There’s 15+ organizations Melo would’ve won a ring, or multiple, with had he not chosen MSG and the Knicks.

I hate the narrative that he only did it for the money too. Every athlete does it for the money, he’s not different. Melo’s a massive urban city activist who’s given back to not only impoverished in Syracuse, Baltimore and NYC but all over the world. It’s not a surprise he was drawn to NYC.

There’s 15+ organizations Melo would’ve won a ring, or multiple, with had he not chosen MSG and the Knicks.

I hate the narrative that he only did it for the money too. Every athlete does it for the money, he’s not different. Melo’s a massive urban city activist who’s given back to not only impoverished in Syracuse, Baltimore and NYC but all over the world. It’s not a surprise he was drawn to NYC.

The whole obsession with “rings” is out of hand.

Melo led the Nuggets to the playoffs 7 straight times and to the WCF. They had been the worst franchise in the league for a decade before he got there.

And then Melo led the Knicks to 3 straight playoffs and a 54 win season. They had also arguably been the worst franchise in the league for a decade prior to him going there.

A guy being the building block to solid success with previously horrific franchises is nothing to mock.

If people want to judge him by his post knee surgery twilight years in NY or OKC, they’re not really being honest. We judge players by their primes. Melo from like 2006-2014 was one of the best players in the league.

Melo led the Nuggets to the playoffs 7 straight times and to the WCF. They had been the worst franchise in the league for a decade before he got there.

And then Melo led the Knicks to 3 straight playoffs and a 54 win season. They had also arguably been the worst franchise in the league for a decade prior to him going there.

A guy being the building block to solid success with previously horrific franchises is nothing to mock.

If people want to judge him by his post knee surgery twilight years in NY or OKC, they’re not really being honest. We judge players by their primes. Melo from like 2006-2014 was one of the best players in the league.
Good post. I really hate the "his teams never won" and "he never made his teammates better" nonsense that seems to follow him around, even on this board. His Denver teams consistently won around 50 games and instantly became a playoff team upon his arrival, and he led the Knicks to some pretty solid seasons under less than ideal circumstances.

Last edited:
Good post. I really hate the "his teams never won" and "he never made his teammates better" nonsense that seems to follow him around, even on this board. His Denver teams consistently won around of 50 games and instantly became a playoff team upon his arrival, and he led the Knicks to some pretty solid seasons under less than ideal circumstances.

These are the same idiots who complained about Durant joining the Warriors.

These are the same idiots who complained about Durant joining the Warriors.

Went nuts about LeBron going to Miami, and then went nuts when Melo didn’t go to Chicago to play with broken down Rose and about to break down Noah, and then said nothing when broken down Rose and Noah went to NY and did nothing.

You'd be hard pressed to find a professional athlete with a more impressive philanthropic track record.

This is absolutely true about other organizations, however, he probably could've done it with the
Knicks also, but the money thing is very important. He was just about to be a free agent, but he
forced the trade during the season so he could sign an extension under the rules in place at the
time, which was why the NBA went to a lockout basically the moment the season ended and
returned with new guidelines. Had he simply signed with the Knicks as a free agent, they wouldn't
have had to lose six players and three draft picks. They received Chauncey with Melo, but that was
only other positive they acquired.

Kev

This is absolutely true about other organizations, however, he probably could've done it with the
Knicks also, but the money thing is very important. He was just about to be a free agent, but he
forced the trade during the season so he could sign an extension under the rules in place at the
time, which was why the NBA went to a lockout basically the moment the season ended and
returned with new guidelines. Had he simply signed with the Knicks as a free agent, they wouldn't
have had to lose six players and three draft picks. They received Chauncey with Melo, but that was

Kev

I have seen no evidence that the Knicks organization has ever had their stuff together to win a championship at any point in the last 20 years, no matter what.

And regardless, they had already sank a max contract into Amare before the Melo trade even happened. They were already screwed by the dead weight that contract would become once Amare got hurt.

Kev

Melo didn't force the Knicks to trade for him at the end of the day they didn't have to do anything. He didn't work in the Knicks front office while playing for the Nuggets.

You mentioned Billups that leads to one of the worst decision in the franchise. They picked up Billups option then used the amnesty a couple weeks later instead of just not using the option and letting him walk. They used up their chance to amesty Amare by making that stupid mistake. Then they had MDA who loves the 1/5 pick and roll and they used the free money to sign Tyson Chandler to go along with Melo and Amare on the front line which is opposite of what their coach likes run on offense.

Im going to tell Georgetown fans that if Patrick Ewing played in this era he’d be Jahlil Okafor...just kidding, I’m not talking to those people.

Jah put up some good numbers this year when he got the minutes.

Kev

Melo screwed this up, but at the time I recall him doing an interview or something where he said he wanted to position the Nuggets to get something for him because he still liked the fans and organization and didn't want to go through everything that happened with 'Bron and that circus. It seemed like solid reasoning, that horribly backfired against him.

He wanted out mid-season, but I think he wanted to position everyone to win out in the deal. That was his mistake.

Totally agree and it really drives me nuts. I hate this ring obsession especially in this day and age when people just join with other players to win rings. It is so meaningless. Melo in his prime was the best offensive player of his generation in my opinion.

I’m going to go to tell anyone that will listen in Indiana that Larry Bird is fortunate to play in this era, otherwise he would have been Doug McDermott.

Carmelo Anthony:
25,551 points in 38,129 minutes, 32.2 per 48 minutes.
He shot 0.482 from two, 0.347 from three and 0.811 from the line, a total of 1.640.
25,551 points - 11,224 missed field goals - 1,375 missed free throws = 12,952.
If Melo had made every one of his 16,436 two point shot attempts, his 3,925 three point shot attempts and his 7,290 free throw attempts, he would have scored 51,937 points, so he scored 49.2% of the points he would have if he'd made every shot.

Dwyane Wade:
23,165 points in 35,773 minutes, 31.1 per 48 minutes.
He shot 0.495 from two, 0.293 from three and 0.765 from the line, a total of 1.553.
23,165 points - 9,163 missed field goals - 1,755 missed free throws = 12,2 47.
If D-Wade had made every one of his 15,743 two point shot attempts, his 1,874 three point shot attempts and his 7,463 free throw attempts, he would have scored 44,571 points, so he scored 52.0% of the points he would have if he'd made every shot.

LeBron James
32,543 points in 46,235 minutes, 33.8 per 48 minutes.
He shot 0.548 from two, 0.343 from three and 0.736 from the line, a total of 1.627.
32,543 points - 11,640 missed field goals - 2,561 missed free throws = 18,342.
If LBJ had made every one of his 18,450 two point shot attempts, his 1,727 three point shot attempts and his 7,140 free throw attempts, he would have scored 61,685 points, so he scored 52.8% of the points he would have if he'd made every shot.

I'd say Carmelo was the best shooter but Dwayne was as good a scorer and LeBron, as always, was the head of the 2003 class.

Could you add Jabari to this calculation? :)

Melo did more in Denver than AD has done in New Orleans. By a wide margin. Supporting cast is pretty equal Holliday is better than anyone Melo had including washed up AI.

We need to be thankful he didn’t go into the league a year earlier.

Sure. But he wasn't hyped to the point of LeBron could have gone mid-late first and found himself on the same team with an established star who played the same game as him and needed a lot of shots he still would have had a good career but the path might not be similar. His year at SU and then entering the league as the established franchise player his new team before he played a single game worked out pretty well for him (making every Olympic team and all star game etc etc.)

Who knows how Dwayne Wade's career goes if he doesn't get drafted by the team that ended up getting Shaq his second season. (And a lot of very good vets pretty much within a couple years of him getting drafted by the Heat picked up Shaq, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, Gary Payton, James Posey, Derek Anderson.)

Sure. But he wasn't hyped to the point of LeBron could have gone mid-late first and found himself on the same team with an established star who played the same game as him and needed a lot of shots he still would have had a good career but the path might not be similar. His year at SU and then entering the league as the established franchise player his new team before he played a single game worked out pretty well for him (making every Olympic team and all star game etc etc.)

Who knows how Dwayne Wade's career goes if he doesn't get drafted by the team that ended up getting Shaq his second season. (And a lot of very good vets pretty much within a couple years of him getting drafted by the Heat picked up Shaq, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, Gary Payton, James Posey, Derek Anderson.)

I was referring to the national championship. I don’t much care about the NBA career.

Although the early money was the biggest part of the practice facility.

If you ever wonder why he’s my favorite SU player of all time and #2 isn’t very close, read those two paragraphs above again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom